Plectrum

• 6 Replies

Girlinside

« on: July 16, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »
Hi I’ve been watching and reading some stuff on the national guitar academy site which has been very helpful one of the things he says is that using the thumb to strum is a no no - I have been tending to use my thumb and finger nails - I got on ok with the plectrum but to be honest I didn’t like the sound it made in comparison with the wooden sound when using my fingers- should I carry on as I was or can you get plectrums that will make a sound that I prefer
Thanks Katie xxx

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 04:53:38 PM »
I use mostly fingers because I want that percussive and quiet sound when I play, so basically it really just depends on how you want to play. When I play more aggressive, I use a plectrum, around 0.7 mm, and if I use a plectrum to play more percussive/calm/acoustic style, I use a small plectrum of 1.0 mm.

So If you go to a music instrument store, they will probably have the plectrum you're looking for :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 09:04:04 PM »
Yo Katie.

Beware of those who speak in absolutes. There is no right or wrong between any variety of plectrum,or no plectrum at all. It's all a matter of preference.

Do what feel comfortable for you in the learning stage and worry about the details later.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 07:59:31 AM »
+1 for Skub

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 07:09:24 PM »

+2 for Skub, and as for not playing with your thumb, check out Jeff Beck

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 09:49:09 AM »
...My own preference is to keep my RH fingernails long, so I can fingerpick if I want, (but avoid washing up and open the car door with your left hand), you have to try plectrums and find what suits you, I have found thin record strummy songs better than thick but thick play better for solos.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 09:02:02 PM »
Damn it late in again,

yes defo, spot on guys, So many different methods, doesn't mark Knopfler play a hybrid setup, flat picking, thumb style, finger style.

Follow you own method Katie, whatever feels comfortable.