konalavadome

Others covering your songs?

• 4 Replies

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« on: July 17, 2019, 11:03:59 PM »
Hi guys.
I'm running an Open Mic at my local Bistro which has recently decided to go to having only original, or free to use songs. While I and others are happy with this, because as songwriters, we are no longer competing with the "kareoke" aspects of a normal open mic night, there are a few of the regulars that don't write their own material that are feeling a bit lost.
I kind of joked that I had loads of songs that they could sing, but my writing style doesn't really lend itself to the "younger" and the "show tune" performers. But this got me thinking.
If I was happy to have my songs covered by amateur performers for free, would anyone else? Or what would a reasonable fee be for the use of one of your songs in a live environment?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Martin
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 03:04:43 AM »
In the U.S. payment is handled by the PROs. As long as the venue is paying their licensing fees (and if they aren't, the PROs come after them) AND as long as each songwriters has signed up with a PRO, they will get paid. I suspect someone has to submit playlists to the PROs, so they know which songs have been performed.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 10:04:59 AM »
Yes, in the UK we have the PRS to do the same, however I license my work through Creative Commons and so it is free for others to use as long as it is attributed to me as the writer. The PRS is just an expense for the venue that is not required for my work to be performed by anyone. 8)
I understand that we'd all love to make a living writing songs, but for some of us it is just a hobby and it's to those people I'm reaching out.  :)
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 01:08:50 PM »
Any of your performers is welcome to use any of my songs.....if they really want to!
Just the fact that they wanted to would be enough for me.
I'd like to know if they do though.....and a video of the performance would give me a big kick!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 11:17:54 AM »
I say you should try caring less.
Let them do their Eddie vedder, Ed Sherman impersonations elsewhere.
They just don't meet the criteria of your particular venue.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly