What a Racket! Bangra Din

• 23 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: September 24, 2019, 08:11:47 PM »
This is what happens when there is no plan, no direction....no idea what genre it is, part of my Genre Jumping suite...if you know which pigeon hole to stuff it, answers on a postcard to:

Wood Lane
London W1 A 2AA

Remember that? you might win a Crackerjack pencil... 8)

Any gloves off/on/no gloves at all critique is fair game by me, and I'll take on board any that I think will improve it.

Sorry I haven't contributed much lately, should be able to do a bit more soon...I have been able to listen to some of your songs here and blimey it's pretty blimmin marvellous.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 09:00:08 PM »
Wotcha Rich @cowparsleyman Love your genre jumping stylee. Wah ! What a mish mash of styles this is. Really enjoyed the listen,  such a lot going on. Loved that funky bass solo in particular but enjoyed the whole listen. Excellently executed and produced

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 08:58:51 AM »
@pompeyjazz - Thanks John, glad you liked it, What do I know...Bhangra, well I never...I'll have a word with Peter Glaze and get that pencil off to you...

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 02:43:16 PM »
excellent
a new one from you.
ok, a tad mad, lol.
I wonder what DAW you're using? (... a Collaboration?)
lovely playful dance track, with such tracks, when they're well done hint at the esoteric for me, in a good way.
I enjoyed the listen!! thanks!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 08:00:00 PM »
@Rightly - You're welcome,  you are a brave man for taking a dip into the murky waters of this part of my musical brain - god knows where it's yucked away, maybe near the hyperpottamus, glad you dig it, yeah it was a bit a bit mad, but I was losing patience with a few songs and just wanted to put something thumping together, with a bit of spice and mango chutters.

I use Magix Samplitude pro X3 which is a superb piece of software. Yeah I'm up for a collab if you want..

Rich

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 09:18:57 PM »
Very cool, CPM...I enjoyed the ride.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 10:03:35 PM »
Yeah, very cool... I often admire the way I have no idea where your songs are going to take me... even when they are half way through, anything can still happen.  Excellent mishmash of influences here.  I'm also a complete sucker for a bit of chanting in one of the Indian languages (Kula Shaker rocked) so it ticked multiple boxes for me - and that hyperactive ferret of a bassline towards the end was a parting bonus - proper fonky, man.  Top notch.
It's all too beautiful.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 06:26:42 PM »
It all sound fabulous which is an aspect of your stuff that I am in awe of...yes the funky bass is a highlight when it appears. So is the funky key thing that comes in towards the end. So I like the funky bits the best! And the opening percussion is nice..

I can't fault it really...super dancy track with a lot of neat invention throughout...like the plucky interlude at 2.30ish.
Lots of different things popping up....listening again...oh yes I like the funky keys!

As PaulAds says, I enjoyed the ride.

Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 06:40:52 PM »
Yeah. I liked it too CowMan rattles along very well. It's quite mellow really and enjoyable to listen to. I loved the vocals when they came in and my only want would be for perhaps more vocals. Cheers Micky

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 09:07:24 PM »
Thanks very much all for listening, as always greatly appreciated, and the comments are gratefully received.

@mickyplankton - Sorry about the drought of vocals, I'll make a Monsoon for the next one.

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - Dear Viscount - Didn't know you were a funky monkey, I always remember  when I first joined the forum, your reputation on the brass arrangements preceded you, I got a lot of ideas from you..

I'm rather keen on perc, we had a percussionist in one of my jazz funk bands and I seemed to play better when he was around, he was one of those rare dudes that seemed to play what I would have done were I able to play perc.

The funky bass section wasn't meant to feature at all...so I'm gald a couple of you liked it, just popped that in to fill a gap and provide a means of changing the flow abit, a precusor to the funky bass at the end.

The 'funky key thing' is a Clavinet - Stevie Wonder was keen on it - Superstition starts with one, they and Rhodes/Wurlis always seem to always have a place in the more dancey songs I do.

@PaulyX - Thanks for the kind words, the truth is Paul I get very bored very quickly with music, If I able to guess what's coming next too often then I switch off to 'anyone fancy a pint' mode...There was a great quote I remember from Jerry Coker's 'Improvising Jazz' book..Try and get the predictability of your solo right on 50% predictable - any more then people will get bored and switch off, any less and they'll switch off because they don't understand it, I  based my solos in my early jazz days on this principle, and it kind of stuck.

Yeah I liked Kula Shaker, they painted such wonderful musical images in my head...go Vinda jiyah jiyah n'all that jazz.

I'll try and keep my notch as top as I can. Thanks again.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:05:39 PM by cowparsleyman »

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 10:58:33 AM »
Hi CPM, I shall be writing to 'Points of view' to complain about this cultural appropriation ::) ;D. Really enjoyed this, great mix of sounds and ideas. Loved the bass guitar stuff and the vocals. I would liked to have heard more vocalisation and maybe some vocal harmonies too.
Excellent production!
Cheers
Jamie

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 01:54:24 PM »
Ha!! What a pick and mix! Reminds me of my mums old "leftover" stew...throw all kinds of things together and hope for the best!!🤪
THIS stew turned out alright! (many didn't!🤢) it kept my interest mate and if u cant have fun trying different stuff out...then why are we doing it??😁🎶👊🏻🎶

t.wretborn

• Busker
  • Hobby musician from Sweden.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 05:43:55 PM »
Not my genre but it was interesting :P
I like the first 45 seconds, that has a nice atmosphere.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 08:27:36 PM »
Yo Rich @cowparsleyman

Heh,I dig this one for sure.

A multicultural collage of sounds and styles all welded together with some great panache and élan!

I too am a fan of the funky bass,'tis a mighty groove you plough. Sweet percussion touches and that piano dropping in around 45 seconds had me thinking another track had started to play on another browser!  ;D

Keep on keeping on.  8)