konalavadome

Jill, Bruce Springsteen and me

• 9 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: August 11, 2019, 11:17:56 AM »
It's been a while since I posted. I've been stockpiling songs and now that I've moved back to my home town and began to organise my home, it won't be long before I start to record my acoustic sketches in my studio.  Perhaps this might be the first......

Jill, Bruce Springsteen and me

Jill looked for a sign
'twas on  the radio;
a sign that love might be.
It was Jill, Bruce Springsteen and me.

A storm cloud filled the sky,
water  surged below.
I held her in my arms
'til we  kissed and then  let go.

Perhaps I'll catch her
in a sleepless moment.
Though it's far more likely In a dream!

I came in search of love.
Her calmness soothed the pain.
The thunder wasn't heard
so we  began again.

I may reflect upon
my journey to today.
A girl with storm cloud eyes
Caught my gaze then walked away.

Perhaps I'll catch her
In a sleepless moment.
Though it's far more likely In a dream!

Jill looked for a sign
'twas on the radio;
a sign that love might be.
It was Jill, Bruce Springsteen and me

Written by Paul Vasey August 2019

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:36:42 PM by Wicked Deeds »

HappyDays

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 06:43:07 AM »
Hey Wicked Deed,

The title really drew me in, so I had to check what it was about.

After reading the lyrics a few times, I came up with what the lyrics were talking about. At first, I thought it was about a one-night stand between two people - as they make love while listening to Springsteen. Then I also thought if this was an homage to a Springsteen song. I also thought if this was all a dream/fantasy of a woman the guy came up with.

I'm not sure which one of those is the real story. Maybe I'm just really daft and I didn't see the obvious.

Solid start and I hope to read more of your work.

Rocky

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 07:01:47 AM »
This is super, Paul.

Almost conversational, with its hook line....very classy.

Made to measure...not just a remnant... I'm sure it'll make an excellent song...

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 04:19:50 PM »
It's a really interesting lyric. I couldn't help wondering which Bruce song had that effect on her (Thunder Road? or more ironically Hello Sunshine?)

I really like the short lines and non-obvious storyline.

I saw that you had "storm cloud" twice - which opens up some different meanings - but I couldn't tell whether that was deliberate or not.

Anyhow, this looks to me like a large and fertile acorn.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 06:18:05 PM »
Hi other Paul  ;D
I like how this one lets the listener fill in the blanks based on his/her own perceptions of the imagery (which are strong BTW). A couple of tiny suggs:

It was Jill, Bruce Springsteen and me.

I think you can lose the "It was" unless you need the syllables musically.

and

water  surged below.

-- suggest you check the plumbing  ;D ;D

Good stuff as usual
Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 09:28:41 PM »
I'm so surprised to see that this song has been so well received. The setting for the story is by The River Wear in the city of Durham, England.

The unmistakeable voice of Bruce Springsteen was heard  on the radio only a few days prior to the night when the river raced like a runaway train.  Jill thought that perhaps the words and melody to "Thunder Road" signalled that something quite special was about to happen. 

The credits rolled bringing the movie "Blinded by the Night" to an end. Outside, the heaven's opened up and the rain came pouring down but the thunder couldn't be heard as the river surged and two people made their way to their cars then said Goodbye. 

Sometimes, people fall with their eyes wide open. At other times, it only happens when we're  sleeping.

If you haven't heard the new Springsteen album "Western Stars" then I highly recommend it.  The Boss is in great form but he couldn't work his magic on that late summer night.  Still,  "It was Jill, Bruce Springsteen and me."

Rocky, this song does indeed pay homage to "Thunder Road."
You were hot on the trail!

Thank you my friend.

@PaulAds  this song has your name written all over it. I would really like you to sing this song once I've produced it! Let me know if you'd like to get involved..

@adamfarr -  right on the money my friend. "Thunder Road" is the song in question.  Storm cloud sneaked in twice because this was a late night write. It does however open up two very different meanings.

@Paulski. Perhaps I should experiment with your suggestion. At the moment the words fit  the melody structure but I could experiment with omitting one or two.
I had the same thoughts about "water surged below." Thankfully it was quite natural for the river to do this on such a stormy night. 😂

Seriously, thanks everyone!

Paul
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:48:03 PM by Wicked Deeds »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 10:41:12 AM »
Yikes!

I'd love that... Ta!

I will brush and floss and rinse with a proprietary brand of mouthwash beforehand too, in an effort to avoid giving it the kiss of death 😃

Paul
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:59:13 AM »
You are brilliant with your words, Paul! :) Looking forward to hearing this when you get it produced :)

Cheers

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 12:07:29 PM »
@Younger Hills,

You are too kind my friend :)

This song is now a whisker away from completion.  I've invited several forum members to play on this song and I am thrilled with the progress that it is making.  It's a gentle but powerful song with drums, bass, strings, acoustic rhythm, fingerpicking, clean electric and harmonica.  The very talented PaulAds is taking centre stage on vocals for this one.  I'm waiting for contributions from 3 more forum members and it will be good to go.  To be honest, there's something about the song and production that  almost moves me to tears. I hope that's a good sign.

Paul

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 12:29:24 PM »
Amazing @Wicked Deeds :) Almost like I pictured the song in my head! :)