tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« on: September 01, 2019, 05:31:23 PM »
Wotcha song nerds

Some of you may remember I posted that 16 minute ambient track a while back, and one or two of you even listened to the end. Now that's the level of friendship and commitment that sets this forum apart from the rest of the internet IMO.

Anyway, I made another one. This one's only 10 minutes though, so a mere snip for you more attention deficient dudes and dudettes.

It's not a song, hence it's here in the bar, but feel free to offer feedback if that's your thing, or just have a wee listen if you want to. And if you make it to the end, email me your address and I'll send you a chocolate biscuit :p

New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 05:54:48 PM »
Tone, will do. q- could you stretch to a chocolate hobnob??
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 06:11:01 PM »
That goes by faster than one would think. Maybe the proper mood helps. Good for meditation.... And the scratchy stuff toward the end helps to bring you back to your senses.

Anyway, I want my biscuit! And I also want to try to do something cool like that.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 09:29:21 PM »
Well Tone ( do you a bird called Val o’Lume? You 2 would make a good couple)

Got to 7:10 and caved in, even the promise of a chocky digestive couldn’t keep my interest, my sub concious motif radar was working too hard and gave up, i kinda like the empty industrial berlin early 90’s angst vibe, but  the guitar fills promised some inkling of a genesis of a motif that even in different keys, or dynamics might have held my interest, but nope one didn’t arrive.

Sorry but like the last one, i had to admit It’s not for me. Just would like to know what echo/ delays you used....echoboy maybe, but sounds bucket brigade...

Having said all that, it was a welcome addition to this forum, thanks.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 06:20:01 PM »
Tone, will do. q- could you stretch to a chocolate hobnob??
:-)
Neil
I certainly can Neil! You'll have to reply quick though cos they're disappearing fast :p

That goes by faster than one would think. Maybe the proper mood helps. Good for meditation.... And the scratchy stuff toward the end helps to bring you back to your senses.

Anyway, I want my biscuit! And I also want to try to do something cool like that.

Thanks Vicki! Glad you made it to the end and enjoyed it. Have a choccy biccy!

Well Tone ( do you a bird called Val o’Lume? You 2 would make a good couple)

Got to 7:10 and caved in, even the promise of a chocky digestive couldn’t keep my interest, my sub concious motif radar was working too hard and gave up, i kinda like the empty industrial berlin early 90’s angst vibe, but  the guitar fills promised some inkling of a genesis of a motif that even in different keys, or dynamics might have held my interest, but nope one didn’t arrive.

Sorry but like the last one, i had to admit It’s not for me. Just would like to know what echo/ delays you used....echoboy maybe, but sounds bucket brigade...

Having said all that, it was a welcome addition to this forum, thanks.
Thanks CPM - I have not heard of such a bird, although I have just realised I am using the internet, so I will look her up as soon as I've finished this post :p

Which delays did I use? I believe it was 'stereo delay' in Logic Pro X. Reverb I can't remember, and I've lost a load of (naughty hacked) plugins in a system crash so it may be something fancy I was trying out. Or it could have been a bog standard plate reverb - I'm quite fond of those.

Thanks for listening and taking the time to reply. Don't worry about giving up - part of the whole idea behind both of my ambient pieces was slowing them down to the point where the melody ceased to exist except as a subtle feeling and huge amounts of anticipation. It's not for everyone! :D

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 06:02:53 PM »
That was really beautiful. I never realized how cannibalistic raindrops are, eating themselves to oblivion like that. They think they're going to just eat one, and they're suddenly swallowing up a whole row, and rushing off the window in an uncontrollable stream. There must be a metaphor in there.

Gorgeous soundscape. Was there a dog barking in the background, or was that outside my house? I couldn't tell. I was lost in it. Very meditative. I saved it so I can watch it again.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 07:20:03 PM »
Man,that's a desolate track @tone  Utterly unforgiving and relentless.

