The Boiling Point

• 37 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 02:39:41 PM »

I'm curious as to what you found funny about the child speaking? Was it just the way I did voice, or was it what she was saying? :)

Hi @crystalsuzy, well the teacher comes along addressing the innocent child - and of course the kid turns out to be full of complex vocabulary and mature socio-political opinions, and that made me smile!  ;D

Well done! All the best - M
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Inanité_sonore

• Open Mic
    • Black Gift Bandcamp
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 09:06:34 PM »
Hi,
It's a very touching song and I like your sweet and fair voice. You feel that this subject is close to your heart. I really like the part where the voices speak, it's bold but it works. It may be a little long in my opinion and the recovery surprised me a little bit. I like the sound of the drums a little less. Apart from these details, it's a very good piece for me, it's very personal.

IS
IS

My project "Black Gift" :
listen the album and buy CD & vinyl :
https://blackgift.bandcamp.com/releases

Listen :
https://soundcloud.com/black_gift/tracks

Inanité Sonore Records :
https://soundcloud.com/user-24297189

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
Brilliant. Otherworldly and futuristic, but the future is now, isn't it? Pretty scary. Beautiful to listen to, too. Liked it very much.

thank you so much Lynn. All this stuff about climate change and all the other tumultuous stuff that's going on in the world right now, does seem otherworldly and somehow unreal, and yet here we are in the mist of it all and it is scary. I'm glad you found the song nice to listen to.

Wow, This is pretty nice, Never heard anything quite like it, complex and thoughtful. Well Done!
thanks for your kind words Dom...glad you liked it

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 01:51:31 PM »
...I also thought of using the following lines in the 3rd verse:

"One million species face extinction in unstable times
Environmental disasters are such a crime"

What do you, or anyone else think?...

I think those two lines would be stronger with fewer words. Like:

One million species face extinction
But no one seems to have jurisdiction

Just an idea....

Not that I'm any expert, or anything...it still seems a little wordy, though it's better. The "unstable times" feels unnecessary and maybe too obvious. And "such a crime" feels more, well, predictable and ordinary than what I'm expecting from you.

Maybe you could do something with "at the tipping point" and "held at gunpoint" or "cataclysmic event"....

Really, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about and it's already perfect. I can totally get carried away picking words apart. Well, not words, literally, but sentences. Phrases.... Anyway, I'm operating on too much stress and too little sleep, so keep that in mind.

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 08:54:35 PM »
Amazing track @crystalsuzy  about a strong theme! :) Loved the piano in this one! And the talking part is so clever :)

Cheers

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2019, 03:16:19 AM »
Hi Suzt

Really like this one.
Super lyrics and lots of interesting things going on.
Your vox are spot on too.
How did you get Elton to play on this?  :D :D

Enjoyed it!
Paul

PS - you could really make this take off at the end with a full orchestra, big drums etc etc. (or not!)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 02:34:05 PM »
Great opening line! And great concept spanning various boiling topics.

I'd keep the various lines with the "world" - or even move them all to be "earth" - I think there's power in keeping on returning to that key concept.

I could hear a acapella part maybe in the final verse - I think losing the piano altogether could also be a powerful moment...

A fine (and necessary) piece of work!

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 10:55:26 PM »
A question I have regarding the current Global warming thing is, given that we know the Earth warmed up and melted a lot of the ice around 14,000 years ago, ( when we were not there with our carbon emissions ) how do we know that the warming that is apparent now is our fault?

A question nobody seems to ask during TV discussions...
A valid question Kevin. Have you watched 'An Inconvenient Truth'? In that documentary they show a graph of climate patterns for as far back as they can go, that shows how drastically the earth has been warming for the last 70yrs or so. Never before has it spiked so quickly and so dramatically, so I think we humans are unfortunately, directly influencing global warming, IMHO.

@crystalsuzy - Hi Suze - great work, You have a style right of your own, that's so cool, such a lot of work in here, can''t think of anything to say production wise, just very clever stuff you do.

