Poll

What shall we call the Forum Bond album?

Lots of Time to Die
4 (40%)
Conned
2 (20%)
No Common Time to Die
1 (10%)
4/4 Time to Die
0 (0%)
No Time to Disco
0 (0%)
Times to Die
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 16, 2020, 11:26:10 AM

Wanna write the Bond theme?

• 160 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 08:01:07 PM »
@Sterix never heard of her till now? How?!
To be honest I stopped listening to the radio years ago so my interaction with anything approaching  "mainstream" is limited at best (I pretty much drown myself in metal nowadays). It's not that I don't like any of it, I just can't be arsed having my ears assaulted with drivel to hear the tiny percentage that's good. "Mainstream" peaked in '88 and died somewhere at the turn of the century for me.

Yes she is poppy and millennial which may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think she (plus her brother) are super clever writers (and producers).
I didn't listen long enough to the three songs I sounded out to notice. They just didn't pull me in enough to listen to each that long. They can be great writers but if the music doesn't do it for you then it's a moot point.

True, this may continue the trend of moving away from the muscular Bond themes of the past but then Bond seems to be evolving too...
Sorry, I'm not allowed to debate about the current Bond - a co-worker told me so today when I told him "Actually, I quite liked Timothy Dalton as Bond". Apparently I commited a cardinal sin and have been punished with being silent on the subject! :P

(By the way, I hated Sam Smith's bond theme at the time but am even warming to that one)
Uhhhh... did you HAVE to remind me of that pile of manure (the song, not Sam Smith!)? I could live to a hundred and fifty and that song will still make me want to kill the producers who thought it was a good idea!   ;D

But like I said, hopefully I'm wrong and they write a good (or at least decent) Bond song. I'm just not sure I see it going off what I heard.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 10:09:32 PM »
@Sterix - there's no shame in Timothy Dalton.  I'm with you there brutha.  Also your views on the Sam Smith song.
I've heard of (but not heard) Billie Eillish, this'll be a reason to give her a spin.  I get the impression she straddles the line between millennial pop and indie (at least my local hipster record shop was not too ashamed to include her in its list of albums of the year).
Anyone having any joy with your Bond themes?  I've got as far as Bondy-chords I'm pleased with, and some lyrics, but am hitting a brick wall with production... finding it hard to start on something that needs to feel "big".  Better step up my efforts to get mine done before Billie.
It's all too beautiful.

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 12:09:56 AM »
Anyone having any joy with your Bond themes?  I've got as far as Bondy-chords I'm pleased with, and some lyrics, but am hitting a brick wall with production... finding it hard to start on something that needs to feel "big".  Better step up my efforts to get mine done before Billie.

During the usual New Years Day Bond film I came up with a "Bondy" effort, "Kiss the World Goodnight". It does unfortunately contain the lyric "the good old days were shite" which suggests its far from finished. Don`t think Billie has got much to worry about.  :D

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 08:50:45 AM »
@5 guys named Lars sounds pretty close to me. "Perfect is the enemy of shite"

@Sterix I now see that you and Billie are probably incompatible. Sorry for you both.

@PaulyX I'm getting to a similar ambitious stage. But does it have to be big? Were they all as big as we remember? Will Billie's be big? Is big overrated? So many questions...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 01:04:06 PM »
@adamfarr

@paulyx

How about a "new way of looking at it Bond Film" Lyric...

Then and now...
Was a...
Swanky bloke with a dinner suit,
Licensed to kill, maim and shoot,
Loads of birds in his bed
never got the clap, well that's what he said.

Things are very different now
Hacking cough from all those fags
Semi D in deepest Slough
Number of times his packed his bags
Coz his missus constantly nags

Can't do that thing with a bowler hat
No db5, nope none of that
No ejector seat or rocket thrower
just a shed, a patio and a motor mower

007, 007
is that your idea of gone to heaven?
lining up in an Argos queue
hope that kids will
recognise you

Anyway I'll get back to my lunchtime now...hope you dig....

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 01:35:08 PM by cowparsleyman »

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2020, 08:45:21 AM »
Ha @cowparsleyman , that’s a great anti-Bond theme. 007 as a slob has-been. I wrote something about Mr Benn becoming a cantankerous old git in retirement once too. Love it.
I’m getting the impression you’re not a fan of the Bond oeuvre?
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 11:00:31 AM »
Ha @cowparsleyman , that’s a great anti-Bond theme. 007 as a slob has-been. I wrote something about Mr Benn becoming a cantankerous old git in retirement once too. Love it.
I’m getting the impression you’re not a fan of the Bond oeuvre?
hi paul, glad you like the idea, just love the Mr Benn thing , I’m not a huge fan of the bond themes, they used to go on a bit , you know , i just wanted the blimmin Film to begin not watch all these naked sillouettes prancing about to burly chassis .... or duran duran...nope definitely not my bag...and so much work, they normally are overladen with rich production, time i don’t want to invest at the moment...

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 10:29:36 AM »
@cowparsleyman not bad for a lunchtime dalliance! I think the tongue in cheek Bonds are probably the best. (Or give me Austin Powers!) On the other hand I do like the musical challenge to produce something that goes with what we think the film might be like (I’m guessing they let Billie see it already which gives her an unfair advantage dammit). Possibly what I hear in my head is way in advance of what I am capable of but we’ll see about that...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 12:38:07 PM »
Behave! I love Austin Powers...adam from what I’ve heard of your work, you are more than capable, I’m sure there are artists here that will help fill the gaps.

Give me a shout if you’re stuck...

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 06:01:10 PM »
Count me in.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 09:55:40 AM »
Film's out April 2 in Europe.... so April 1st? Maybe the song will come out before but who knows...

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 10:23:59 AM »
I`ve always been fascinated by the writing and production of bond themes. So far, I've written 3. That was until yesterday when the songwriting Gods smiled upon me and a fourth arrived in time for this competition. This is not in my opinion,  only about a wonderful song. The production is every bit as important. I'd write a Bond theme regardless of the competion. It is deliciously irresistable! Good luck to everyone with threr entries.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:41:23 AM by Wicked Deeds »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 12:57:52 PM »
In a strange way I'm really looking forward to hearing these entries....

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 05:29:49 PM »
I agree with @adamfarr 1st April gives us long enough to get enough entries in and endlessly fiddle the mix and make them worse...
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..