Spitting Feathers

• 29 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 09:30:19 AM »
@Younger Hills - Thanks very much for your comments, really appreciate the comment about lyrics, I was also very pleased with the drum sound, this was done by using the ACME Opto XLA3 compressor (from plugin alliance) over the drum buss, it's just perfect for huge drums.

if you remember which song I'd like to know.

Thanks again

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 03:32:28 PM »
Yo CPM.

This track has a fine 70s feel,love the whole sound,but especially the guitars. Right up my street!

If comparisons are your thing,I hear Godley and Creme (10cc) They always wrote very clever/hooky pop songs and for me this is on a par.

Very enjoyable listen.  8)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 06:09:12 PM »
Liking the funky pop rock style. Catchy with the bass and drums.
Then you get the doubled vocals and then the guitars Killers bit :-)

Just thought the verse vocals could be a bit higher in the mix. And not a big fan of bass solo's - nowt wrong with what your playing - but the guitar solo was cool.
And maybe you could put a great singalong chorus or oohs over the Killer guitar bits and repeat them more as they are the music hook
 :)
neil   
songwriter of no repute..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 08:07:39 PM »
Thanks for the listen and the critiques, I always respected you 2 for your work and your production, so I'm chuffed to bits to have both of you listen to it...

@skub  - Cheers my man, funny I thought I wanted to do something Muse'y (It had the working title of Museq after one of my EQ's) Cowparsleydaughter and I often played 'Time is running out' (she can play that tricky drum section where I can't) when we had a moment, so I kind of borrowed the idea of quietish, then building then noisey, the bass solo just emerged one day,  and the Clapton-esque solo, well youre an axeman - one can't resist it sometimes, CPD gets bored - she says h no - not another '80's gtr solo - how predictable, it's in our blood, you understand, I know you do...

Really appreciate the Godley & Creme comparison - I'm certainly not worthy of that, all of 10cc were blinkin pioneers, so so talented.

Glad you liked it Davy.

@Neil C - Thanks for the listen - I'm afraid I don't know any Killers stuff - I'm pretty naieve when it comes to anything after 1990...I understand about the bass solo thing, it's not everyones bag, just felt sort of right to me...although it could work without it.

I do have a super hooky BVox and HVox line for the 'Killers' gtr part, but I resisted using it, since less is more.

As you know  Neil these genres are new to me the whole point of the 'Genre Jumping' crusade is to improve my production, and boy it's pretty difficult sometimes...anyway glad you liked it.

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 09:06:17 PM »
I really like the arrangement and it's an excellent song. Focusing on the one negative (sorry) I'm surprised no one has mentioned the mix - I feel the vocals are too loud and up front. If they were a bit wetter and pushed back a bit, I think I would have been able to enjoy all the instrumentation a bit more.

It was great apart from that though. Vocals are probably the hardest to nail so it's not a major criticism; just trying to be constructive.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 01:26:20 PM »
Hey cpm,

Cool song, but since you were compelled to tell their story in your post, I was looking for more of that story in the song than I got. It's a good song, but if your goal was to tell that story, I think there could be more conflict reflected in the music, which I found to be kind of mellow and groovy. The guitar solos are too safe for a guy who is angry and about to leave. The bass, too. I really loved the story, though.

Lynn

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 08:08:02 PM »
Great backstory !! Cool bass solo! All well played (those hooks are, well, very hooky!) – really love this sound you’ve created.. lyrics great, sound and style right up my street.. All positive for me!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2019, 08:16:23 AM »
Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to listen...

@Bankie - I see your point about the LVox, I intentionally wanted them right up front (It was a 3 dimensional struggle between LVox, that clean gtr and the drum buss - you know the sort of thing , a dB her, another one off there - take off the solo, then a here - like old macdonalds farm!) and pretty dry, as if they were narrated rather than sung, to put more emphasis on the meaning than the melody, I agree they could go back abit in the mix, so I remixed it and brought the LVox down by 2dB , and it makes a difference, not sure I like it though, I'll pop @adamfarr 's suggestion for the door slam at the end (I've got one take of it , but I'm not happy with that either), when I'm able to get back to my music I'll post the remixed version here. Really appreciate the constructive crit.

@redrhodie - Hi Lynn, Yeah, I see what you mean, I guess my idea of painting the conflict were the heavy mesa boogie driven guitars...but your'e right, I will do a another mix with some pretty hairy guitars on it, I might even put it out to the forum, anyone fancy a go? needs to be edgy almost Zappa-ish - maybe @David Christy Jones? or one of @montydog - sax solos? Glad you liked the story...I think of it like going to the Tate or the National Gallery, a painting comes alive when you read the blurb. I imagined the bloke to be mellow and groovy, but not the bird, she was sexy but feisty and knew how to take of advantage of blokes using both.

@MonnoDB - Hi Karen - I have to ask where did MonnodB come from? such a cool name - glad you dig, I'm not really sure what the style is but thanks anyway, you know me I just play from the heart.

btw it's being released as a single on 1st Sept in all the usual places...

