Synth Folk

• 13 Replies

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« on: September 20, 2019, 08:56:56 AM »

Hi

Thought it was about time I stopped by ;D .  I know a few of you have been trying to contact me....yep, I'm still alive ;D ;D
 Had a bit of a 'time' of it though ::)  Hardly picked up a guitar in the last few months, and have been in the beautiful Kent countryside, convalescing and
 being looked after by my daughter.  On the plus side...my hearing is improving.  It's really quiet here, and we've had a great summer.  So things could've
 been worse ;D

Anyway.....by way of a 'HELLO' ;D .  Here's something that I put together a while ago, but never got around to posting it here.  It's a fusion of some traditional
 Irish folk music and some synth music.......or my attempt at it ;D

https://soundcloud.com/binladeda/synth-folk 

Nice to see the old faces still around, and living the dream. ;D ;D . Hope to be back amongst you all very soon.

take care ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »
Hi Bin, good to hear from you. Well this IS different. It's a hypnotic piece, cleverly put together as we might expect. I admire your forays into different musical genres  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 08:50:52 PM »
Good to hear from you... we woz getting worried.  What a thoroughly inventive track... the genre hopper returns.  Like prog, the structure is wonderfully unpredictable and the melange of trad celtic music, world music influences and 80s style synth works way better than it sounds like it should on paper!  Really rather fascinating.
It's all too beautiful.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 09:14:56 PM »
Very, very enjoyable! Thanks for posting it! Got no nits....

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 09:15:35 PM »
Hi

I Listened to both Caparcallie and Erasure in my youth, though not at the same time! I never thought would hear those traditional reels mixed with the synths, but here it is!

I have to say that it really worked on this track, partly because the synth lead melody and timing was so well done.

Im not sure if it will take off as a Genre, but I enjoyed it!

James

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 11:14:47 PM »
It's different fo'sure but it's quite catchy and likeable. The percussion is very interesting and certainly draws the listener in. The synth is levelled very nicely in the track; it's there and it contributes but it doesn't over power the trad instruments (like the whistle and fiddle) or the chanting either. Cleverly done. Never thought a Clannad-meets- Depeche Mode track would appeal to me so much!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 11:21:38 PM »
Well @Binladeda this is obviously right up my street from a genre perspective. I presume you are familiar with Moving Hearts, one of my favourite bands of all times but this probably reminds me a little more of Afro Celt Sound System (I guess you know them but if not, check them out, you'd love them I suspect!).. Intrigued as to what the vocal piece is.. Enjoyed this very much - an interesting fusion..

K

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 09:55:06 PM »
Yo Bin,good to hear you are still with us!  8)

Love the song,has a real Paddy groove. The synths add spice to the mix!

Get well soon,brother.  :)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 02:30:28 PM »
I thought this was really great. Put a heart on it and everything. Glad you're feeling okay and making cool music still.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 01:49:26 PM »
Hi Bin, good to hear from you, glad your ok. Really enjoyed this, had I heard it without knowing who it was I would never have guessed it was you. Really good!
Good stuff
Cheers
Jamie

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 10:43:47 AM »
Huge fan of Caperaillie (not Irish but...) and definitely got a lot of that vibe from this one. I think folk is a hugely underrated genre, and things like this help remind a wider audience of the appeal. I also felt some African rhythms here - it's a really fun and listenable piece. Hope you continue to do well!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 11:27:32 AM »
Hello Bin...great to hear you're on the mend.

Excellent yet strange mix up of different styles, brought together expertly...thanks for dropping in and giving us a little treat!

Hope you're back firing on all cylinders soon...good luck, buddy :-)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 12:36:50 PM »
Whato Bin - Glad you're feeling with it again, and on the mend.

Lovely to hear this track, I'll send you my bill for the worn out carpets and physio bills due to all that Irish dancing (the almost essential pulling of muscles that goes with it)  8)

Can't wait to hear more from you, I have to admit I was rather worried that your hearing might not get better. Hope the Family is well too.

Prod wise that 5 dB 100hz Q notch around 8.3k...only kidding... 8) like Vicky said not a nit to be seen, and honestly can't add anything, although I though I heard a Capercaille going by as Adam said.

All the best Man

Rich

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 03:36:41 PM »
Bin, nailed the Folk bit at the beginning and then cleaver cut'n'shunt with the synth.
And it keeps on giving.
Could be a hit with a named producer at the helm and a fat bass drum beat.
Perhaps you could repeated and integrated the folky reel bits in a bit more but it sounded really good.
Going to have another spin
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..