He's a Madman

• 12 Replies

Dom Hunt

• Busker
  • Find what you love,finding yourself will follow
« on: July 15, 2019, 10:18:27 PM »
Another punk song, Wanted to write something with a sex pistols kinda vibe, what do you think? Will be on my upcoming EP "Gig Night". There's another band I know this sounds a lot like but I cant put my finger on it.
https://soundcloud.com/dom-hunt-2/the-madman

Have you heard the crazy guy is home?
He's on the run maybe you’re not alone?
You’d better hide your wife and watch your back
For any second he may attack

He’s a madman! He’s gone crazy tonight
He’s a madman! He’s set the whole town alight
He’s a madman! And he’s smashed up the stage
He’s a madman, and he’s in a rage!

the newspapers say lock your doors
He might seem nice oh yes but he’s psycho
The people on the streets you hear them screaming in the night
Caught in the rain while they run for their lives

They say he speaks with politess and calm
While he causes you bodily harm
Don’t let him pull the wool over your eyes
For that’ll be the way that you die

(Middle bit)

(Guitar solo)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 10:22:25 PM by Dom Hunt »
Dcj Hunt

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 01:00:41 PM »
@Dom Hunt - Great song Dom, love the sound of the Jazzmaster (if that's what it is).

Maybe you give the LVox some bollocks, I don't know if you have a multi take feature on the DAW, but if you have set it up and gradually increase the balls in your delivery on each take, you may have to move a bit further away from the mic as you get more ballsy, then you could if you desire mix up the takes by 'comping' them, it might work?

For a mad punk song, Its nice to have a contrast twixt mad and sane, you may want to add some valve 'warmth' to certain parts, whizz em off centre, to add interest...

Anyway Dom, it's a good song, i'd love an out of tune solo, as if the madman himself picked up the axe and tried to play it, lots of feedback, real edgy man, make folks cringe...

Drums sound a little tame, could push 'em though a compressor, maybe an 1176 or a pushed opto...

Hope this help Man....

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 09:28:33 PM »
Yo Dom, good stuff again... Stooges feel...  Really like the snare rally in the middle and the on-the-edge "solo" at the end.  I like it (like your last one) for its rawness... don't polish it too hard. Had to comment as it's cool but NB gotta respect the 14 day posting rule dude before the next one (see the guidelines).
It's all too beautiful.

Dom Hunt

• Busker
  • Find what you love,finding yourself will follow
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 11:59:39 AM »
thanks for the feedback, I'm going to try and mix it again with the ideas youve suggested, Yeah its the jazz master, I can get a bizarre amount of different tones out of it, And yeah! Itd be fantastic with an off kilter solo at the end.
Apologies for that, Ill follow the rules from now on, thank you for reminding me.
Dom.
Dcj Hunt

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 04:44:32 PM »
I love your voice on this. Your approach reminds of a very old song--The Monster Mash. I like yours better, though. Deliciously dark and sort of grim, and yet a little amusing, while TMM was just silly.

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 01:06:30 AM »
That guitar sound is killer man and the panning to the left is spot on.

HappyDays

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 08:00:59 AM »
This was the first song I listened to since joining the forum. I can definitely hear the Sex Pistols influence, but I could really see the Rolling Stones singing this. My favourite part is when you sing "They say he speaks with politeness and calm, While he causes you bodily harm." I just think this a banger of a line, and I hope you keep writing more of this kind of stuff. I just love the theme, I think it really fits with the times that we live in and all the anxiety too.

I can't say much about production since I'm no prodigy, but all I can say is that my head was swaying and banging - so you're definitely doing something right!

Andyb

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 04:41:56 PM »
I would make a small suggestion to try a shouty screamy BV especially in the chorus an octave above and behind your main vocal - I think this would lift your vocal to the next level. Not a huge fan of the drums if I'm being brutally honest a more interesting pattern and a better snare tone (but others have commented they specifically like the drums so hey each to their own)  - pretty cool song though and some  killer lyric lines

Inanité_sonore

• Open Mic
    • Black Gift Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 09:18:35 PM »
Hi,
I really like the sound of the garage/punk guitar and the way it evolves. The slightly spoken and then more sung vocals work well, it's surprising after the angry introduction on the guitar but it's a pretty personal style.  I like the sound of your voice enough. The 3'24 break is a good idea but maybe the drums bearings should be improved. Otherwise, in terms of mixing, I find that the final solo on the right is not highlighted.
Great piece anyway.

IS
IS

My project "Black Gift" :
listen the album and buy CD & vinyl :
https://blackgift.bandcamp.com/releases

Listen :
https://soundcloud.com/black_gift/tracks

Inanité Sonore Records :
https://soundcloud.com/user-24297189

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »
Great guitar sound - reminded me a bit of Half Man Half Biscuit. Also love the line "They say he speaks with politess and calm/While he causes you bodily harm" - brilliant.

I'd also maybe like a bit more welly and sneery-ness in the vocals but that's a style thing and we all have our own.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 07:56:00 AM »
Very 1977 with that vintage punk riffing. But your punk poet vocal style is a lot more subtle than that of course, and relatively understated versus the instrumental snarl. Cool juxtaposition which I think works very well.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 10:24:50 AM »
Great guitars and good vibe...cool and fun lyrics too.

The vocal is perhaps a little too polite, I suppose...but no matter...i always feel like 99% of us are really producing demos anyway. You can’t write a punk song called “He’s a pussycat” can you?

Probably not my idea of punk, to be honest, but a very good listen nonetheless.

Well done!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 10:26:06 PM »
Hey Dom, this would have been an excellent Halloween comp song :) Reminds a bit of 'The Monster Mash' :o
I love the guitar and the context of the lyrics and the way you sing/speak them is a nice contrast to the punky guitar  8)
Totally enjoyed the listen :)