konalavadome

Lead Vocal Compressors CLA2A and CLA3A

• 15 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: July 22, 2019, 08:56:00 AM »
Many of you will know this anyway, but I never needed it before.

Currently working on a new song, and the Lead vocals have posed quite a problem for me, first it's a genre I've not done before (indie rock - part of the genre jumping suite), second the vocals are laid back but the instruments are quite rocky in parts, and held back in others.

I tried all sorts of compressors to get the sound right in all parts (Elysia, Klanghelm, Waves, brainworx, Magix, ACME, Izotope - love the Nectar elements - solves most vocal issues), I ended up using the CLA2A AND the CLA3A, did a great job, part of the issue was also that I had more than my normal smattering of Soundtoys EchoBoy applied, which affected the upper mids and highs, (talk about a slippery eel..) the CLA2A was just too smooth on it's own...(btw...an 1176 was not how I wanted it to sound).

The EQ of the tracked stem was fine.

Anyway just wanted to share this.... using more than one compressor on LVox (incidentally, I used an ACME opto XLA3 AND the Magix AM munition on the drum buss - was just perfect for what I wanted - controlled smashed drums, with NO added saturation)

Anyone else have any really cool tips for LVox

Hope this helps,

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 08:38:55 AM »
....also I did try the old 'one compressor per aux buss' ploy...putting a different comp on a number of aux busses and whizzing a bit to each for the LVox track, but that's not how I wanted to approach it...too much processing on a pristine Vocal track.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 07:37:20 PM »
For lead vocals I tend to start with volume automation to get exactly the dynamics I want for the track

I can then use much less aggressive compression and focus on getting the tone/character of the compressor rather than pushing anything too hard
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 09:05:45 PM »
@Boydie - makes a lot of sense...I’ll try it...

I normally leave automation till the end, but that’s made me think of trying it, thanks man.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 10:09:56 PM »
@cowparsleyman

I would recommend the WAVES Vocal Rider

I usually do a pass with this (after setting it up how I want it for the track) to get an automation envelope. However, I always go through the envelope and make fine adjustments

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 08:33:20 AM »
@boydie - Have you seen Trackspacer? this does the same sort of thing as the Waves Vocal Rider, but just does it a different way, as it doesn't record an automation , it detects the source track's frequencies (usually the evrythingelse but the LVox submix submix buss) and the vocal track and keeps 'em apart, it's very clever, very effective and easy to use, but as you have the Waves product, you don't need this, I just found trackspacer easier.

Thanks Boydie.

Rich

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 08:16:09 AM »
@cowparsleyman

That sounds a completely different product?

The WAVES vocal rider simply emulates someone pushing the fader of the vocal track up and down to compensate for how loud/quiet the vocal is

Having the automatically created automation envelope is the key as you are then able to refine the vocal automation, which for me is probably one of the main ingredients for a “pro” sound

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 08:25:36 AM »
@Boydie - yes, you’re right... trackspacer just separates the conflicting frequencies, it doesn’t do what vocal rider does.

I was thinking one thing and referencing another...my mix up, as it were. :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 07:21:25 PM »
As Boydie has already iterated..volume automation is the key, this is the first thing I do, also sidechaining a dynamic eq (with the vox as the trigger) to compress the mid-range of the mix a little creates some space for the vocal...
@cowparsleyman
@Boydie

cheers ..Kevin

forgot to mention ther compressor, the only one I ever use now on everything is the Klanghelm MJUC..cheap and awesome..
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:27:13 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 08:25:19 PM »
@shadowfax - cheers Kev, Funny I use my Waves Fairchild 670 for vari-mu compression, they are very imprssive ...  I do like to have a wide choice of weapons in my weapon box, and since i'm going through different genres, I.m finding that not all compressors can get the sound I want, and that even between the saem architecture there are many differences, and features that are reallt handy, such as the opto xla3 has marvellous 'pushing features, and can be used as an amp only, the FET 1176 emulations also have some significant differences, some have external SC, some don't some have M/S features, some are super aggresive.

Channel strip compressors are another avenue, the SSL collection from Waves are great but I seem to get the results from having a seperate plugin comp, don't know why...The TGI from them has a superb sound for '60's music.

Respect to you Kev for finding one that does it all, do you use the stereo version on the master buss, or don't you like to compress it at all. @boydie and I both use the Waves SSL buss comp, and I also use the brainworx townhouse compressor when it suits.

Kev, have you tried the DC8C master buss comp from klanghelm?

Rich

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 09:56:04 AM »
Hi Rich..the MJUC is three comp's in one and I just love what it does...and it's so versatile...so I use it everywhere comp is needed..
wish I knew about it before I bought the expensive stuff, same with verbs...Vallhala Vintage verb is as good (if not better) than all the expensive verbs I have, a 50 Dollar verb is my go to verb now... :)

regards, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 01:37:08 AM »
For lead vocals I tend to start with volume automation to get exactly the dynamics I want for the track

I can then use much less aggressive compression and focus on getting the tone/character of the compressor rather than pushing anything too hard

This is a great approach that I use and for the same reasons!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 06:54:59 AM »
@shadowfax - Thanks for the tip, I’ve started using MJUC and it’s really brilliant i love it.

@Bostonfan2 - i was getting all mixed up...Vocal rider is a super tool...

Rich

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 09:00:49 AM »
Did you get the free one or buy the bigger one?

@cowparsleyman
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 09:34:50 AM »
I've started off with the Free one, it does sound superb, I also tried the DC1A, and that's very sweet. You're right Kev, it does not depend on the cost, but I have noticed there are some that are subtle, transparent, others very aggressive, and I use them all since I'm dancing through different genres, it's honestly fascinating to see which ones I can use in which application.

Thanks again for the tip Kev

Rich