konalavadome

Spitting Feathers

• 29 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: July 27, 2019, 07:00:39 PM »
This song is part of the Genre Jumping suite, this is Indy Rock.

A brief look into the life of a couple, madly in love then things go awry.

They live in a cool Brooklyn warehouse apartment, she is a Korean prodigy dancer and He's a struggling composer from Boston and She always promises to look for work as a dancer but never does.

He stands his 1962 sunburst finish Stratocaster against the bed, and She throws her dirty towels over it, She cooks dinner but he is always late to the table, the Summer is way too hot, the days are far too long, the noise from the street never stops...

The final argument is about her eating a chicken kebab, she has lots of fat around her mouth, she couldn't be bothered to wipe it away...somethings have to end.

Hope you like it, again it's all new to me....Any comment/advice/ideas are always welcome.

One note: I wanted the sound of a blazing row as an fx at the end, put one in but just didn't do it for me...

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:02:55 AM by cowparsleyman »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 08:21:50 PM »
I have no nits with the lyric. The melody line suits it well, I think. I can't judge mixing and production, so someone else will have to do that. As always, I really like your sound. That's all I have.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 08:32:33 AM »
Hi CPM, wow you've really thought through the backstory for this one. Its my kind of genre so I found lots to like here, particularly the guitar lines that punctuate things after the choruses. Nice octave jumping in the vocals too. The M8 was intriguing too... almost bust through the genre wall and went slap- bass funky. Cool laid back track.
It's all too beautiful.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 02:22:09 AM »
Hi CPM - what a great song - super hooky - great lyrics.
As Mueller would say. I don't see why anyone would not like this.  ;D
Vocals spot on. Guitar work fits like a glove and a bass solo! played by Stanley Clarke no less!
Impressed!
Paul

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 08:30:28 AM »
Thanks to everyone that took the time to listen.

@CaliaMoko - I'm always chuffed Vicky when you review my work, You were one of the first to review when I joined, and I never forgot that (along with Pompeyjazz and Purple cherry) I'm always relieved when you find 'no nits' one knows how tricky they can be to deal with...

@PaulyX - Cheers Paul - it was another song that came to me in bed on a Sunday morning (I've had quite a few - 'She shook me cold' was another that comes to mind). The Vocal 8va's had to wait a bit as I've had an awful chest infection since the beginning of June, the guide vocal was like this, but since then I've not been able to hit the highest of notes, so I actually recorded the lead vocal all in the lower register, but cowparsleydaughter didn't buy it, she said it has to be the 8va, so I tried a couple of days ago and I think I got away with it...(btw I did think of getting the 8va's done by a Korean female singer, to bring the story some context, but I thought would sound a bit 'Renee and Renate -ish' way too cheesey)

With the bass solo...hmm I just wanted to try something that brought a bit of contrast to the piece, since there was not real M8. From Clarke to Clapton - I just love the sound of Clapton's guitar, and he doesn't fill the air with notes, all the best solos are singable, Bohemian Rhapsody for example - the whole stadium can sing it - Beat it - no chance, people love it but can't sing it; for listener engagement simple is better. (wasn't sure about the end of the solo, a little tricky to sing, but I didn't want a corny whole tone scale, so I mixed it up a bit - diminished plus chromatic etc.

Glad you found it cool.

@Paulski - Your too kind man, Who is Mueller? I do like my fun with artist names, it's just a thing I have, I'm not trying to be like them it's really me saying, this guy is my influence for it, I can't play like them...one can dream. The Vocals are a little off, but I decided to keep 'em as they are a little edgey, like the song...

I'll be honest but I wouldn't have put you down as someone that would like this sort of thing, your songs are more Country based (and all brilliant - love the burger one and the il0v3U) so I'm particularly pleased that you dig.

I do put quite a bit of effort into the hooks in my work, both musically and lyrically, I listen to a lot of other peoples work (not just well known artists), look at what other songs have that makes them hooky, it's a very interesting study and very revealing, Bowie was a master of the hook.

