konalavadome

New best friend's sister - collab with Katie and PompeyJohn on BV's

• 17 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: August 13, 2019, 08:44:58 AM »
Phew,
I'm tired just typing out the title. Hoping you're all having a great summer.

So it started with Katie's neat kitchen sink lyrics, which hooked me with the first line.
And I though it just needed a simple pop tune. I sent it over to her and she liked it but though it lacked a little something, so I worked on the harmonies and asked the very talented PJ if he could do his BV magic and voila here's the result.

Do let me know what you think and any suggestions.

:)
neil

I saw her in the kitchen, she was making tea
My new best friends sister, it was meant to be

She looked round and saw me, and gave me a smile
She could tell I liked her, it stood out a mile

She asked me if I took milk and sugar
So transfixed as I held on to the cooker
I saw her in the kitchen..

I couldn’t believe how pretty, I wanted to tell her
She was best. I want to be her fella

My new best friend said it was time to go
Looked him squarely in the eye and I said “no”
No, no no..

Middle

Needed a moment so that the flags could unfurl
I needed an excuse to stay close to this girl

She asked me if I took milk and sugar
So transfixed as I held on to the cooker

I saw her in the kitchen, she was making tea
My new best friends sister it was meant to be

She looked round and saw me and gave me a smile
I could tell that she liked me it stood out a mile

C Wilson/Connor 2019
songwriter of no repute..

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 08:55:10 AM »
Very cool collab guy's... 8) I think could not believe how pretty would sing better than I couldn't believe how pretty

the song that has  sort of American 50's feel, I think it's BV's bringing that feel on..and maybe the mouth organ, or both ;D

top work guy's 8) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 03:30:21 PM »
That was fun and definitely my style. :D

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 05:59:14 PM »
This is a great collaboration. A real mix  of all of your unmistakeable trade- mark signatures.  love pompey's backing vocals and the musical backing is exquisite, set to the uncomplicated, no nonsense lyrics. This is instantly accessible/catchy. Well done to everyone involved. paul

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 06:07:13 PM »
I love the cooker pic on the Soundcloud page. I am sure I used to have that model in my student flat so many years ago! But of course it suits this kitchen sink drama very well.

The song reminds me of narrative songs by the likes of Ian Dury or Squeeze in the late 70s, so very urban English, understated and beautifully wry.

Well the combination of vocals is a delight too, not least down to the mix which just melts the whole thing together. Just makes me smile this, top entertainment!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 10:22:37 PM »
Yo you three.

I hear the 50s thing too,for me it's John's sweet BVs which trigger that connotation!

I get a Joe Jackson vibe also 'Different for Girls'? Not a rip off,just influenced,I think that's still allowed!  ;D

Katie's cool lyrics are everywhere,I've one I'm currently working on too!

The three of you work very well together. Love your guitar sound Neil,I know I always mention it,but well...you keep doing it!  :D

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 10:55:23 PM »
Great dynamics in this - nice highs and lows as the song progresses, especially the way the bvs come and go. Enjoyed the harmonica and some particularly sharp guits in the middle. Lyrics cool too although I think I’d love one more verse where it reaches a conclusion - either they get the girl, or get a slap etc, some kind of pay off? The sugar/cooker couplet is a joy though... Alan Bennett in its Englishness (Mrs Pauly overheard the lines about tea just now and said it should be our national anthem).
It's all too beautiful.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 02:37:41 PM »

Shadowfax - thanks yes " I couldn't believe how pretty" that how I sing it live. Delighted you liked it.

CaliaMoko - 'fun' is very good 

Wicked Deeds - thanks for the feedback - yes I think all the bits added up to a whole

MichaelA - thanks loving the so very urban English, understated and beautifully wry comment

Skub - yes John BV's were the icing. And yes the simplicity of Joe Jackson and the guitar- all down to my lovely https://www.kemper-amps.com/products/profiler/line-up toaster thingy

PaulyX - you've a very wise Mrs Pauly there, of course it should be a national anthem :-). Lyrics - Katie left us wanting more.... liking the ambiguity

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 07:06:16 PM »
Great to be invited to participate on this song. It got me hooked straight away. I love the kitchen sing lyrics and Neil's vocal delivery and Joe Jacksonesque guitar

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 12:51:04 PM »
Lots of lovely stuff going on in here. Great layering of sounds.

Masterful instrumentation, Neil...you do this sort of thing so well.

Great to see Katie and PJ getting involved too.

Very enjoyable...and sounds like you had a lot of fun doing it.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 01:26:17 PM »
Really sweet love song. Reminds me of J. Geils Band for some reason. Perfect music for Katie's awesome lyrics. Well sung both of you.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 04:51:32 PM »
This is very well put together. Lyrics are great - I can see why they grabbed you and I think you've done a great job with them, style suits them perfectly.. Instrumentation / arrangement is great and gotta love those "Aaahs.." Fab!

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 08:43:16 PM »
Three way collab? Cool! Really nice vibe to this incl the patented Connor guitars. Mix sound really good, great lyrics and a solid song. My only nit would be the BVs that (too my ears) sound a bit off pitch at one or two occations. Or it may be spot on but the harmonies a bit odd to my ears? Disclaimer: I have been wrong before :-)
Overall a very enjoyable listen, well done all of you

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 11:23:49 PM »
@Girlinside Katie, check out the great reviews, hope you’re liking the final version.
:-)
Neil

Girlinside

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 07:31:55 AM »
Thanks Neil I love it and thanks everyone who helped xx