• 22 Replies

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 06:42:52 PM »
@adamfarr @Skub @Wicked Deeds @The S thanks for all your encouragement folks. The song doesn't feel quite so good in the cold light of the morning (afternoon/ whatever) after, but it's still a great feeling to have cleared the blockage. Hopefully it's freed me up to do something a little different too...

@MonnoDB - wow! So glad you like my song so much. I might blush! Would love to hear the song it inspired if you fancy sharing?
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 07:35:07 PM »
Nice one Tone! I'm curious to know whether, now that you've unlocked the writers block after 3 years, if you've found the lull in songwriting productivity useful or constructive in any way? Have you changed your process, noticed any change in your musical style or tried any new techniques OR have you literally picked up where you left off three years ago in terms of style, technique, influences etc? Do you think the undoubtedly frustrating experience has, or could potentially, make you a 'better', if not 'different', songwriter, OR was it just a massive pain in the arse that you'd rather forget? 

I encounter different degrees of writers block/lack of inspiration/ wear and tear of real life quite often so I'm trying to see what works for others and if there's any positives to be gained from the downtime. Any nuggets of wisdom you can offer greatly accepted!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 11:26:21 AM »
@Sing4me88 I wouldn't say I've found it productive or useful - at least not so far. The song is definitely in my usual 'style' but if anything I'm looking to move away from that, so maybe that's one of the lessons I've learned from being away. Lyrically I definitely found something new to say, but 4 years is a long time and I've changed a huge amount in that time, so it's not surprising that new themes are appearing. Having said that, some of the old ones were still there, and that's also something I'm looking to change.

I suppose what I experienced wasn't what I would call downtime. I wasn't consciously deciding to not write a song, I was just too busy, stressed, preoccupied to find headspace to give it.

Sorry if that's not very helpful. Ask me in 3 months from now and I may have something interesting to say about it!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2019, 04:12:46 AM »
Ironic contrast with my own situation.  I'm trying to quit writing . . . and failing miserably.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2019, 12:46:33 PM »
@tone - What an interesting thread...a Wizard of Oz type peep behind the curtain of a songwriter...I have never suffered from this as I don't consider myself a song writer, I'm more of an artist and ideas things come to me, I don't go looking for them, I never sit down and say Now I'm going to write a song, it just doesn't happen that way, it's always the idea comes and I ride that wave.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 10:30:28 AM »
@tone - What an interesting thread...a Wizard of Oz type peep behind the curtain of a songwriter...I have never suffered from this as I don't consider myself a song writer, I'm more of an artist and ideas things come to me, I don't go looking for them, I never sit down and say Now I'm going to write a song, it just doesn't happen that way, it's always the idea comes and I ride that wave.
Hi CMP, interesting reply. It's funny because it doesn't really happen that way for me either. I mean, I do sometimes go looking for an idea, but in general, a song doesn't emerge unless it comes looking for me. What gets the song to a point of being finished is more a tightrope act between the two.

For example, the song that prompted this thread is in quite a fluid state now. I was going to consign it to the song graveyard, but there were a couple of bits I liked in it. So now I'm rewriting sections, rearranging it, re-evaluating it and generally giving it a thorough shakedown. The song that emerges (assuming one does) will likely be quite different from the original song I wrote - the one that 'came looking for me'. Of all my songs that I consider to be my best ones, this has been my process with perhaps only one exception.

Creative pursuits are pretty weird when you really stop to consider them, eh?

Kim Noel

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 04:23:54 PM »
I know, I know. Settle down. For most of you this is like washing your hair, but I have not written a song for 3 years! 4 if you don't count the not-quite-finished song I wrote during the first year of drought.

Just had to tell someone! Thanks for listening :D

well done

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 06:50:12 PM »

Hi Tone,  Hope all is well in your world ;D

Yeah, I agree with @Skub  .......Oh dear, did I just say that ;D ;D ;D

You've got the music in you.....it has to come out.  Don't worry my friend, you'll soon be obsessed  ;D ;D

take care

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran