konalavadome

Heavy Metal advice....

• 5 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: August 02, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »
Whato All, I'd like to try my hand at writing a heavy metal song, I've got a few ideas, but I would really be grateful for a top 5 list from metal fans as to what should be in it...

Could be things like:
Must be a 7 string rhythm gtr
No whammy bar
No female BVox, or conversely all female vox
Shouty vocals
shreddy gtr solo
Huge drums, maybe a choice kit would help
A story to the lyrics
...etc.

Plus any production tips...

It's just to assist me with going in the right direction and popping the bits in that metal fans want to hear...can't say that I'll able to do it mind...

Are there any metal vocalists out there?

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 12:53:48 PM »
just remembered @SlavaB - man you might know?

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 08:06:12 AM »
just remembered @SlavaB - man you might know?

Hello mate,

Please accept my deepest apologies for that reply, after almost a year. A trouble is I always use this forum via my phone which doesn't highlight the messages I receive hence missed a lot since last time I used desktop pc. I only now found out that I was nominated for one of the SOTM in May 2019 lol :D

In case you are still interested in tips I thought id still reply, as late better then never, just don't want to give an impression that im ignorant because im not...

Im not a pro and don't have any sort of musical education , but ill try to give my best advise :

I don't have one but for metal to have 7-8 string guitar is a beast, and im certainly will definitely get one when opportunity arise.
As there is many subgenres for the metal, you can literally put your metal ideas in and it will come up with some subgenre if you see what I mean.

In terms of equipment or what best to use its again a personal choice, as I know many local musicians who are in a metal music and they all use different stuff.

As I write industrial metal and I really like it, I would say for synths is best to use "Massive" plugin, for the drums I use Acoustic kit by Komplete ( Studio Session Kit ). Guitar wise the best tunings for it would start from Drop D and down, so I would say Drop D or Drop C would be the most common tunings to use, but I also know that some guys used Drop B and sounded great.

The tempo for the metal again various as it depends what subgenre you are going for, in my case I always go 120-149 BPM's .

In terms of a song structure, again down to preferences. When I write my stuff I write it to suit my live performances so not trying to over complicate the harmonies and the song structure.

Hope it helps, and once again im very sorry that I only seen this now. By the way as its a last years thread, did you write anything up in this genre? would love to hear what you came up with.

Best Regards,
Slava B.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »
I would have been tempted to wait a few weeks and reply a year to the day!

You have clearly given this reply a lot of thought @SlavaB   ;D ;)

In all seriousness, it is great you have replied  :) - as you said: better late than never
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 12:49:55 PM »
I would have been tempted to wait a few weeks and reply a year to the day!

You have clearly given this reply a lot of thought @SlavaB   ;D ;)

In all seriousness, it is great you have replied  :) - as you said: better late than never

Ha ha, yeah... replied now tho as may not have a chance in a near future. By the end of the day im a parent now for the last 2 years, so very limited in time and my creativity :D

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 11:18:25 PM »
@SlavaB - man, it’s totally cool, congratulations on becoming a father, that’s really a wonderful thing...it’s funny Slava but im still prepping for the metal genre...I’ll give it a go but I’m not confident at all about it.

Thanks for the tip, the only drop D stuff I’ve done is Bach, joni Michell and ralph mc tell....

I watched 15 different styles of metal and it made my throat sore just watching it.

Should the lyrics have a storyline? I can’t hear the words on some songs.

But im determined to have go at it.

I’ll sure be in touch when I’m a bit closer...

I feel like a cross between waynes workd, bad news, spinal tap and metallica...

Wish me luck Mr B