It's Really Me (collab starring Vicki and PaulAds)

• 15 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« on: September 13, 2019, 03:43:32 PM »
This started life as a smooth soul song. You can hear a verse and chorus here if it so takes you.

https://soundcloud.com/cramer1930/its-really-me-demo/s-A6CXn

That was over 2 years ago. I never finished that but may do one day.

Now, with the help of Vicki who sang a great vocal for me, and PaulAds who did me a great bass guitar track, here is the song in its new clothes.

It's Really Me

V
Tell me this is not a dream and I'm not gonna wake up all alone again
Tell me you'll still be right here beside me when the night is through
I wanna hear those words whipered soft and low
I wanna watch your lips repeating them and then I'll know
PRE
Take me in your arms say it again
Baby don't hold back
Pull me close and love me again
Make me believe
CH
It's really me lying here with you
It's really me holding you
It ain't no fairytale, it ain't no fantasy
It's really me

V
I think of the times I've been let down and I wonder if I'll ever find somebody new
I can feel the pain I hide deep down inside me start to push on through
I never set my expectations up too high
Another broken promise comes as no surprise any more
It isn't easy now to put my fears aside
To let myself go
When I find myself falling in love again.

PRE

CH

Again many thanks to Vicki and Paul without whom it would have been a whole lot less.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 04:42:48 PM »
This really is fabulous guys. A lovely slice of lovers rock. It's a fantastically authentic sound, from the drums, the wailers guitar sound, deep rub a dub stylee bass and those horns are just the icing on the cake. Brilliant vocals to top it off. I loved it  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:36:51 PM »
Hi Ian and Vicki

I loved this from the moment I first heard it...I'm a real fan of this kind of thing anyway...but this is such a super song and it's been done perfectly. Vicki sounds slinky and smoky...the Viscount is sounding great too...and did remarkably well not to fall off his step-ladders while he was all the way up there hitting those high notes.

Tons of sweet little touches in here that give it a really authentic feel...percussion is excellent and I love that muted trumpet in the breakdown too. I think it's a triumph...I wish there was more stuff like this around.

Thanks for inviting me to play along...it was an absolute pleasure.

A really super listen.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 10:52:15 PM »
Irie! 
Damn, that's good, and a TOTALLY unexpected genre/style from you guys.  It immediately made me think of The Specials, and obviously they were influenced by ska tracks before them.  It has all the traits of a great laid-back reggae track... big dubby reverb, the horns, nice sleepy/sultry vocals... just great.  It also succeeds in feeling very genuine though, not a parody or tribute... I feel like I could find this on a dusty 45 in a vinyl shop somewhere and think I'd discovered some lost gem from Jamaica.  Awesome.
It's all too beautiful.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 12:04:00 AM »
Rasta! This is great - super vocals, percussion, bass horns et al.
I'm on a beach in the Bahamas with a glass of rum and not a care in the world  ;D
Awwww - it's over already  ;D
Collabs really are greater than the sum of their parts.
Well done you lot!
Paul

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 02:24:03 AM »
I really enjoyed working on this. Including me in the term "collab" is a stretch, however. All I did was sing the words and melody Ian gave me. PaulAds qualifies, though, as he came up with the bass line for it. Pretty cool--love that little bass solo bit.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 07:06:34 AM »
Yes. Great laid back groove here, just captures my ears.
Enjoying Vicki’s Rich vocals and the skanking breakdown. Has an honesty to it, like it’s been unearthed from the vaults from 1973..
more please
:-) :-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 09:44:51 AM »
Such a good song, I'm a fan of UB40 (just like reggae I s'pose ) and I can hear them doing this song..it's that good really...

well done :) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 11:50:31 AM »
Hi guys really good work.For the record I'm not a fan of reggae, but this sound is super authentic and is beautifully played, sung and of course written.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 09:50:38 AM »
Brilliant stuff - great idea to make it a duet, the backing track is spacious and interesting, and there is just a great feeling all through. Horns are fab. Reverb and production touches work so well. Both your vocals sounding really good. Bass supporting everything.

At the end of the first chorus I think I would line up both vocals more exactly but I get that this is quite a "loose" feel...

Again, what a great evolution - though actually I was also quite taken with the demo.

Modestmouse1965/

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 06:58:26 PM »
A little piece of Ska magic. Superb vocals. Mix sounds great to me. Authentic sound and love the horns and bass. Need to hear more from you guys. An inspiring collab.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 09:35:18 AM »
Silky smooth!

I'd love to hear my favourite soul singer Anita Baker sing your music. I'd also like to sit at the production helm to mix your music. It's not typically my genre but I know I'd enjoy the experience.

There's a big difference between versions 1 and 2. Both have their charm and I can't decide on my favourite. Both are of course, great fun.

Well done!

Paul

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 04:15:07 PM »
Hello all. Thanks for listening and the kind comments.

I'm very happy with it and again thank my two partners here for their invaluable contributions.

I'm glad you mention 1973 Neil because this is about the era I was thinking of - I listen a lot to Suzanne Beware Of The Devil (1972) because I love the song and although I didn't try to emulate that I had that era in my mind. And I stole the main tambourine idea...then adapted it...from 'Everything I Own' (1974)

Jamie, the fact that you are not a reggae fan does not surprise me in the least....I would have put money on it!

Just for the record this is another DrumDrops drum loop....love their stuff...have I said that before?

Yes I'd like to do that soul ballad version one day.....I did post that demo on the forum at the time looking for help and did say then that I also thought it would make a reggae song...and the reggae version got there first!

Thanks all.

Oh yes....Paul, I recorded multiple takes of those high lines..more than I've ever done for one line in particular.... using various methods of inducement and even then I had to resort to recording a tone or semitone down and pitching up....it was that 'I wanna watch' line.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 09:33:59 PM »
Wow Ian!

Outta the park,man.  8)

I'll readily admit to a soft spot for Reggae and this hit it with some authority!

So much to listen to in this track,yet there is all the acres of sonic space required for the genre. Great rhythm,those horns.. 8)

Paul's bass is just great,he nails that mother right down.

I've not heard Vicki ever singing so well and so  at one with a track,the whole thing pulls together wonderfully.

Yeah. I dig.  8)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 01:20:25 PM »
Ooh..!! How lush and lovely is this!! Love that rhythm - it's so well done.. @CaliaMoko sounds fantastic - both vocals are great and when you sing together it sounds fab! The drums and horns are particularly good... Oh not forgetting the bass.. Vicki's vocal is the star for me though - icing on the top .. Fab stuff guys..

K