Drum VST

• 15 Replies

Kafla

« on: December 08, 2011, 08:12:36 AM »
Hi forumeeeees :D

After you all slaughterd my drums in my latest song I was wondering what you all use to create your drums?

Looking for price and ease of use but as usual will spend what it takes in my quest to emerge from drum limbo !

Hopefully you can help :'(

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 10:38:16 AM »
I use the drums that come with Reason and Record which I think is now just Record?  Probably not suitable for you though cos you just want drums on their own, but they're really easy to use, especially Redrum, which is a sequencer.  You also get pre-programmed drum loops and the ability to make your own drum sounds using a programme called Thor. 

I still haven't figured it all out yet though! Sorry if this is of no help at all!!!

Flossie
x

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »
drums have always been our big problem... yes we have the services of a pretty good drummer but hes 18 & lives his life at 100mph & its very hard to restrain him long enuff to get anything done
since we got addictive drums our recordings have realy improved.... it just sounds so good
but you have to be able to write midi which ive only recently learned to do if you dont just want the drum beats that come with it
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »
Hi :)

Sorry if you thought I was slaughtering your drums haha I really wasn't. Sometimes I find it difficult
to point things out without sounding like I am being negative :(
The drums were fine, it was the timing that was out somewhere.
Drums are a really hard thing to get right when you're not a drummer. I suffer from the same problem.
I do one of two things. I usually use EZDrummer with is quite good because there are different kits for it and it is all
editable. You can play them live using a keyboard or you can use the myriad of different patterns that exist within it,
chop them up, mix them about and there's plenty of fills in there too. You can also alter the sound of what you have at any time by
either choosing which snare, hi-hat etc... you want to use. You can also change wether it sounds like a more synthetic kit or live and other variations.
It also has a humanize option where it will slightly randomize things like the velocity of the hit and so on to make it sound more
like it is being played by a real person. It is no substitute for a real drummer in my eyes but a pretty good other option.
Aside from EZdrummer I have just learned that there are drum sounds in Ableton Live 8 that I can play on my keyboard, which
I am using for my current project "Here We Go".  It takes some teaking of the sounds to get it right though.
I don't know if any of these are an option for you. If EZdrummer is an option then I would reccomend having it
as a very useful tool :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Beat Poet

• Busker
    • Drum Tracks Direct
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:26:37 AM »
Ever thought about using an online drummer? Sorry, I can't offer the tip without plugging myself ;D

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 02:09:11 AM »
If only I had the money :p

Some of my best friends are drummers, mostly teaching in uni's such as manchester, although one is in quite a popular
underground prog rock type band called Mr So&So. They are really good and got signed by Marillion a few years back.
They work a lot with Steve Rothery (Guitarist of Marillion) Check them out they are great... But I wouldn't know where to
start with recording live drums, or where to do it, or how to then import that then into Ableton to add to my tracks.
I am a real novice when it comes to the technical side of things. It's not that I don't want to learn but I think sometimes I am too insular
and don't take advantage of what is around me.
So EZdrummer is a Godsend for me.
If anyone else uses Ableton and can give me some recording tips for drums and how I can then use that in Ableton, I might
just give it a try and mither one of my friends :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:25:18 AM by Schavuitje »
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 05:02:12 PM »
Would i be right in saying were all searching for the most realistic drums possible without actually going to argos and spending ££'s for lessons,

So where can you buy ez drummer ;D
Learner guitarist

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 07:00:31 PM »
Well... maybe I shouldn't be saying this but has anyone heard of Newsgroups?
You pay amonthly subscription. I think I paid about £9 per month to be a member of one of them.
Sometimes they might even give you a couple of weeks for free :p
When you join you can then search for things like EZdrummer (just as an example) Then you use a seperate program to
download the (ezdrummer files or program) a bit like useing bit torrent or limewire... The Patch/crack or whatever
you want to call it usually comes with the program. You install. You crack. You have EZdrummer.
If you can manage to download everything you want and you are still on your trial you can even cancel before you have to pay the monthly fee.
At worst if you forget to cancel it'll cost you £9.
I stayed a member for a while and paid my £9 per month and used it a lot. As soon as I wasn't using it so much. I cancelled.
Beware though, you have to be aware and alert for virus's. Give any files downloaded a thorough check. Even that you can do online.
There are plenty of sites that will use multiple virus scanner to check files for you before you execute them.

Or you could buy it proper :p

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 12:07:41 PM »
Drum sequencer for PC.
"Hydrogen"
 It's open source (so free) and there is lot's of tutorials and sound-samples for it out in web-land.

Bit of a learning curve but well worth the time spent.

There is a "windows"  :-[ version available. http://en.utilidades-utiles.com/download-hydrogen.html
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
Well... maybe I shouldn't be saying this but has anyone heard of Newsgroups?
You pay amonthly subscription. I think I paid about £9 per month to be a member of one of them.
Sometimes they might even give you a couple of weeks for free :p
When you join you can then search for things like EZdrummer (just as an example) Then you use a seperate program to
download the (ezdrummer files or program) a bit like useing bit torrent or limewire... The Patch/crack or whatever
you want to call it usually comes with the program. You install. You crack. You have EZdrummer.

some years back my husband lost his job we had no money for quite a few years & i got fed up evrybody else having & me not having & felt justified  using torrents & stuff to get software & music i didnt have even tho its illegal & dodgy & immoral

i got into a huge row over this illegal downloading on the ntrack user forum ....all the guys there were middle age middle class rich americans.. but there was also a young poor american guy there who had the misfortune to say he wasnt going to buy some bit of software he was going to wait for the torent & crack to appear on the pirate bay....all hell let loose on that forum the old guys hounded him offof the forum calling him a dirty thief evry time he posted anything ...i stuck up for him saying i did it aswell & they started calling me names aswell so i called them a few names back mainly rich middle class bastards & also left
anyway then my father in law died & left us a sizeable sum so we could pay of the mortgage etc & get straight ...now i have enuff money again to pay for stuff & guess what i now look down my nose at people who do it ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:18:12 PM by tinam »
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 01:40:14 PM »
Haha yes that's easy to do when you have money ;)
If I had the money I'd buy them too :)

mihkay

• Platinum Album
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »
There is no need to spend any money to get everything you need software wise for demo quality home recording.
I use the Fedora Linux operating system. (see Wikipedia for details) If you don't do tech stuff don't worry I'm not going to talk tech here so stick with me to the end.

Basically all the stuff I use is free. It is released free, there are no catches and the functionality is equivalent to anything released for windows.
You may have to spend a little bit of time learning a little bit of how to on each bit of software as the Linux system's audio is not as straightforward as windows but it's well worth it if you're on a budget.

Finally, you can test run this FREE STUFF without installing anything. Unlike windows, it will run from a CD ROM. OK it will be a bit clunky running from CD but it will give you an idea without disturbing your existing system.

If your interested, I'd recommend looking at Linux systems. http://linux-sound.org/

One of the most windows like system that can be run from CD for a look at is available here http://ubuntustudio.org/
Any questions, ask me.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 11:25:39 PM by mihkay »

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 12:56:47 AM »
Free stuff is cool and there are some decent (considering they sre free) But there is a reason that for instance

Spectatrocis Omnisphere is $499. OR Vienna Symphonic Library - Special Edition 2 £295.

If you hear them it's difficult to want to make do with the free stuff :p

mihkay

• Platinum Album
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 01:28:43 AM »
Oh yeah I know,  that's why I said "Demo Quality"  :)

Kafla

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 06:41:43 AM »
A big thanks for all your ideas - legal or not  ;D