The way us Humans ravage our planet is pretty careless, but I'm as culpable as anyone else, I buy milk in plastic bottles, my car has petrol, I fly on kerosene powered planes, I buy a bed made in Vietnam, is it directly as a result of these things that Butterflies face extinction? or is it the same thing as someone who is comfortably off, not thinking too much on how wisely they spend their money, until one day it's all gone, then the focus sharpens...that is, there were lots of Rhinos once, now there ain't, so now some of us are concerned, some aren't.

Thanks Kevin. I appreciated your supportive comments.

I think we're all guilty of helping pollute the earth, but at the moment we don't have a whole lot of options to choose from. Yes we could all stop taking holidays, stop driving cars and and buying so much stuff, but then what would happen to the economy? We need to start from the bottom up to rebuild the way we live, but I have no idea what that looks or how we'd do it, but I'm sure it could be done if some of the big corporations would let go of their hold on us.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 02:41:50 AM »
Hi Suzy,

I like the 60s Summer of Love vibe this has in places.
Seems fitting with the lyrical content.
The breakdown adds a nice depth and contrast.

Thought provoking and well executed piece.

Digger
Thanks for your kind words Digger. "60s Summer of Love vibe"! I wish we could turn back time and start from the 60's all over again, knowing what we know now. Maybe we I wouldn't be writing songs like this.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2019, 11:28:46 PM »
As always, beautifully creative s- I’m always in awe how you navigate through different sections of your songs – this one moves through them very well I think.  I just LOVE the harmonies on this – they give such a rich sound. The message is great and timely and to be applauded…  Loved this CS!

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 11:30:19 AM »
Hahahahahahah! Polidicks!!! :-)
From Go! one can tell this is a Suzy song without a shadow of a doubt. You always have variations, twist and turns that one can never be sure where we a going next which is both a strength and weakness. A strength by the fact that there is tons to discover but also a "weakness" since it will requiring multiple listen to really get into it. I'd say the "strength" wins though. Quite a journey this, me like!

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2019, 03:11:54 PM »
Truly stunning display of talent here
Reminded me in parts of Frank Zappa.
Excellent work.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 10:22:14 AM »
Yo CS.

This one is very memorable,it gets it's hooks in right from the opening bars.

I love the way you work with your vocal harmonies,very you and very cool.  8)

thanks much-ly Skub. I'm going to take the "very you" as a compliment (although I get that a lot and sometimes I wonder) LOL!  I'm never sure about the vocals, so thanks for the kudos :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2019, 10:24:48 AM »

I'm curious as to what you found funny about the child speaking? Was it just the way I did voice, or was it what she was saying? :)

Hi @crystalsuzy, well the teacher comes along addressing the innocent child - and of course the kid turns out to be full of complex vocabulary and mature socio-political opinions, and that made me smile!  ;D

Well done! All the best - M
Thanks for clarifying that Michael. You're response was exactly what I was hoping for. :) 

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2019, 08:43:17 AM »
Hi Suzy, I listened to this ages ago and thought I'd posted but see I hadn't.  Another listen today.  I thought this was one of your best.  The cascade of overlapping "Boiling points" is really haunting and the melody there is very interesting. The melody throughout is very pretty actually. Overall I thought it had a kind of Joni Mitchell singer-songwriter feel (and the eco-consciousness of it draws parallels to her too).  Very nice piano.  Personally I wasn't so keen on the spoken Middle 8, interesting the first time you hear it but I thought it got in the way of the lovely music and melodies a bit on subsequent listens. I can see what you were going for with it though and others really dig it, so that's just me.  Clever wordplay in a lot of the lines too (my fave = politricks).  Great that the lyrics are both specific and vague too - e.g. they are very much about a certain issue, but not about a particular country or certain politician, so more people will be able to relate to them.  Nice one, hope you write some more like this.
It's all too beautiful.