Thank you song.

• 17 Replies

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« on: September 18, 2019, 11:22:37 PM »
Hello everyone,

Sooo...I wrote this as a present for a mate of mine whose turning 40 next month, it’s for her, but I have hopefully left the lyrics open wide so that it can be for anyone?🤷🏼‍♂️😄

i wrote it on my uke and it’s simply C and Fminor repeated over and over again, but I love the challenge of writing different melodies to the same progression.

All thoughts\suggestions are welcome please, as this will be going on my next album.

Many thanks as always
Leo

https://soundcloud.com/leo-b-5/thank-you-song

Lyrics
Thought I’d write a thank you song
Thought I’d let you know just how I feel
Tell you that you’re number one
Tell you that you’re dear to my heart

Something ‘bout the words you say
Something ‘bout the way they make me feel
Yeah you could make a vampires day
And I know I’m lucky

Cos I got you yeah yeah
When I need a friend you’re on the way
And this is my thank you song
When I feel blue yeah yeah
You know how to make me smile again
And this is my thank you song

Anyone that knows you can see they have found a treasure
I’ve been trying to tell you this in what feels like forever
You’re a star my dear, that is why this songs for you

Thought I’d write a thank you song
Thought I’d let you shush me for a change
Turn you pink like bubblegum
When I say how lovely you are

Something ‘bout the words you say
Something ‘bout the way they make me feel
Yeah you know how to make my day
And I feels so lucky.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 08:46:19 AM »
Radio ready song, top singing and fab harmonies, loved the Beach boys bit towards the end, just thought the instrumentaion could've changed a little maybe at around 1.30 where it seemed a bit too empty after the first minute which was quite empty but it worked very well...doing it again at 1.30 didn't quite work for me...
but..clutching at straws mate..it's up there innit!!! lorra talent on show here my friend! :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 10:26:13 AM »
As Kev says, Radio ready Leo. As usual your vocals are outstanding. It's a very modern sounding piece with clever arrangement and instrument choice. Love the harmonies that you've thrown in there. My only minor nit is the finger clicks, maybe a little loud, but hey, that's a minor, minor, minor thang. Top quality as usual. Love the acapella section btw  :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 02:47:16 PM »
This is absolutely lovely! I love the idea, the purpose of the song. We need more songs like this. The rhythm, melody and the great way you have of phrasing is wonderful. The arrangement, the harmonies...I just love how it all sounds.

Crits. I have a few. Do with them as you wish. They're minor.

A couple instances of the word "that" could be dropped. In fact, it would provide space for nice, dramatic?, pauses, like: "Tell you....you're number one" and "Tell you...you're dear to my heart".

I noticed you sang "you" instead of "that" in "Anyone that knows you can see they have found a treasure" I strongly approve of using "you"!

And [sorry I'm so critical] you indulged in one of my pet peeves: a lot of the "you" words came out "choo" or "djoo", which almost always (there are exceptions) sounds mushy and messy to me.

That's it from me.

Vicki

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 03:36:00 PM »
Hi, brilliantly written, performed and arranged.Loved it even though its not really my genre. You have talent.
Should be a hit, if theres any justice(which there isn't of course, listen to what counts as a hit these days ::))
Cheers
Jamie

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 09:36:13 PM »
I'm beyond impressed at how you weave so many melodies around just 2 chords... it doesn't get samey at all.  It's not my genre but I still really liked it - super warm vocals, especially in the acapella breakdown.  Wasn't sure about the vampire line but that's the only nit I can find in a super poppy, optimistic & smile inducing well produced track.  I hope your mate liked it.
It's all too beautiful.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 09:43:43 PM »
@shadowfax Cheers Kev, I appreciate your thoughts man. Yeah, it’s a bit empty on the second verse, that was my plan though, strip it all back but make it a little different to verse one with the bv’s, then build towards the end of the chorus bit. I’m glad u told me though, cos a lot of the time if someone brings up something that’s on my mind a bit then I do make adjustments. Thanks mate.😄🎶👊🏻🎶

@pompeyjazz Thanks as always man, I think I’ve turned them down a little now by addressing another issue that I wasn’t happy with. Cheers John!🎶👊🏻🎶

@CaliaMoko thanks Vicki, 🎶🙌🏻🎶I’m glad you like it,😄👍🏻 sorry for the bits that bugged you, but ha, can you imagine what would happen if we corrected the way everybody sings and made them use the perfect English??....well so many classic songs we know and love would not exist, or at least sound very different!😜

@Jamie thank you sir for your kind feedback.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 12:09:08 AM »
...but ha, can you imagine what would happen if we corrected the way everybody sings and made them use the perfect English??....well so many classic songs we know and love would not exist, or at least sound very different!😜

Indeed! I love the Everly Brothers, for instance, but it grates on my nerves every time I hear them sing "When I wanchew in my arms". I must have taken my grammar lessons much too seriously when I was young. Ruined me forever.... <<sigh>>

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 11:23:11 PM »
Nice dynamic in this number and very easily listened to. It's got quite a bit of contrast to it. The opening verses sound like a trap number, there's little movement in the melody and then when the chorus comes it's like pure pop with a banging vocal melody. Much bigger fan of the pop chorus that I was of the opening verses I must confess. The 'blueeeee' and 'yeaaaah' really pushes the chorus topline to a different level and there's clever harmonies. Very slight nit was the synth that comes in on the 'anybody that knows you part' (only the second time around, I think?); not sure what it added and it kinda grate against the rest of the polished track for me.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 11:42:10 PM »
Perfect Pop Leo @LostBoy - works very well... Lovely melody and vocal line and of course always that gorgeous vocal... I gotta say though I think this would work even better with a heavier treatment and backing... Of course, then it would be something very different and probably not at all what you were going for.. Acappella section works very well.. And I love the spoken words - I've heard you do this before and it works really well.. admire the confidence and ease with which you deliver it (I couldn't!!) ..

Nice work, sir!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 07:11:06 PM »
@PaulyX Ah thanks very much mate! 😄👍🏻 Yeah the vampire line is me trying to be clever....what would it take to make a vampires DAY?? something pretty special right? ...anyway...I love the line and my mate loves vampires so it works for us at least.😊👍🏻

@Sing4me88 Thanks for your kind feedback mate.

@MonnoDB Thanks very much Karen, I just wanted to keep this light, fluffy and fun, but it’s always interesting hearing the same song in different styles for sure.😄🎶👊🏻🎶 I’ve made some adjustments regarding your pm. Thanks very much for that.😄👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 09:08:14 PM »
Star quality vocals and lovely bright and airy sound...i found it quite difficult to offer much in the way of insight because it's a style of music that's far more contemporary than anything i understand...i'll just have to stick to saying i think it's a quality song performed exceptionally well.

I admire your using that "vampire" line...it reminded me of the Leslie Nielsen film where he's playing Dracula and says he's having a day-mare and keeps a straight face.

The sign of real pro!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 01:04:08 PM »
Leo,
Fine sweet modern pop tune here. straightforward direct lyrics allied to a catchy tune which builds nicely.
All top which those honeyed vocals
I am sure friend was honoured
Lots to like here.
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 03:38:14 PM »
@PaulAds @Neil C Thanks very much guys!!😁🎶🙌🏻🎶🙌🏻🎶

t.wretborn

• Busker
  • Hobby musician from Sweden.
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »
What a happy tune! Lovely! I can't do happy songs cos I'm always grey. Got a summer feeling and then as the harmonies came in the middle it was Christmas all of a sudden. Catchy! I don't have anything negative really. The vocal arrangements are clever and interesting.
Well done!