Hold Me Tight

• 27 Replies

Modestmouse1965/

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 09:08:29 PM »
Hi great dark song dont know much about production but cant hear anything that puts me off. Dont know why but i can hear Kate Bush proudly singing this one. Cheers.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 10:05:15 AM »
"Whatever demons threaten you/Must reckon first with me"
This line may be the best thing I have heard all year.

And I particularly love opening lines which hit hard, which this is a fabulous example of.

Somehow the song follows its own rules - the verse lyrics (never cliched or forced) just come tumbling out.

Great production choices - the whistle, your voice also sounding remarkable here.

Wow, fantastic, emotional, and compelling stuff.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2019, 03:34:00 PM »
Wow! thanks so much for the positive feedback.. I'm a little blown away tbh... I get so consumed by the time I surrender the mix, I never know what I've done.. I'm completely chuffed at the feedback and thank you all for taking the time to listen and comment.

@adamfarr Thanks so much for your lovely comments - yes there are a lot of words in those verses, tumbling out is a good way to describe it....

@Modestmouse1965/ thanks a mill! Appreciated!

@Younger Hills Thanks a mill :)

@redrhodie - wow you are too kind, Lynn.. I'm so glad you liked it.

@nooms - thank you for your kind words and, well, I had a good steer on the arrangement from the King of Build himself :)

@Rightly - thanks a mill for your comments :) ..

@shadowfax Wow high praise, sir!

@crystalsuzy - thanks so much, you are always so encouraging - I really appreciate it.. such lovely words..

@RealKevM - thanks! Yes lots of words indeed.. I even took some out already :) !

@CaliaMoko thanks so much Vicki.. so glad you liked it.

@Skub - you are always so supportive, I very much appreciate it. Such lovely words. Glad you enjoyed the whistle - it seemed to fit somehow!

@pompeyjazz John you are too kind, sir! Delighted you enjoyed it!

@PaulyX - what lovely comments, I thank you.. Actually I did have drums in it initially but I took them out again as I wasn't convinced they added anything... perhaps just the ones I used and it did save me some hair as I hate mixing them!

@MichaelA - theatrical and dramatic eh? You know that's not me at all  ;D :) - I have noticed the "drama" word appear a few times.. Thanks for your supportive comments, always welcome!

@PaulAds Yes drums almost made it on there but as noted above, I took them out again! Love that image of the Blockheads.. Thanks for your lovely comments..

@Cowparsleyman - Rich thanks a mill for checking it out.. Good pointers re the rhythm ... as noted I couldn't make the drums work with it but interested in what you've noted. 

Thanks again all..

K

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 10:49:39 AM »
Hi MonnoDB,

I didn't miss the drums until I read cowparsleyman's reply. I'm not sure you need anything to generate a pulse. I feel it would take something precious away from the song. The whistle is great.

Keith

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 12:38:42 PM »
Lovely ballad that packs a power punch lyrically.
I noticed that line Adam pointed out as a highlight of the song too.
Great chorus and instrument choice.
Vox are outstanding.
Nothing to nit about here.  :D :D

cheers
Paul

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 03:01:14 PM »
@diademgrove - I'm not sure if it would work at all, I had the same issue on 'About Bees' I tried putting a milatry snare way in the back, just something key the listener's ear...I couldn't make it work in that song, and I'm sure that it wouldn't work in this ojne, but the acoustic gtr might have worked a tad easier...

I just found that as I was listening I was searching for a pulse, might not be the same for the next person...maybe the pulse is a little bigger, maybe at the end of each line, rather than beat/bar wise. I have to think laterally...

Such a treat to hear these songs, pure class, many of these songs on this forum would, 30 years ago,  have been in the top 40. So good to have high quaility resources at our fingertips, for less than the price of a day at a top studio.

irwin

• Solo Gig
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCoYFKSWTAI&list=PLWHZTIkxOCWkm6lSQEDem0DQqTMSAoLVe
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 04:03:40 PM »
Hi, very nice song the kind of song I wish I could of written. Keep it up and best of luck.

Irwin
Need your music on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc? Click DistroKid Link Below and Save 7%:
https://distrokid.com/vip/seven/2528627

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7nwjMIqpi8461amydZmWUC

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 07:46:42 PM »
@irwin thanks a mill - appreciate your comments..

@Paulski wow high praise and much appreciated, sir! Means a lot coming from your good self!

@diademgrove and @cowparsleyman - I've been tinkering a little - mostly vox and whistle levels and panning (I'm not done yet) so I kinda looked at the rhythm think but I think I would make it worse not better so I'm gonna just tweak and not alter the arrangement.. Thanks both for  making me think.. Glad you like the whistle, Keith - I seriously need to practice it, I dig it out very rarely :) ..

K

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2019, 06:01:00 AM »
@MonnoDB - hi karen, it’s a real tricky thing ..adding rhythm, i also tried on About Bees but came to the same conclusion that it’s better without, one has to stick to how you like it...have you got to that ‘yes it’s ready and i love it’ point yet, i don’t know if you ever painted in oils but that moment comes and i also experience that in writing and producing songs.

The critique on this forum acts to challenge that moment and sometimes I take inspiration from them and yes change it.

Anyway karen looking forward to hearing the reworked version.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2019, 03:43:33 PM »
Just to say just had a spin and really enjoyed it. The arrangement suited your vocals and melody, and the pipes were top lovely and evocative.
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2019, 04:37:20 PM »
Hi MonnoDB, really enjoyable, and not at all the sort of thing I would gravitate towards, but excellent nevertheless! Loved the vocals and the celtic feel with the whistle. Excellent harmonies too. I feelt it could have done with some percussion, but not a std drum sound, maybe a tambour or a bodhran (think thats how you spell it :P).
Very good!
Cheers
Jamie

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 01:10:00 PM »
Quick post to say thank you to @Jamie and @Neil C .. thank you both for giving it a spin.. Yes the percussion is a dilemma... I think I'm going to forgo as I'm afraid nothing I've tried so far worked.. Having said that, I haven't actually tried a bodhrán (yes correct spelling apart from the accent on the a  :) :)) . Thank you both!

K

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 10:43:54 PM »
Karen!! This is glorious mate! I really love it as it is, that whistle thingy....my god!! Are you playing that?? Sooo good!

Now, as you asked about the mix I’ll tell you what I noticed...now, again, I reiterate that it’s lovely as it is.....but you asked...😜 sooo...I’m listening on Apple pods and I think the first verse vocal seems a little muffled. (Reverbs fault perhaps?🤷🏼‍♂️)  I also thought that there were parts of the first half of the song where some words were too quiet and some were too loud...for example the first use of the word “fear” seems too loud. And then the second verse...starts too quiet...”I know your LAUGHTER IT CAN RING” gets loud...then perhaps too quiet for “darkness ever lifts, cast the past adrift”.

It’s such a lovely dynamic vocal delivery, but I would look at a little more volume automation , or perhaps stack compressors? Just to balance it out a touch more.

I hope this helps mate! I really enjoyed this one! Well done! 🎶👊🏻🎶😄