konalavadome

Gloves off?

• 33 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 05:39:02 PM »
@cowparsleyman You sure need to deal with those engraving issues otherwise your song is going nowhere

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2019, 12:26:35 AM »
With all due respect:   EVERYONE want's "honest criticism" --- until they get some.  We've all learned who WANTS honesty, and who wants to be flattered after a little time here.  So, most of us are cautious. 

Giving feedback to someone we don't know, (if I like the offering) I offer big encouragement mixed with slight criticism.  THEN, (based upon the response to the slight criticism) I make a judgement about what the poster really WANTS. 

From that point on, I only offer the desired amount of criticism on ONLY songs I like. 

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who does this.   
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2019, 01:10:06 PM »
Hey

I write this reply knowing I am likely one of those reviewers who comes across a little too polite and I can be gushing but it's always genuine.

As a songwriter who has struggled to capture their ideas in a recording, I find it extremely difficult to be critical of others who are simply trying their best. I offer bits of advice where I am comfortable doing so but always try to leave positive comments where I feel they are deserved, which to me is most, if not all, of the time >.<

For the more experienced I offer little because it would be like me trying to tell a pro golfer how to swing a club but I do enjoy watching them play ;) and will always comment on a good shot! OK, analogy segway...hope you followed

All the best

Darren

Modestmouse1965/

• Busker
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 09:34:58 PM »
Personally, i have joined the site to learn from other musicians. I am older in years now and can take a kick in the you know whats. I am not saying that the person giving the review should tell you they hate your song as that's just nasty and helps no-one, but in their ears if they can hear something wrong with the song or have something that they think would take the song to the next level then they should say it in a way that the person asking for the review can learn from. By being too nice in a way is as bad as being nasty in that when the songwriter writes another song for review they will most likely have the same mistakes and be no further forward as a songwriter. In order for us to become better writers i think we must imagine that we are all in the same room writing together and give each other our opinions with respect and with the idea that we will all become better at what we do.