The end... new song by 4Below

• 17 Replies

Andyb

« on: August 14, 2019, 12:01:03 PM »
A song about a failed relationship (how original) with an 80s inspired vibe and a really heavy ending. Again its pretty much a bass only affair.
https://soundcloud.com/user-214476590/the-end

Also now a basic lyric video if that is more your thing
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:18:16 PM by Andyb »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 04:57:13 PM »
Nothing wrong with writing about a failed relationship mate...it's been done, is being done and will keep on being done...so no need to crit yourself..
enjoyed the song, a couple of  things I would like to suggest, I think the verses are too long, they are very repetative and would benefit from being shorter, they're good..just too long :) the heavy end is also good but again too long, :)

I didnt think it sounded 80's, thought it sounded fairly up to date actually, Foo fighters kinda stuff.. :)
good work mate.. :) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Andyb

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 05:53:36 PM »
Nothing wrong with writing about a failed relationship mate...it's been done, is being done and will keep on being done...so no need to crit yourself..
enjoyed the song, a couple of  things I would like to suggest, I think the verses are too long, they are very repetative and would benefit from being shorter, they're good..just too long :) the heavy end is also good but again too long, :)

I didnt think it sounded 80's, thought it sounded fairly up to date actually, Foo fighters kinda stuff.. :)
good work mate.. :) 8)
appreciate the comments and agree to a point. We've spent so much time on this the last couple of days I'm not sure I'm strong enough to go back to the studio with it lol. I guess I could break up certainly the second double verse with a chorus but I kinda like the unusual arrangement where the verses taking centre stage and the chorus in a secondary position. And I'm glad you made it all the way to the end for the outro. In my head this was done with s view to playing live so I don't know if I would shorten it ... You never know though once I've lived with it for a bit.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 05:54:41 PM »
Hi
I like this bass driven electro pop/rock.
You'vegot ready good vocals - it reminds me a lot of Snow Patrol.
Dynamic, moody and catchy too. I didn't have a problem with the lengths of the verses, maybe two bars of the ending, but its not a long song.
Lots to like here.
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Andyb

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 01:22:33 PM »
Hi
I like this bass driven electro pop/rock.
You'vegot ready good vocals - it reminds me a lot of Snow Patrol.
Dynamic, moody and catchy too. I didn't have a problem with the lengths of the verses, maybe two bars of the ending, but its not a long song.
Lots to like here.
 :)
neil
thanks Neil, appreciated

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 01:36:42 PM »
The title 'The End' was appropriate , but for a different reason for me, as that heavy ending really exploded the song into life with some power. Great guitar sound.

It's an interesting backing track you put together, reminding me of 80s simple electro pop to begin with, but then millennial Rock by the end, an unexpected mash up but one that I think works and that you could do more with.

Maybe that chorus could have been hookier? But overall you sold it to me, not least because of that ending! ...erm did I mention that?
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »
@Andyb - Interesting start, that 808 snare seems a little high in the mix, nice gtr work. LVox are powerful and punch through well, although they obliterate everything else...maybe that's what you wanted, (I had the same issue with the heavy gtrs on Spitting Feathers - couldn't decide on the level 2 gtrs can take over, as they take up a lot of the space.

Anyway. nice to hear a different style, thanks man.

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 09:14:00 PM »
I really love your stuff and this is another great song. Michael said the chorus could have been catchier, and y'know I think that's almost right. The melody is spot-on in my opinion, but if only there were some big & smooth backing vocals to bring that bit out, it could really have made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 09:30:45 PM »
Your voice as usual is superb, full of character (agree with Neil about the Snow Patrol association... it might just be us hearing a Caledonian accent though... anyway it's a fine comparison and you sound awesome).  I didn't think the verses were too long but did think you could maybe vary the vocal melody a little in the second half of them.  By contrast I thought the ending was too short!  That's when it really kicks in and takes no prisoners, I would have quite happily had that bashing around my ear drums for a bit longer.  Plenty of dynamics in this track and well produced - your stuff always sounds like you have a pro studio set up behind you.
It's all too beautiful.

Andyb

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 08:41:32 AM »
I really love your stuff and this is another great song. Michael said the chorus could have been catchier, and y'know I think that's almost right. The melody is spot-on in my opinion, but if only there were some big & smooth backing vocals to bring that bit out, it could really have made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
I might look at bvs in the chorus I did have some but they didn't make the cut but definitely worth looking at again. This was a tough one for me to take the vocal up a step from the verse so I purposely down played them to give some sort of contrast

Andyb

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 08:44:35 AM »
Your voice as usual is superb, full of character (agree with Neil about the Snow Patrol association... it might just be us hearing a Caledonian accent though... anyway it's a fine comparison and you sound awesome).  I didn't think the verses were too long but did think you could maybe vary the vocal melody a little in the second half of them.  By contrast I thought the ending was too short!  That's when it really kicks in and takes no prisoners, I would have quite happily had that bashing around my ear drums for a bit longer.  Plenty of dynamics in this track and well produced - your stuff always sounds like you have a pro studio set up behind you.
interesting remark about the pro studio 😂😂 in reality it's an old second hand laptop that is really struggling with what I ask of it, a free daw, a second hand interface, a 20 watt practice guitar amp, a squier bass and a borrowed mic stuck in the corner of an untreated spare bedroom !

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 01:08:54 PM »
love the drive in this.. really flys
good vocals to boot
punchy and that outro the knockout
i did think the intro maybe dates it
id like it to come straight in but..

terrific track andy
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Andyb

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 01:19:20 PM »
Now added a lyric video for the track above

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 01:35:16 PM »
Holy cow! Awesome stuff! Love, love. love that bass sound!
Good dynamics and I f***** love the break at 2.30!
Mix is great, only not would be the vox that I think could actually be backed off in the busier parts to put in "in" with the rest.
Other than that no nits for my, just enjoying it immensely.
Well don!

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 02:15:14 PM »
The melody in verses is a little monotonous, but I think it works. It makes the chorus seem more powerful. The part where you belt it out that leads into the instrumental ending is great. I think you should add some background vocals to the chorus to oomph it up even more if you're going to rework it, but it's already really good.

Lynn