Original Song - 'Voodoo'

• 4 Replies

Avakxdo

• Busker
« on: August 16, 2019, 02:32:22 PM »
Hello, fellow musical creatives.

I'm a 24 yr old aspiring songwriter from London, UK and I have a passion for everything music, having written a ton of songs varying in styles from Pop to R&B, I am looking for feedback on my roughly recorded demo of my song Voodoo. Written by myself and produced by CERTIBEATS, I am wondering if it has top40 potential and if I have what it takes to become an industry songwriter?. Please find a link to the song below on my soundcloud and please give me some tips and what you like or dislike? Also, give me a shout if you're a singer or producer looking to collaborate? Many thanks, I hope you can go easy on my vocals, I know there not the best, aha!

https://soundcloud.com/nyworld/voodoo

Nieem

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 10:59:32 PM »
Hey Nieem, welcome to the forum, thanks for posting your track.  Firstly your voice is absolutely fine... I thought it had a really good timbre to it, you don't over emote so it doesn't get cheesy and sounds natural.  I liked the track too... the staccato synths of the opening, and it had an elegance all the way through.  My suggestion if you are up for one though is that it felt like you have written several top quality verses here - but where's the chorus?  I thought it could be a great song if you took it somewhere else occasionally - about the 1 minute mark I was expecting the chords and vocal melody to change and go up a gear, but it got a bit samey to my ears.  Maybe that's the kind of hypnotic/mantra feel you were aiming for, and if so, cool.  If you're looking for top 40 potential though I'd be inclined to make another pass at it and try and insert some big hooky choruses.  (Not that I've been anywhere near the top 40, or even the top 4000, so what do I know, but hey, it's feedback from this pair of ears).  Anyway, hope you like it here on the forum and find what you are looking for.  Pauly
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 07:40:00 PM by PaulyX »
It's all too beautiful.

Anthony Skye

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 11:02:34 AM »
I agree with PaulyX. Chorus. I think it would make a big difference here. All the other elements are there already.

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 01:44:21 PM »
The sound is good, but like the rest, I expect something to happen! Around the one minute mark, if you just have a chord-change in there and/or change your voicing, it would make a big difference. I heard you changed it a little around 2.23 when you started singing faster, but apart from that it's a little staccato, with the same chords over and over and you're keeping the voice safe.

To get into top40 is really tough, and what I like is certainly different from what someone else likes, and the industry changes all the time. You definitely have a talent for songwriting and you have a nice voice, so just keep going and keep writing and you may get your shot :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 05:29:34 PM »
Hi nieem

First welcome to the forum...it’s really cool here man.

Paulyx is right, voice is good, production is ok, it could do with a M8, something hooky...just sing around it in another key, fool right around with it, also maybe add some vocal contrast, by 1:00 i could guess where it’s going, surprise me ...you put in a few BVox and HVox, could do with some perc...female vox would suit well on the 
Just sounds a little bit like you found a few good loops...

Maybe put a bit more feeling in your LVox delivery , sound like you really mean it.

Think of it like a pro producer would ... what does this song bring that all the others don’t, what makes the listner sing it after it stops?

Ive witnessed some very strange approaches to make vocalists sing with passion..

Hope it helps