Anyway, thanks again for listening and commenting.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:32:30 AM by cowparsleyman »

Andyb

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 04:28:27 PM »
cool back story - alarmingly detailed !
My favourite bit is the guitars coming in around 0.57 secs and gain at 2.06 and a groovy bass solo flung in for good measure - very very cool

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »
yes
super charming song and very well executed.
your productions are always a marvel
keep rocking'!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 02:56:54 AM »
I feel there is a tiny bit of David Bowie vibe here and why not he was brilliant, the whole piece is a tight package and I like it very much
cheers
Lilly

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 05:56:41 PM »
Hey CPM - great atmosphere here, love the guitar riffage, that bass solo, and the lower register vocal in particular. I think I'd have a definite ending (door slam?) rather than the rim shots but that's a teeny thing. Really entertaining story - I can't unsee the chicken fat now...

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 09:28:20 PM »
HI mate, really like this, the key change and chorus is great remind me of Pulp.

t.wretborn

• Busker
  • Hobby musician from Sweden.
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 08:18:50 AM »
Hi!
I think this was sweet! It felt stripped down but complex at the same time.
Great bowie style singing and fun with a bass solo :D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 05:48:24 PM »
Great little introduction to the atmosphere of this song CPM. Love the sleazy vibe, great when the heavier guitars kick in and you've been clever using a lot of light and shade. An excellent listen  :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 07:50:52 AM »
Hi CPM, I am intrigued to learn if you made up all that detailed back story before you got into the writing. It's almost as if you created characters in a novel and then wrote them a soundtrack!

There's some catchy elements to this with the melodic refrains and cool riffing, definitely encourages you to hit the replay button. I like the guitar bit that's almost a chorus in itself.

The first bit of the mid8 was a good contrast, but maybe disrupted the commercial flow of the song a little too much for me. That said, overall it's a really well put together song, very well played, sung and produced.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »
Wow, thanks for all your listens, quite taken aback by your comments, very much appreciated.

@Andyb - Alarmingly detailed...Yeah, I have a very, very clear image in my mind when I'm writing, it makes it so much easier, don't know why but it's always there. Glad you like the wide heavy gtrs...bass solo, I just dig messing about with ideas, and straying off the road of what you expect....

@rightly - Thanks for your kind words, glad you dig my production...Will you be releasing anything soon, I miss your songs man, I love your style.

@lillypilly - Thanks Lilly for your kind words, Hmm I was just mucking about with my vocal sound, I tried it on SuperFunk77, and thought maybe this works and I can get away with this, it was definately not supposed to sound like Bowie...he is one on my heroes (no pun intended), saw him a couple of times, his ability to entertain and write superhooks was incredible. Btw one of the hookiset drum fills ever was in heroes at live aid, just after he stops and Thomas Dolby fills in with the synth lulling one into a sense of calm, then Neil Conti bangs out that beautiful triplet based fill, always stuck in my mind as a masterpiece.

@adamfarr - BINGO Adam, you nailed it, your idea of the door slam is spot on, I'm going to use it, I really struggled with the ending, thanks very much for that, I'm forever in your debt.  Glad you liked it, that's just what i was after, visual imagery with the chicken fat, it's just another way to try and keep the song in a lsiteners focus, along with the music hooks...

@RealKevM - Pulp...never thought of that, certainly was not intended...thanks Kev

@t.wretborn - Bowie again - hmmm must remember how I sang it...I remember having the imagery in my mind when I was tracking the Vocals...did help a lot.

@pompeyjazz - That's nice of you to say John - light and dark - I guess that's what I was after...and a servings of ooomph.

@MichaelA - Thanks very much - The backstory came to me on a Sunday morning, as so often happens these days, the detail came as I was writing the lyrics, I'm forutnate that everything seems to come to me in one go, chords, lyrics and melody line, when I sit with my Tele, my pencil and a head full of inspiration.

The guitar section after the bass solo was an attempt to capture Clapton's brilliant yet simple sound & style (nothing to complicated, but the sound, oh the sound), I was never a big fan of Him, I always seemed to like his lines, I especially liked the fill after the solo on Ed Sheeans 'Dive' he used the nom de plume Angelo Mysterioso - so I borrowed that in the credits....(also check out 'And so is love' by Kate bush where he was wheeled in to provide fills - so, so brilliant work, he provides enough to remember yet does not detract from kates singing)

btw I used to paint in oils, I could only paint if my head was full of inspiration, in very much the same way.

Bye for now.

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 08:59:46 PM »
The guitar and drums sit so amazingly well in this one! The lyrics are fantastic, and it is well performed :) At first, the start reminded of a song I have heard before, but I don't know which song :p

Well done on this! :)

Cheers