Only in the rain

• 18 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« on: August 24, 2019, 04:32:09 PM »
A song about about a relationship that failed because they didn't talk about the problem (whatever it was ) before they split..maybe ;D

https://soundcloud.com/knmac/only-in-the-rain-by-knmac

Last time I saw you,
we were walking in the rain,
last time we talked together,
we were walking in the rain,
I don't know the reason why,
we left it so late,
last time we said goodbye,
we were walking in the rain.

Only in the rain, will I know,
that I'm holding you, x4

I know the way we were,
long time ago,
rain never let us down,
I'm thinking you know,
I don't know the reason why,
we're walking alone,
last time we walked together,
I was walking you home,

only in the rain, will I know,
that I'm holding you, x4
©KNmac

best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 06:06:53 PM »
Hi Kev

ah yes...our olde english friend...the rain.

Very tasty... Is that an acoustic guitar keyboard patch you're playing in the verses? I always thought they sounded great. Even if it isn't that... it sounds great anyway!

Vocals are spot on and production is crystal clear.

Loved that hanging 7th chord... And was in full agreement when you ended on it 😃

Top notch!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 06:10:05 PM »
Top-notch vocal performance and the guitar sits perfectly in this one :)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »
Kevin, I didn't love this one. I felt the chorus was too repetitive and I wasn't into the piano. However, it sounds very professional and as well produced as I expected. It's just not my cup of tea, or my favorite of your songs by far. I actually listened twice because I thought it might grow on me, but it didn't.

Lynn

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 09:11:07 PM »
This is gorgeous.. Beautiful vocal and harmonies.. guitar is just fab in the second verse. The clarity in your mixes is just awesome.

The chorus is really lovely.. melody is very emotive..

Kinda agree with @redrhodie on the keys.. but not the intro part or rhythmic parts - I really liked them, just the bit at 1.18 and when that repeats towards the end.. jars a little. Otherwise I just loved it!!

K

Modestmouse1965/

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 11:21:54 PM »
Being a punk for the last 40 years this is not the type of music i would normally listen to. With that said i can appreciate other genres as i write songs in all styles myself. With this song i can really hear the emotion and effort put in and this sounds as good as any i i have heard in this style Sorry i don't know what i would add or change to this as i cant fault it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-335183051

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 09:25:54 AM »
Love the soundscape here - your vocal sounds a bit closer and less processed than on some of your bigger tracks, which suits the intimate/confessional feel. Great guitar sound and progressions.

I'll confess that the chorus didn't really draw me in - I think I just didn't relate to it or find it instantly understandable, but that's a personal thing.

Cool Summer (?) track though!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 08:26:37 AM »
I really like the soundscape (choice of instruments and effects) in this Kev AND like for PaulAds that 7th chord really struck me - a little unexpected left turn that really works.  I guess it doesn't have a "blow your socks off" moment / big belting chorus but I felt that was fine for the mood of the song.  Very elegantly produced as ever and each verse has something additional and new to keep you interested.
It's all too beautiful.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 07:50:49 PM »
Yo Kev.

I listened to this about 4 days ago,but haven't had time to comment on the forum.

That golden,warm and melodic,yearning and aching trademark sound and vocals are all all present.

I have nothing forya in any meaningful criticism,man I just enjoyed the track.  8)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 10:03:18 AM »
Kev,
Restrained ballad allow your voice lots of space. some lovely touches in there like the 12 string and the major to minor key change.
Beautifully produced as ever.
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 01:14:07 PM »
Whato Kev

I can get the sad vibe of this one, a nice idea..it might be an idea to slow it down a bit and focus more on feeling like the lyrics imply.

@1:31 - you could give it a bit of vocal wellie, it might add some contrast...

I don't know if was me but did I hear some stem 'joins' in there? I usually whack up the sub bass near the end on this sort of this to get the tears going....

Hope this helps Kev

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 10:56:55 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Cool song. Nice and mellow; Restrained -as mentioned previously. Which I quite like in a song.

The processing of the vocals sound spot on to me.

Digger

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 03:49:52 PM »
The vocal line has a great texture to it, very emotive and some nice melodic turns. Lovely production and fine marriage of instruments.

Reading the comments above, mainly people wanting more of a stand out section... you could maybe take the melody of the second half of the chorus up a third, as it is that chorus that is a little on the long or repetitive side. But I do believe with a bit of tweaking this could be a great song. All sounds polished and better than that, very sincere.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 12:14:12 PM »
Hi Kevin, I see you haven't lost your touch in my absence . Lovely pop song with a sympathetic arrangement with you normal high production evident. Do I have to mention your singing? Anyway love your voice.

Good stuff mate!
Cheers
Jamie

PaulG

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 03:37:47 PM »
Jealous of the crisp production! I liked the piano beavering away in the background.