Have you ever had a song placed with a publisher?

• 11 Replies

Mrs.Tobi

• Busker
« on: March 11, 2018, 07:41:37 PM »
Hello

Did you ever have a song commercially released and/or got a music publisher deal? How did you get it? Was it through song pitching companies websites (like Taxi)? Did you submitt to a music publisher and they offered you a deal? What’s happened afterwards?
Thank you so much

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 07:52:34 PM »
Not even in their dustbin   :D
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »
I've had one song placed with a publisher, but I don't think my experience is helpful. The publisher heard the song because I'm in this forum and asked to represent it.

Mike67

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 08:29:14 PM »
You can "publish" music yourself via companies such as Music Gateway.

Mrs.Tobi

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 07:48:01 PM »
Why not? What’s happened afterwards? That’s so nice!

I've had one song placed with a publisher, but I don't think my experience is helpful. The publisher heard the song because I'm in this forum and asked to represent it.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 08:52:07 PM »
It is nice to be published, as it looks good on my resume when I'm applying for grants. But otherwise, well, publishers have catalogs of tons of songs and when they are successful in pitching something somewhere, it's mostly likely someone else's. So it's a pleasant step, but it's still along shot to get placed. I hope my song will be placed someday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mrs.Tobi

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 02:47:08 PM »
Hi, CaliaMoko

Oh, I see. Getting a publishing deal is different than getting a song placed. My husband has a friend co-writer who also got a publishing deal but not a song placed. It’s a stepping stone. Did you specify a time frame for them to get the song placed?

It is nice to be published, as it looks good on my resume when I'm applying for grants. But otherwise, well, publishers have catalogs of tons of songs and when they are successful in pitching something somewhere, it's mostly likely someone else's. So it's a pleasant step, but it's still along shot to get placed. I hope my song will be placed someday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mrs.Tobi

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 02:48:34 PM »
Hi, Mike67

Thank you for sharing. Are you in MG? How is it going?
Best regards

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 08:48:07 PM »
Well...yes with Believe Digital, but it is distribution which is slightly different to publishing. They approached us finding us via Myspace I think. First contract was when they were somewhat smaller (near the beginning in fact I think).

Mrs.Tobi

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 09:00:23 PM »
Hi, Ramshackles

How different is it? How is it going?

Well...yes with Believe Digital, but it is distribution which is slightly different to publishing. They approached us finding us via Myspace I think. First contract was when they were somewhat smaller (near the beginning in fact I think).

Mike67

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 09:37:10 PM »
Hi, Mike67

Thank you for sharing. Are you in MG? How is it going?
Best regards

@Mrs.Tobi, Yes, we use MG. Good way to get onto Sootify, etc.

Mike

KamInnons

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 01:38:51 PM »
Thanks for the demos Will. I have so many demos that if I ever find the time to check them out Im sure that even Ill be able to learn a few new things.