Spitting Feathers

• 21 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
    • Cowparsleyman on Soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 08:30:19 AM »
@Younger Hills - Thanks very much for your comments, really appreciate the comment about lyrics, I was also very pleased with the drum sound, this was done by using the ACME Opto XLA3 compressor (from plugin alliance) over the drum buss, it's just perfect for huge drums.

if you remember which song I'd like to know.

Thanks again

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 02:32:28 PM »
Yo CPM.

This track has a fine 70s feel,love the whole sound,but especially the guitars. Right up my street!

If comparisons are your thing,I hear Godley and Creme (10cc) They always wrote very clever/hooky pop songs and for me this is on a par.

Very enjoyable listen.  8)
New album 'Look Up' available from bandcamp
https://vancemagill.bandcamp.com/album/look-up

'Flying Solo' by Davy Vance also available from bandcamp

https://vancemagill.bandcamp.com/album/flying-solo

Follow on Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/album/4BOvUv16dOl6cgcWANX1Dz

Soundcloud songs
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 05:09:12 PM »
Liking the funky pop rock style. Catchy with the bass and drums.
Then you get the doubled vocals and then the guitars Killers bit :-)

Just thought the verse vocals could be a bit higher in the mix. And not a big fan of bass solo's - nowt wrong with what your playing - but the guitar solo was cool.
And maybe you could put a great singalong chorus or oohs over the Killer guitar bits and repeat them more as they are the music hook
 :)
neil   
songwriter of no repute..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
    • Cowparsleyman on Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 07:07:39 PM »
Thanks for the listen and the critiques, I always respected you 2 for your work and your production, so I'm chuffed to bits to have both of you listen to it...

@skub  - Cheers my man, funny I thought I wanted to do something Muse'y (It had the working title of Museq after one of my EQ's) Cowparsleydaughter and I often played 'Time is running out' (she can play that tricky drum section where I can't) when we had a moment, so I kind of borrowed the idea of quietish, then building then noisey, the bass solo just emerged one day,  and the Clapton-esque solo, well youre an axeman - one can't resist it sometimes, CPD gets bored - she says h no - not another '80's gtr solo - how predictable, it's in our blood, you understand, I know you do...

Really appreciate the Godley & Creme comparison - I'm certainly not worthy of that, all of 10cc were blinkin pioneers, so so talented.

Glad you liked it Davy.

@Neil C - Thanks for the listen - I'm afraid I don't know any Killers stuff - I'm pretty naieve when it comes to anything after 1990...I understand about the bass solo thing, it's not everyones bag, just felt sort of right to me...although it could work without it.

I do have a super hooky BVox and HVox line for the 'Killers' gtr part, but I resisted using it, since less is more.

As you know  Neil these genres are new to me the whole point of the 'Genre Jumping' crusade is to improve my production, and boy it's pretty difficult sometimes...anyway glad you liked it.

Bankie

• Busker
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 08:06:17 PM »
I really like the arrangement and it's an excellent song. Focusing on the one negative (sorry) I'm surprised no one has mentioned the mix - I feel the vocals are too loud and up front. If they were a bit wetter and pushed back a bit, I think I would have been able to enjoy all the instrumentation a bit more.

It was great apart from that though. Vocals are probably the hardest to nail so it's not a major criticism; just trying to be constructive.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
Hey cpm,

Cool song, but since you were compelled to tell their story in your post, I was looking for more of that story in the song than I got. It's a good song, but if your goal was to tell that story, I think there could be more conflict reflected in the music, which I found to be kind of mellow and groovy. The guitar solos are too safe for a guy who is angry and about to leave. The bass, too. I really loved the story, though.

Lynn

MonnoDB

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 07:08:02 PM »
Great backstory !! Cool bass solo! All well played (those hooks are, well, very hooky!) – really love this sound you’ve created.. lyrics great, sound and style right up my street.. All positive for me!