konalavadome

SYNC LICENSING CONTRACT

• 2 Replies

devilhoned

• Busker
« on: July 02, 2019, 12:26:18 PM »
Hi

Got an online contact to sign from a company who license music to tv, film, ads, etc.  I`ve done my research, the company look okay, if a bit `quiet` recently. I know somebody on a site like this who sold to them, but that was several years ago. He sold it on my tip-off. They screen music before they activate the account, and their representative has definitely listened to my Soundcloud music. There is no upfront fee, and it`s a 50/50 split. What else should I look out for in a sync licensing contract?

Baz

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 10:22:13 AM »
I would avoid exclusivity clauses. If these people do nothing with your music, but then another offer comes along you could be stuck.

It would also be good to have a clause which gives you right to agree where the placement is going - so that your music does not end up being featured somewhere you really wouldn't want it.

Cheers
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 11:43:03 AM »
Michael,

Thanks for that,I am concerned about exclusivity, so looking out for that but I doubt I have the power to control where the placements are used, I`ll look out for that clause, it`ll probably be worded as specific placements only (I guess tv and film) but I don`t see any `morality` clauses--`do not use my songs for anything pro-Trump` for example.

Baz