konalavadome

"Jill Bruce Springsteen and me" by Paul A and The Reflections

• 22 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: August 26, 2019, 07:17:21 PM »
I'm about to get ready for a night shift but wanted to share this on the forum.  I'll wade in with reviews throughout the week.  In the meantime.........

A song by Paul A and The Reflections:

Paul Adamson - vocals
John Bradley - backing vocals and key swells.
Paul Tarle - piano
Nooms Mussell - backing vocals
NeilConnor - harmonica
Davy Vance - electric lead guitar
Paul Vasey - acoustic rhythm and fingerpicking, bass guitar, string arrangement and drum programming.

A big thank you to the guys from the forum who played on this song.  It was a wonderful experience to have you all on board.  I think we nailed it fellas!

The setting for the story is by The River Wear in the city of Durham, England.

The unmistakeable voice of Bruce Springsteen was heard  on the radio only a few days prior to the night when the river raced like a runaway train.  Jill thought that perhaps the words and melody to "Thunder Road" signalled that something quite special was about to happen. 

The credits rolled bringing the movie "Blinded by the Night" to an end. Outside, the heaven's opened up and the rain came pouring down but the thunder couldn't be heard as the river surged and two people made their way to their cars then said Goodbye. 

Sometimes, people fall with their eyes wide open. At other times, it only happens when we're  sleeping.

If you haven't heard the new Springsteen album "Western Stars" then I highly recommend it.  The Boss is in great form but he couldn't work his magic on that late summer night.  Still,  "It was Jill, Bruce Springsteen and me."

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/master-jill-bruce-springsteen-and-me-high-balanced

Jill, Bruce Springsteen and me

Jill looked for a sign
'twas on  the radio;
a sign that love might be.
It was Jill, Bruce Springsteen and me.

Storm clouds filled the sky,
The river surged below.
I held her in my arms
'til we  kissed and then we let go.

Perhaps I'll catch her
in a sleepless moment.
Though it's far more likely In a dream!

I came in search of love.
Her calmness soothed the pain.
The thunder wasn't heard
so we  began again.

I may reflect upon
my journey to today.
A girl with storm cloud eyes
Caught my gaze then walked away.

Perhaps I'll catch her
In a sleepless moment.
Though it's far more likely In a dream!

Jill looked for a sign
'twas on the radio;
a sign that love might be.
It was Jill, Bruce Springsteen and me

Written by Paul Vasey August 2019

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/master-jill-bruce-springsteen-and-me-high-balanced
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:04:06 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 09:01:15 PM »
Fantastic! What a collaboration between all of you. The emotions are captured perfectly through the song, and the music is perfect, and Paul's voice fits the song quite well. With the harmonica, I could feel some of "The Boss" in this song as well :) Just perfect! Well done, guys! :)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »
I love this song Paul. It's so moving, damn... Not much to say really except it's great to hear everyone from the forum coming together to make this recording happen.

Sorry if this isn't really a review - I'm a bit lost for words for being lost in the song. A sublime piece of writing Paul, one of your best for sure.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 12:46:44 AM »
As I've said - great song Paul.
It was such an honour to play piano on this.  ;D ;D
Stellar performances by all contributors and well arranged and produced.
cheers
Paul

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 08:49:36 PM »
Yo @Wicked Deeds

I knew from the first track you sent,that this would be a damn fine song,plus I knew your involvement Paul,would ensure a classy result.
This is one of those tracks much greater than the sum of it's parts,it just...works.

Thanks again for the invite Paul and for making it all such a cohesive piece.

ps...

Nooms Mussel,now that's a rock star handle fo sho!  8)

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 05:52:00 PM »
@Wicked Deeds
fine work paul putting it all together
great song
well pleased to be part of it

@Skub
sorry about the name.. the mussell bit doesnt normally appear . oh well
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 06:01:51 PM by nooms »
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 06:30:18 PM »
Already commented on the lyrics, and the song doesn't disappoint - moody and cinematic, taking us to that stormy night... A huge production, really full sound and atmosphere.

My ear was expecting the note to rise rather than fall on the ment of moment but that may be too obvious and not in line with the mood you created.

The dream team - strangely like coming home, to hear all those familiar contributors doing what they do best... What next? Boydie on claves...?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 01:49:04 PM by adamfarr »

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 06:41:45 PM »
Hey - this is gorgeous .. great lyrics and it's just such a treat to hear so many of you together.. What a lovely thing to do! Well done guys...

K

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 07:26:39 PM »
Tremendous monster of a song this with all that delicately layered instrumentation. Shame you are not a real band as the sound is really something.

Great bit of songwriting, mesmeric mood created and so many surprises with little touches here and there from the contributing instruments.

Very well sung too, inc backing vox, and a hook you can't forget!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »
Hi Paul @Wicked Deeds - Really cool song, love the two vocalist's working together, and the keys...

Can't add anything that the other members have said, except maybe @redrhodie and @crystalsuzy on BVox  ooh's, just to give a nod to the 'Jill' in the title.

I do like @Skub 's fills, he is a master of this sort of stuff.

Give my regards to Durham...

Modestmouse1965/

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 08:08:06 PM »
Great intro, love the harmonies and use of harmonica. Love how the eerie piano works. Great lyrics vocal and bvox. Great collab well done guys. Not listened to Bruce Springsteen in years but will listen to new album you recommended.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 09:08:42 PM »
Wow, a veritable forum supergroup... bit like Bandaid... I can picture you all in the video.
Great song.  I really like the slightly woozy, fluid feel to the instrumentation, and the harmonica licks.  Nothing is overdone and demands centre stage, everything has its place and takes its turn.  Pure class.
It's all too beautiful.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 09:44:02 PM »
Amazing work guys 8) Beautifully arranged, with every instruments in just the right place...no battling for the limelight 8)
A sad but lovely story with just the right amount of emotional heart strings :-* The lyrics are beautifully written as is the song itself  :o
The coming together of 7 supper stars!  Fantastic collab  :o

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 09:52:57 PM »
:o
The coming together of 7 supper stars!   :o

'supper stars..'   i like it suzy..
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 08:46:37 AM »
Yeah, one day I'll be a Supper Star, I'll have a big house where all my friends and hangers on can come over and have a cheese on toast party in to the early hours, have to keep an eye on the door for people secretly hiding their stashes of crumpets... then of course someone will have too much and drive their pushbike into the swimming pool....