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 08:27:33 PM »
I loved the  supporting story and as soon as the song kicked in, I immediately loved it too.  It is very cool song and it sounds so good!  quality music.  It has everything that I want to hear in a song and production! One of my favourite songs that I have heard on the forum.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:04:33 PM by Wicked Deeds »

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2019, 01:50:01 AM »
Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to listen...

@Bankie - I see your point about the LVox, I intentionally wanted them right up front (It was a 3 dimensional struggle between LVox, that clean gtr and the drum buss - you know the sort of thing , a dB her, another one off there - take off the solo, then a here - like old macdonalds farm!) and pretty dry, as if they were narrated rather than sung, to put more emphasis on the meaning than the melody, I agree they could go back abit in the mix, so I remixed it and brought the LVox down by 2dB , and it makes a difference, not sure I like it though, I'll pop @adamfarr 's suggestion for the door slam at the end (I've got one take of it , but I'm not happy with that either), when I'm able to get back to my music I'll post the remixed version here. Really appreciate the constructive crit.

@redrhodie - Hi Lynn, Yeah, I see what you mean, I guess my idea of painting the conflict were the heavy mesa boogie driven guitars...but your'e right, I will do a another mix with some pretty hairy guitars on it, I might even put it out to the forum, anyone fancy a go? needs to be edgy almost Zappa-ish - maybe @David Christy Jones? or one of @montydog - sax solos? Glad you liked the story...I think of it like going to the Tate or the National Gallery, a painting comes alive when you read the blurb. I imagined the bloke to be mellow and groovy, but not the bird, she was sexy but feisty and knew how to take of advantage of blokes using both.

@MonnoDB - Hi Karen - I have to ask where did MonnodB come from? such a cool name - glad you dig, I'm not really sure what the style is but thanks anyway, you know me I just play from the heart.

btw it's being released as a single on 1st Sept in all the usual places...

I'd be all up for giving it a bash. Finally got a working computer again :P
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2019, 12:13:37 PM »
@Wicked Deeds - Blimey, thanks Paul, that's really kind of you, glad you liked it, means a lot to me, funny how something just hits you you, others are near misses and some fly straight past.

For me my favourite songs on this forum are:

"Underfelt" by Nooms and NeilC
"In Control and Liberated" PnB
"I can change" by Jambrains
"In love with misery" by Bankie
"My Hamster" by David Christy Jones

To be compared in the same universe as them has made my year. Honestly.

Thanks again.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 07:22:08 PM »
@cowparsleyman not very interesting at all - combination of my childhood nickname (derived from my surname - a Dublin tradition of appending ‘o’ to part of your name, inherited from my older brother, also a ‘Monno’ :-)) and the initials of a ‘band’ I was in, more a bunch of friends who occasionally recorded together a few times. Actually it was said bunch who challenged me to write a song (I was sure I couldn’t!) and I haven’t stopped since...

Now Cowparselyman has surely a better origin?!?!

K

Modestmouse1965/

• Busker
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2019, 07:35:36 PM »
I could listen to this all day. My favorite of yours so far. Like others i can hear the Bowie comparison which is a great compliment in anyone's book. Love the laid back style and your voice is of the  top notch rawness i love in music. Working my way through your back catalogue and very impressed and inspired. Keep up the great work.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2019, 09:15:14 AM »
@Modestmouse1965/ -  Thanks for the very kind words, the 'Top notch rawness' was helped by an awful chest infection, which is still there, (must get back singing while it lasts!) I had to sing very close to the mic to get any noise out....so glad you dig my work, that's all I ever wanted, for folk to say 'yeah that's nice' certainly was never to earn anything from it.

MonnodB - As for cpm...That came about when Hannah, my daughter was about 5, I was into Triathlons then and I wanted to buy a new wetsuit, so we went to a posh Tri shop in Nottingham, where there were a lot of super fit, athletes all mingling and swapping tales, I just talked to one bloke who just came back from doing the Rio ironman...then I went to try on the wetsuit (Hannah came with me), the fitting rooms were in the middle of the shop, with a rather flimsy looking curtain, you know the ones, that you have to keep looking to see if it's fully across...Anyway I had just my knickers on when Hannah pulled back the curtain, and shouted at the top her voice to all and sundry "He's not an Ironman, he's a cowparsleyman".

irwin

• Solo Gig
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCoYFKSWTAI&list=PLWHZTIkxOCWkm6lSQEDem0DQqTMSAoLVe
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2019, 04:12:34 PM »
Hi, Love your productions nice lyric too, you sure have my respect with this song. Interesting to know how many good writers are on this forum and to me you stand out. keep this up and you be going all the way up my friend. Good luck
Need your music on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc? Click DistroKid Link Below and Save 7%:
https://distrokid.com/vip/seven/2528627

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7nwjMIqpi8461amydZmWUC