Just a Cabaret

• 10 Replies

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« on: August 14, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »
After posting a number of songs with a fairly traditional structure we needed to let our hair down. Here's 10 minutes of the good, the weird and the gilly. Be warned this song is not for the feint hearted. Enjoy.

Keith, Dave and Lynn

Listen to and Hull Soul Collective       Just A Cabaret by faraway my lovely on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-468459034/just-a-cabaret-remix-4

Lyrics:

Just a cabaret for the floorless generation
(Just a cabaret for a flawless generation)

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 10:13:50 AM »
Letting your hair down? - that's pretty long hair.
Like a ... Playground, or a long needless carnival day.
I've been without alcohol for over two weeks now. I'm not missing it, just as this song isn't either.
The song doesn't need a sense of direction, still I was looking for one.
Sounds like you're taking a day off, hanging out. Something I find hard to do.
This is what happens between events. The stuff of life.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 06:17:55 PM »
Just need to let it swirl around in some hallucination.... measured though and cleverly introducing enough
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 02:08:31 PM »
I don't feel that qualified to comment on this kind of experimental, amorphous stuff...

But it's quite a disturbing soundscape you've put together, slightly chaotic and unpredictable. So it's quite humorous when the Lyrics from 'Cabaret' come in as I couldn't think of any two musical elements further apart- that Broadway show and this menacing cacophony of dark improvisation. Nice contrast.

However, being an old fashioned structuralist I would rather listen to your Delilah and your Boots songs, as they cross over from being the musically left wing outfit you are into something more accessible and fun. But it is personal taste, I know, so not sure how helpful that is.

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 05:38:11 PM »
Hi Keith, Dave and Lynn,

Wow ! 10 minutes - I like this type of dark brooding, trippy sort of stuff. There are gazillions of things going on here. It's hard to critique as it's unconventional. I liked it although it would probably freak me out if I'd eaten some mushrooms  ;D

Keep on knocking out that stuff guys

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 09:40:31 PM »
Faaaaar out.  Obviously experimental and unconstrained, telling convention where to get off.  Did you jam it free form or was it pre-conceived?  It's a shifting, slithering mood piece rather than a song I felt... I'd probably like to hear it in a modern art installation more than I'll appreciate here on my sofa.  But I massively respect you tearing up the rule book, and the way the title totally wrong-foots expectations.
It's all too beautiful.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »
The gloomy,portentous intro develops into a plodding,stalking monolith of a track.

Back in the day I used to listen to a lot of early Pink Floyd/Soft Machine/Faust etc,so I'm no stranger to tripped out jams!

It's refreshing to hear music played the way the players wish it to be played,with no pretensions aimed at radio play or commercial success. I can dig that.

It's pointless for me to offer any kind of critique that would be valid,I found it an interesting listen and it also reminds me what a dull verse/chorus writer I've become,but hey I'm old,so I'm allowed!  ;D

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »
Love how the track introduces itself.. Stuck this on my ear buds as I moved about the house (tidying up stuff, as you do) and it was an interesting accompaniment I must say – lots to listen to and get your ears around… So far away from anything I could do, it’s impossible for me to critique in any meaningful way.. I will say that it made my mundane task a LOT more interesting and possibly a lot less productive than it could have been as I found myself stopping and listening while staring into the distance a fair bit :-) .. Love the creativity - what a trip!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 06:10:22 PM »
I appreciated this much more than I thought - and ended up listening more times than I thought. There are a lot of themes and motifs and textures which come and go, which is probably more like classical or jazz and certainly not just a jam. If anything I was less sure about the voices as they seemed to be suggesting different things to me. But much respect and congrats on the end product.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 11:46:59 AM »
Thanks Rightly, Michael, Neil, John, Davy, Karen, Paul, and Adam. Really appreciate all of your support, ideas and thoughts. Playing in an art installation is a dream of mine. I hope that actually happens.

Lynn

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 10:23:14 AM »
Its been a long time between comments but my hard drive gave up. I rescued a lot of things but my programs and settings disappeared. That'll teach me to do a back up. Well maybe.

Thanks for all the positive comments. It was fun recording the track and Lynn's vocals are essential to how the music sounded in my head (sorry Adam).

Rightly, I've been off the alcohol for decades and definitely don't miss it. Keep it up. Whether its a day off depends on how much jazz you listen to.

Thanks MonnoDB, music to clean the house to, Richard Hamilton eat your heart out :)

Thanks Skub, early Floyd with Syd is my favourite period as well. verse/chorus isn't dull.

Thanks Paulyx, some of it was preconceived, some added on top and some just happy accidents. They never have the music loud enough in art installations, at least the ones I've seen. Cranked up on headphones whilst laid on the sofa is as good a place as any to listen.

Thanks pompeyjazz, much appreciated.

Thanks MichaelA,  Cabaret was set in1930s Berlin as the Nazis rose to power, an unpredictable, chaotic and disturbing place.

Thanks Neil C enjoy the trip,

Keith