konalavadome

Back again!

• 25 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: September 10, 2019, 01:07:34 PM »
Hello to all of my old friends and sparring partners!

After a long period of total disinterest in all things musical, I've even folded my busy covers band...ffs, I've decided to dip my toe in the water again with a new song. Started of as a piano doodle and ended up at 6,31 or so (I know ......too long :P). Anyway, I've tried to put something extra into the production, arrangement and variation. Keen to know if there's any discernible difference to my previous efforts! Look forward to your usual thoughtful and constructive comments!

Cheers
Jamie

Promise to catch up with the stuff you guys have been getting up to too 8) ;D

https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/i-am-lost

I am lost

How can you come back to me
Hands are full can't take the weight
Take control make it easy
My head is full of awful thoughts

Wrap me up in your thoughts and
Bring me in to all things
Freaking out please don't judge me
It'll be alright It'll be alright

Chorus

Bursting out of the void
The diving board awaits you
Down the wires speed of light
Flick the lights and fade away

Bridgey thing

Fear the past it will come back, will cone back to haunt you
Here it comes its always with me, here it comes again and again

Put a spell on all of us
Mortal souls fear all things
Where's the truth? It's all suspicion
I am lost don't come and don't come and find me

Chorus

Instrumental Bridgey thing

Outro Bridget thing

Here it comes, its always with me ,here it comes again, and again........

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »
Jamie. Lovely track and great to have you back.
Meandering, sensitive, atmospheric, capturing, chilled, moody, Jamie, growing.
Cool return
:-)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 05:10:57 PM »
A great piece Jamie. Moody, atmospheric, soulful yet full of melody. Nice use of space and it kept my attention throughout and didn't seem like 6:34 Some unexpected chord progressions. Reminded me of Prefab Sprout in some ways. An excellent return. Welcome back  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:09:15 PM »
Yo Jamie,long time no hear! Good to see you still alive and composing!  :)

The opening bars are verging on ominous,then the sad,melancholy vocals come in and give us a lift.

I love the twists and turns and the way you tease us with the unexpected chordal stuff,clever work!

At a whopping 6.34,not many songs keep my full attention,yet this fat bastard hides it's corpulence supremely well. Cool trick Man.

A fine return to form Jamie.   8)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 06:02:50 PM »
Great glowering intro - made me think of Massive Attack - then a great pivot into a more major key melody, that was a neat surprise. Ace chorus - the diving board line, the ascending melodies, and especially the way the 2 repeats of "Fade away" resolve differently (another surprise).  I'm hearing lots of other influences in here: McCartney's solo work, Talk Talk, Tears for Fears, Donald Fagin (not sure if you like any of them but I do!).  I think it is really the way the track takes its time and has a weight and elegance to it because of that.  There are even shades of prog rock later in the track.  Impressive stuff that certainly didn't feel like 6 and a half minutes.
It's all too beautiful.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 06:42:16 PM »
Jamie. This is excellent. A masterful work. Very glad I listened (nearly didn't when I saw the length) as the others have said it doesn't overstay it's welcome. The vocals are superb. Great delivery and the backing and production are very accomplished. Great job

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 09:56:41 AM »
Felt like 4 mins mate, welcome back, a masterful piece of work ... 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 08:48:20 PM »
Really brilliant to have you back, Jamie...I've missed your songs...they're always real quality.

This is no exception...super sweet vocals, really inventive chords and has a lovely feel to it.

Unique sound that I think I'd recognise anywhere. To fail to answer your specific question...I thought it sounded every bit as good as I remember you sounding...and that is very good indeed.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 05:59:39 AM »
Hello Jamie, how's it going?

To answer your question....I think it sounds very much like your normal output with the unexpected (although I now expect them!) chord changes/choices and their melodic counterparts.

It's a very haunting song and has your trademark production which is always better than you give it credit for.

The bridge parts are my favourite with that nice catchy synth riff which is a strong motif and the 'fear the past....it will come back etc etc' has more impact than the chorus for me.

As always top quality work.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for listening and commenting, its always appreciated!

@ Neil, brilliant comments, moody etc was exactly what I was aiming at!
Thanks

@John, cheers John, love Prefab Sprout too! Lovely comments its appreciated.
Thanks

@Skub,yep still alive lol.just.......Always enjoy your comments you always find an angle to add some humour to your wise words!
Thanks

@ PX, love all the bands you ref and I also love prog rock!Well spotted.Glad you enjoyed it!
Thanks

@ MP, glad you listened! You are too kind.Always slightly wary of how such a slow song would be received!
Thanks

@Kevin,Concise as ever, appreciate your comments.
Thanks

@PA, great comments thanks its appreciated! We all work hard on this stuff and its always great to get some praise for the efforts! As you know strange chord progressions are my thing, glad I didn't disappoint!
Thanks

@VC, aha you didn't mention the lyrics lol. Thanks for the kind comments on the production , I never feel as if I know as much as many of the pro style guys who post here. And as I said to PA glad I didn't disappoint with the chordal strangeness!
Thanks

Thanks again guys, I'm always slightly surprised when I get good reviews, but of course delighted with such positive comments
Cheers
Jamie

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 06:42:25 PM »
Just listening again..very considered production and arrangement...rock on mate!! :) 8) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 08:37:28 AM »
Hi Jamie - this is so unmistakably you, with leaping melodies and original progressions. It's a great atmosphere you created with my favorite part the "fade away" line...
Very cool, and no problem with a long song where it's justified.
Great to hear you again!

Modestmouse1965/

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 05:46:56 PM »
Lovely atmospheric piece. Top notch vocals. Usually listen to half a long song but not this little beauty. Reminds me in parts of The Damned in a mellow way. Going to listen to your other stuff now. A big fat 10 from me.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 12:05:49 AM »
How can you play something THAT slow and still pull it off? :)
I like how the synths track the melody.
Gripping song Jamie - nice to have you back :)
Excellent track.
Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »
@Jamie,

Love the single guitar notes for the intro. Vocal melody is instantly appealing. shades of my favourite composer Paddy McAloon do extra points there my friend. I wonder what you and I could rustle up together in a collaboration as this is right up my street. To be honest, I don't feel that I need yo appraise this song. I'm simply going yo sit back and allow the emotion to wash over me.

Well done!

Paul