Poll

What shall we call the Forum Bond album?

Lots of Time to Die
4 (40%)
Conned
2 (20%)
No Common Time to Die
1 (10%)
4/4 Time to Die
0 (0%)
No Time to Disco
0 (0%)
Times to Die
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 16, 2020, 11:26:10 AM

Wanna write the Bond theme?

• 160 Replies

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« on: September 16, 2019, 08:17:36 PM »
So, here's an idea for a kind of slow burn mini-comp with 8 months to work on it...
I've always wondered what it would be like to write a Bond theme.  Last Bond movie "Spectre", Radiohead wrote their own version of the theme that wasn't used, but many said was actually better than the official theme:
https://vimeo.com/188651189
I thought it was interesting how different artists treat the same brief.  We now know the title of the next Bond film that comes out in April: "No Time to Die".  (I.e. it is almost exactly the same in meaning as "Die Another Day"  :o).)
Anyone fancy writing their own version of that Bond theme, as if you were writing to that brief?  I thought it could be fun seeing what a few of us come up with.  Could be a big Bassey belter ("Goldfinger" et al) or a Matt Monro croon ("From Russia...") or a Madonna piece of technobabble ("Die Another Day") or a pop-tastic piece of spy-synth a la Aha / Duran... the tropes are there to be played with.
It shouldn't get in the way of the Christmas/New Year comp though, so maybe it's not a full comp... just post your theme here any time between now and when the movie comes out, and we could take a poll on it then.
Any 00s up for the mission?
It's all too beautiful.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 08:55:08 PM »
I'm up for the task. I write a Bond theme every time there is a new release. It never fails to tick all the creative boxes and test writing skills. My last effort is in the link below, written about an enormous  spider's web that appeared in my garden one morning almost as if it was the work of a Spectre in the night.

https://m.soundcloud.com/pvasey1/spectre

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 09:08:00 PM »
Wow Paul that's brilliant! Better than the Radiohead one probably! You're obviously well practised in the genre... bookies favourite already!
It's all too beautiful.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 02:05:28 AM »
I might give it a go :)

Andyb

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 10:53:58 AM »
Like this idea a lot in fact I have a tune in the works that would fit this brief perfectly however due to my set up I've a feeling its going to end up like the Jack White / Alicia Keys - another way to die ! (which is the coolest Bond them IMO)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 04:38:09 PM »
Was thinking oh, what about a Charlie's Angels theme for inspiration, could be in a similar universe. How wrong I was.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 07:03:33 PM »
Oooh I really like the idea of this comp!! Count me in.🎶👊🏻🎶

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 11:54:21 AM »
Sorry not for me.

Girlinside

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »
I’d write some lyrics if anyone wanted to pear up

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 04:39:23 PM »
Latest from twitter. I for one am curious...

James Bond @007
The #NoTimeToDie title song will be performed by @billieeilish. Billie has written the song with her brother @finneas and is the youngest artist in history to write and record a James Bond theme song.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 06:29:20 PM »
First impression... I'm not curious. To be honest I've not got a good feeling about this. Never heard of her but just checked out some of her songs and... not really feeling any Bond vibe from her style of music. I REALLY hope I'm wrong but that's just my first impression.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 08:04:49 PM »
I'm a fan of Billie Eilish and was intrigued when her name first started being bandied about in relation to the Bond theme. She really nails the dark and moody pop vibe so I reckon it could be a good fit, even if that means a freshening up by moving away from the 'big' cinematic power ballads that are traditionally the sound track for Bond....

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
@Sterix never heard of her till now? How?! Yes she is poppy and millennial which may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think she (plus her brother) are super clever writers (and producers). True, this may continue the trend of moving away from the muscular Bond themes of the past but then Bond seems to be evolving too... (By the way, I hated Sam Smith's bond theme at the time but am even warming to that one)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 11:08:30 AM »
Damn it, she's only 18 and I just saw that her 'Bad Guy' video on YouTube has got something like 718 million views. I suppose that's a bit better than the 7 or 8 plays a day I get on Soundcloud. But mine are 'quality' plays, obviously.

I always thought youth and talent was no match for age and treachery, but maybe time to reconsider on that.

But she looks like she's got an amazing career in front of her. I'm not jealous at all.  :)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860