For a Rainy Night

• 7 Replies

Dom Hunt

• Busker
  • Find what you love,finding yourself will follow
« on: September 15, 2019, 10:34:08 PM »
Inspired by the "AM" Album, wanted a deep, punchy and fused together sound. The lyrics giving suggestive imagery but not to a moderate extent. Also Tried to get a minimalistic, but strong and thick sound. All Feedback Welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/dom-hunt-2/for-a-rainy-night

Dead of night and I'm running home
I’ve got Five missed calls on my telephone
The Rain falls down and it soaks me through
Never want to say goodbye to you

So I'll save this song for a rainy night
With the Curtains drawn and were cuddled tight
Close the door and dim the lights
Oh How nice

Time moved on the honeymoon has gone
But I don't mind because you'll always be mine
Tongue-tied blind-eyed I walk alone
So pour the wine because soon I'm coming home

Pushed open your heart and wandered through the cold
perfume scented soul in the corner of the room
Almost take its hand on the sunny afternoon
Then the floor disappears and I fall into the gloom

I'll save this song for a rainy night
Curtains drawn and were cuddled tight
Close the door and dim the lights
Oh how nice
Dcj Hunt

Modestmouse1965/

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 07:13:21 PM »
Love the minimalist approach. I can hear a Pulp vibe in the vocals although the music doesn't sound like them. Felt the tension. Great listen.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 08:25:08 AM »
Definitely get the AM vibe here (love that album and that band). You definitely get some of that AM wordplay here too - the second verse is particularly special: time-mind-tied-eyed-wine running through as an internal rhyme is the type of stuff I love.

The laid back vocal is fine - but gets swamped sometimes - could do with a bit more gain, and maybe some EQ to carve out some competing frequencies - and maybe even some creative panning of the backing. Chorus could do with a bit more energy or something to make it stand out a bit from the verses (possibly some light keys or strumming?).

Guitars are great when they take more centre stage. Good stuff!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 11:04:14 PM »
I really liked the minimalism too, especially the drums (who needs hi-hats!).  When the fuzzy guitar arrives in the final third I thought it had a White Stripes kind of quality - just really good, simple drums & distorted guitar.  Nice cheeky repeating bassline too and the understated vocals work.  Good track and I can see how it would contrast nicely with some of your other recent (less minimalist) posts.
It's all too beautiful.

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 01:23:01 AM »
Hi Dom when I first read the lyrics before listening, I thought they were pretty pedestrian but when I did listen I changed my mind totally, love the vibe but I do think the chorus could have stood out a bit more maybe raising your voice a bit to give it more definition. All in all pretty damn fine to me
cheers
Lilly

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 10:42:29 PM »
The lyrics drew me in first...i thought they were really interesting way before i heard the music.

Musically, pretty nicely done...i enjoyed the loose and open feeling. I might have had a bit of a fiddle with the lead guitar in places if it was me...tidying up a couple of phrases or just pulling them back a little in the mix...but that's just a personal thing.

I thought it had a bit of a Talking Heads vibe to it...pretty cool anyway :-)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 01:38:24 PM »
Hi, an enjoyable listen! Liked the minimalistic backing and the guitar tones. Vocals fitted nicely and the lyrical phrasing worked well. I thought there was a little bit of a timing issue and one or two 'stray' notes in the lead guitar solo.
Good stuff!
Cheers
Jamie

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 03:17:55 PM »
Dom,
Yes all worked for me, and you got the reference point.
Catchy simple groove going through unifies it and whilst repetitive it doesn't get boring.
Then we get the Stratty sound solo which had a touch of Jack White in there too.
Cool
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..