It conjured images of a funeral scene in old Ireland. Folk stand around in the ceaseless rain,hearts as heavy as their sodden black coats.Those watching/listening experience feelings of devastating loss and the total absence of hope,in essence,no real or meaningful reason to continue living.

If you were aiming for 'Bleak',Tone,you hit that target bang on. I'm not sure my fragile head would permit me to listen twice!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 07:46:20 PM »
Thanks for listening @Skub and @redrhodie - I'm really glad you both got something out of it.

Honestly, I wasn't really 'going' for anything, although I can definitely hear bleak in there. It was more an experiment in 'if I slow this down so much that you can almost hear in between the notes, or inside the notes, I wonder what it will reveal.'

The raindrops loop was chosen after the effect as I wanted something other than a simple tile as a video background. I think it 'agrees' with the music inasmuch as you're seeing the scene through wet glass - kind of analogous to hearing the music through all that anticipation, reverb and delay.

Thanks for listening to the end - I'm under no illusions that this is something your average listener will return to, but it has some value as a piece of 'art' if I may be so grandiose as to label it as such :D

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 08:54:04 PM »
Wow, I really liked that and am trying to work out why. For me, it sounded 1) east Asian and 2) primeval. Like I wanted to listen to it over footage of a Japanese volcano erupting or something. I'm curious - how did you know you were done after 10 minutes?
It's all too beautiful.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 12:34:01 PM »
Wow, I really liked that and am trying to work out why. For me, it sounded 1) east Asian and 2) primeval. Like I wanted to listen to it over footage of a Japanese volcano erupting or something. I'm curious - how did you know you were done after 10 minutes?
Thanks @PaulyX ! I'm glad you liked it. How did I know I was finished at 10 mins? Well dang that's a bloody good question. I think it boiled down to a few things. One, I created it using a short piece of music slowed down to about 8x. I also used a reverse version of that, and a couple of other versions slowed down by different degrees, all woven together. So, I knew that keeping it going too long would make it too hard to listen to. 10 mins was about the length of the loop slowed down played once through (once I'd trimmed out the part that didn't work for me), and it sounded like a decent amount of time to really let the music 'bed in' from a listening point of view. Having gone for 16 minutes in my first trip down ambient ave, I didn't want to repeat myself either.

Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment - Japanese volcano is an interesting visual image for this. I think I'd like to see that now, too!

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 01:02:40 PM »
Hey tone,

Had another listen last night, this time with my eyes closed. Totally different experience without the raindrops. This time it sounded like a train ride after saying goodbye to someone you love on the platform. The doors close, you smile and wave as the train pulls away, and you miss them already. Time is passing, distance is growing, and the sounds are stretched out in the places the train is moving through, while the sounds in the car are constant, or coming into and out of focus as people walk by and the train stops in different stations.

This is a beautiful piece, and it's not too long for me. Being still for ten minutes to listen to music and let my mind wander is relaxing to me, and maybe as beneficial as meditation. I understand this is a struggle for a lot of people since we live in an instant gratification world. Don't let that stop you, because there are people who seek out alternatives to that.

Can I have my chocolate cookie now? 😜

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 12:55:23 PM »
You most certainly may have your choccy cookie now @redrhodie Thanks again for your comments, really glad you liked it :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 01:46:23 PM »
Hi, I think it’s valid to produce something ‘experimental’ like this, I could see how it would be experience that could be used later in another piece. I imagine that Thom Yorke and Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead have produced loads of private stuff like that that ends up being part of a soundscape in another song (eg Daydreaming, on A moon shaped pool album). Whether it’s art or not I’ll leave to those more educated than I ;D.
Cheers
Jamie

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 05:31:26 PM »
Whether it’s art or not I’ll leave to those more educated than I ;D.
Well that was extremely diplomatic. Have a biscuit! :D

Thanks for listening :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 10:40:37 PM »
Having re read what I said I think I was a bit un diplomatic........I wasn’t trying to be unkind or suggest it wasn’t a valid piece, anyway........I would like to have discovered the sounds and scapes you produced.
Cheers
Jamie