Songwriter Forum > The Bar

Gloves off?

(1/7) > >>

PaulAds:
Hello

I was just wondering whether anyone else feels that they’d sometimes like to give and receive more critical feedback? I don’t mean for everyone, of course...but perhaps for some of us who have been around the track a couple of times.

We’re an awfully polite bunch...which is lovely...but I sometimes feel that I would benefit from more brutally honest feedback...I know I can write some good songs and lyrics...but if I’m off the mark and have written something that’s a bit rubbish or formulaic or lyrically tiresome...I think I’d rather have my illusions shattered.

There are many folks on here who’s judgment I very much trust...and whom I consider to be friends too...and everything would be taken in the spirit intended.

Any thoughts?

PaulyX:
Yeah i agree Paul, would be up for that and have had similar thoughts. I guess the poster should indicate in their post that they want the feedback 'extra spicey'?

CaliaMoko:
I'm sure you already know I agree with this @PaulAds ! I love getting critical feedback I can get my teeth into. Lately I've been forgetting to say so. It's invigorating. And I really appreciate when I feel safe giving detailed, honest feedback to others, when I feel moved to do so. What's a good way to indicate what we want? A simple, "Please be brutal"?? Or maybe "Spicy feedback strongly encouraged". Hmm, too wordy. Critically honest feedback please....??

Anyway, I'm definitely on board!

Vicki

cowparsleyman:
Great post @PaulAds et al... I’m torn to be honest, I always try to offer something that might work for the song, but I’m also sensitive to the artist’s general ability It’s all appropriate...I’m up for any constructive advice, If someone doesn’t like my work thats OK...i can dig it. What I’ve found in the past is that if I’ve made a complete error in production, that won’t go un noticed by the forum and is really well received, blunt is OK as i can be a tad direct...

jacksimmons:
Yes I definitely agree.

I noticed as soon as I joined that everyone is incredibly polite and it can be good for an ego boost but I sometimes worry not everyone is totally honest. As a result, I find myself commenting less and less because rather than be critical I choose not to give feedback at all.

I would love to give more critical feedback and would love to get more. I think there’s a general feeling that a song is a song and when someone has worked so hard on writing and composing it, it’s a little too late for a rewrite. Kind of like telling someone you hate their tattoo - what’s the point?

There’s a lot of music that’s not to my taste here and that’s another reason I rarely comment on something I dislike. It might just be subjective.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version