New start

• 6 Replies

Girlinside

« on: June 24, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »
I’ve been up and down like a yo yo lately and being honest I’ve been on sites that I probably shouldn’t have looking for something that most probably isn’t the answer - my guitar practicing  and writing lyrics is one of the things that keeps me going / I’m never going to be as good as you guys are . I can’t read music , don’t understand keys or scales but I have feelings and a heart and I like to think that’s the main thing .
Life can be pretty tough at times- all I’m really saying I think is that I’m gonna try and put more time into the forum listening to other people’s work which they’ve taken the time to post and responding even if it is just a few words .
I’ve hundreds of lyrics and stuff but I’m gonna try and see things through rather than asking others I’ll record it the best I can and hopefully get better.
Thank you love Katie ❤️X
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:11:02 AM by Girlinside »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 01:33:53 PM »
I can't read music, have no idea about scales (unless there on a fish) and never know what key a song is in..so that's 3 things you can stop worrying about... :) :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Girlinside

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 05:06:47 PM »
Thanks shadow x

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 06:34:41 PM »
I started playing music cause it was fun and that I had a lot on my mind, and music gave me a chance to express myself. I play a little piano, but I can't read notes and have no idea on how to play from a music sheet, and reading tabs I learned after at least 4-5 years of playing guitar. Just in recent years, I have learned to understand keys and scales. Still, I need a cheat sheet to remember which chords are in what key, and I have no chance of remembering the scale of what key. But i'm still learning something new about music and playing every day, and that is what I love about music; you'll never get too old to learn! :) Just keep on writing and have fun with what you do :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 10:36:16 PM »
Yo Katie.

Music can be whatever you need it to be and thankfully plenty of people still approach the subject in novel ways.

While you contemplate what exactly you want from music,look upon the positives you already have. Many songwriters struggle with lyrical content and to be honest,if one doesn't have a flair for words,then it's mostly mining the banal and using whatever fits. You,on the other hand,have a natural gift for verse,so that's just something which happens naturally and right off that's a head start.

You have had quite a few collaborations with folk on this forum and the tracks have all turned out well. That's the proof of the pudding.

I have had no formal music lessons,but the years have given me ways to understand how songs are constructed,so I have enough knowledge just to be dangerous!  ;D

Never turn up your nose at any opportunity to learn music theory,all information is useful and all tools for the job. You don't need to be able to read notation to know some useable music theory.

Look at what you do have Katie,and where you are now,then decide where you wish to go.

Above all,keep it fun and enjoyable.

Girlinside

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 08:57:18 AM »
Thanks @skub
I have a renewed enthusiasm to get involved / I could write 10 songs a day ( don’t know if they’d be any good though lol x

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 11:45:49 AM »
@Girlinside - Katie, Hendrix couldn't read a note, he could play like no one before him, it was his passion for the instrument that was his driver. Don't think what you can't do, believe in yourself, if you take a tiny tiny thing like 1 chord, learn it till you can't get it wrong, then learn another, and in no time you'll be there, you only need 3 chords (ask Status Quo)

Reading the dots on a guitar is really, really hard, much more so than a piano or drums...so don't bother, just play, and enjoy.

Passion for the instrument is the key Katie, you CAN do it, I'll never forget 'Where are going Stranger'