Rock rap crossover anyone ?

• 6 Replies

Andyb

« on: August 26, 2019, 08:52:28 PM »
I wasn't sure whether to post this song on this forum but here goes. A very good friend of mine K9 kev has been rapping here on the west coast of Scotland for a few years now. I've been lucky enough to collaborate with him on a few things before now but I really wanted to do a remix of one of his most popular (locally) songs. Kev's style is very much acoustic guitar hook over hip-hop beats and he will usually get a local musician to sing on the choruses. This isn't even really a remix more a reworking and we re recorded a lot of the existing parts and then gave them a 4 below overhaul. I'm really pleased with how this turned out ... And so is Kev.. it was so much fun and I really think it will find its way in to live shows in the future
Listen to West Coast Town/4Below Remix by 4Below on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-214476590/west-coast-town4below-remix

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »
Love to hear that Scottish accent on a rap style piece,it's fresh!

I can relate when rap mixes with melody and singing,kinda like Eminem worked for me.

A very cool track Andy,thanks for sharing,I'll give it a repost on Soundcloud,it deserves to be played.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 12:32:04 PM »
Ditto Skub re: the Scottish accent - just what Rap needs..

Very nice piece of work. Would like to the hear the lyrics during the rap, maybe bring the drums down a bit, not sure if the double tracking on the fast rap works.

Sounds like the rapper is struggling to be heard.

Hope it helps

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 09:13:43 PM »
Ditto ref the accent... it really works.  Rap's not usually my thing but this had loads to enjoy - the sung vocals sound great, and what's not to like about the big crunchy guitars.  I agree it would be good to make the rap lyrics a bit easier to hear (compared to the sung lyrics which are clear as a bell).
It's all too beautiful.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 01:27:58 PM »
You two work well together, love the blend of styles, great energy and message. The vocal harmony around 3'05" is brill. Possibly a little rebalancing to bring Kev's lines out a touch more could be good but a really good listen as is.

Andyb

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 07:11:40 PM »
I did a little lyric video which shows a wee bit of our "west coast town"

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 04:26:06 PM »
Yes liking the energy and cross over works well. Good to hear his accent coming through. Your rock parts sounds really powerful too. Modern post rock or something, better ask my eldest son.
Thanks for sharing, its great that we have such variety on this site.
:-)
neil

songwriter of no repute..