I had to go

• 15 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: September 12, 2019, 10:31:13 AM »
Our star once shone so brightly!

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/i-had-to-go-high-balanced

I had to go

Someone tell the universe my heart is dead.
Perhaps she'll launch a fire ball into space.
I couldn't keep the pace.

Someone say a prayer to guide her home tonight.
The moon will not suffice to light her way.
I tried so hard to stay

I had to go.

Someone pour a whiskey in this shattered glass
before I drink to leave this mess behind.
This world is so unkind.

Someone send a ticket to my wretched soul;
destination, 'any place but here.'
We cried a well of tears.

I had to go.
I had to go.

You're waking up to salted waves of pain.
No ordinary mermaid , a waterfall will cascade from your eyes.

I hope you find a way to love again.
I hope you find a way to love again.

I had to go.

Written by Paul Vasey September 2019

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/i-had-to-go-high-balanced
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 07:59:25 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 03:32:37 PM »
Hi Paul, love the simplicity of the ac guitar and vocal. The bareness of it touched the correct buttons alongside the heartfelt vocal. The chord structure is right up my strasse, not at all predictable but still coherent and melodic. 8)
Nice one, it's brave to post a song as personal as this. :'(
Cheers
Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 04:30:00 PM »
This is a lovely piece of music Paul. Packed full of emotion and yearning. I love the simple arrangement,  some lovely chord progressions. It just works so well as it is. Excellent stuff

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 05:54:50 PM »
Lovely delicate guitar picking in this Paul and I like the simplicity of the production, it's very 'naked' which suits the lyrics.  The lyrics I liked too, the fireball line especially, but they are very bleak...  Maybe that's how you were feeling when you wrote them, but as a listener I found the cumulative effect of the bleakness risked slipping them into melodrama by the "waterfall" line... maybe a little bit of ambivalence or a hint of sunshine amongst the darkness might balance them a bit more. (I hope it is OK to say that, just a personal opinion).  I do like them though and well done on a four word chorus - that fits so well!  It's like you're drawing a conclusion, and it contrasts superbly with the more wordy verses.
It's all too beautiful.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 06:37:20 PM »
This started out life as a very slow song but gathered momentum to encompass so many different emotions.  .  I wrote it a couple of days ago and then recorded it in little more than a single take this morning.  @Jamie, there's a few jazz influenced chords in there.  i just followed my ears and hey presto.  I was going to produce this and probably will but it seemed so complete in it's current format. 

It's a heartbreaking song and communicates my feelings in the most honest way possible.  A number of my recently written songs have reduced me to tears and I kind of think that ensures real honesty. 

@PaulyX I'm just grateful that you have listened to this song.  It's a plea to the universe to say that my heart is dead after recent troubles.  I envisaged the universe responding in anger, throwing a fireball across the skies.  It's about knowing that a break up hurts two people and sending out a prayer to keep someone safe whilst apologising for leaving.  I thought perhaps if the whiskey was poured into a shattered glass that would not hold the alcohol then it couldn't be drank, and feelings would therefore be felt rather than masked.  It's a yearning to escape pain : Someone send a ticket to my wretched heart, destination "any place but here". 

The mermaid line is a little difficult to understand.  The mythical creature that lures the sailor to the rocks, who's heart has also been broken and therefore her tears will cascade.  I thought perhaps that extending the wish "I hope you find the strength to love again."  is a declaration of at leat some kind of love and it might help to process my own very bleak feelings. 

@pompey, I should produce this song and then offer it over to The Reflections if you would like to get on board with more of those lovely backing vocals. 

I guess I'm using my music as a cathartic tool/process to deal with some raw emotions. I think that is the true value of writing for me at the moment.

Thank you gentlemen!

Paul
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 06:50:13 PM by Wicked Deeds »

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 07:06:18 PM »
Such emotion in the delivery - heartbreaking sentiments beautifully described. Guitar is lovely. @Wicked Deeds - powerful stuff!

K

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 03:33:04 PM »
Paul,
really cool track, all the better for its simplicity and brevity.
I love the intimacy of the guitar with some great chord changes but you let the vocals and brutally honest lyrics shine through.
:-)
neil     
songwriter of no repute..

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 04:40:18 PM »
@MonnoDB, thank you so much for listening and taking time to comment on this song :-)

Paul

@Neil C,  I'm really pleased that you get this song.  The vocal was done in a single take. apart from the last section which I got on the second attempt.  I'm happy with that as I didn't want to destroy the emotion by taking several attempts.  It is a heartbreaking song.  To be honest it takes hold of my mood and literally leaves me flat each time I listen.  I couldn't be more any more honest about the loss experienced in this song.  The sad thing is, I have 10 songs, a full album written about about the stages of a break up, all waiting to be recorded.  They really are all heartbreaking.

Thank you my friend!

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 09:52:44 PM »
I love this to bits. No point in me rambling any further.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 10:01:34 PM »
I can't do any nitpicking with this. I think today was the perfect day for me to listen, as it fits my mood to a T. Different situation, same basic mood. And it inspires me, and I want to do some writing now.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 02:57:04 PM »
A fine song
I wish I had the peace of mind to do something like this.
An inspiring piece of work.
Sounds very sincere.
I can't find fault with it at all.
Well done.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

t.wretborn

• Busker
  • Hobby musician from Sweden.
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 04:50:19 PM »
Hi!
Very emotional piece. "We cried a well of tears" sits perfectly with the melody and and in my opinion the song peaks there.

Nice one!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 09:27:52 AM »
Paul - an old theme but some very original ways of expressing it: someone send a ticket... no ordinary mermaid... Possibly the whiskey line is a bit more well trodden and so less effective (but no less true, I feel).

The one line chorus really sums it all up, very memorable and transmits what you were (are) feeling.

It's great.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 01:45:54 PM »
Sweet work Paul,can't wait to hear it's Reflection!   ;D

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 04:22:46 PM »
Hi Paul,

The guitar sounds great. Pure and delicate tone.
Works well with the vocal.
Vocal is delivered very well and with sincerity.

Simple, but very effective.

Digger