Can't find a good place to practice/record

• 8 Replies

Killjoy

• Busker
« on: June 20, 2019, 12:39:18 PM »
This is one of those frustrating things that I'm sure most musicians undoubtebly face st some point. I play piano and sing and my biggest obstace to going full om with recoeidng my album is that I don't have the most suitable facilities. I live in a shared house and there is almost ALWAYS other people in the house, this means that A: there is unwanted noise whilst I wish to record, and B: my window of practice time is very small as I don't want to annoy the other tenants. I also can't seem to get anywhere near my level of vocals that I produce when home alone, like other people beong around prohibits me from exerting my full voice.

If I played guitar instead, then it would be easier as I could take my guitar and practice in a chosen private area somewhere...but my piano is big and stationary so I only have this sspace. My university campus does have music rooms with pianos in them, but there is so much surrounding noise from other people practicing and also I really don't like the way the pianos sound there.

Are there any solutions to this type of situation? Or am I just stuck with only being able to go full on on the rare occassion that I have the house to myself?

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 01:35:22 PM »
Does the university have a recital hall that is sometimes idle and that they would consider letting you reserve for specific periods of time?

Killjoy

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 03:04:12 PM »
I'm honestly not too sure, but I could find out. I'd imagine that they would just tell me to use the practice facilities though.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 03:26:42 PM »
I would try going to the music office or dean or director or whatever/whoever you think might have some authority, explain your dilemma, and ask if there is a possibility the music department could help you solve it. I think such a person would understand the noisy environment of the practice room area won't work for recording. And, where I live, there's a nice grand piano in the recital hall.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 03:52:54 PM »
Hmmm, there are a few workarounds here, one is to do everything in the box, that is use VSTs of pianos etc. but plonking out MIDI notes for a pianist aint no fun at all.

Do you have a MIDI keyboard, it would at least enable you to practice with cans on, make some progress towards getting your album ready to track, and then you might not need so long.

Even if the rehearsal room were empty you'd have to spend quite a while getting the mics placed just right, (mic'ing up a Grand can be quite fiddly)

Anyway, not much help really, let me know what you manage to sort out...Which Uni is it? and what are you reading?

Best of luck with your results...

Another way is to get the musicians that are in the rehearsal room to practice your  album, unlikely but worth a punt, or join a society that might make this possible.

Dogmax

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 09:50:43 PM »
Post what you have recorded can't be all that bad, sometimes the outside brings a reality feel to it but hey  8)  you won't know that until you listen back

Killjoy

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 05:12:03 AM »
Post what you have recorded can't be all that bad, sometimes the outside brings a reality feel to it but hey  8)  you won't know that until you listen back

Sure, this is the only one I have managed to record to a decent standard so far
. I have 7 others that I intend to record but as I said it's a real pain finding the right time and setting to do it.

Killjoy

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 05:14:02 AM »
I would try going to the music office or dean or director or whatever/whoever you think might have some authority, explain your dilemma, and ask if there is a possibility the music department could help you solve it. I think such a person would understand the noisy environment of the practice room area won't work for recording. And, where I live, there's a nice grand piano in the recital hall.

Could be worth a try. I know there are actual recording studios in the music department but as far as J know they are only available for use by music students, which I am not.

Killjoy

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 05:23:35 AM »
Hmmm, there are a few workarounds here, one is to do everything in the box, that is use VSTs of pianos etc. but plonking out MIDI notes for a pianist aint no fun at all.

Do you have a MIDI keyboard, it would at least enable you to practice with cans on, make some progress towards getting your album ready to track, and then you might not need so long.

Even if the rehearsal room were empty you'd have to spend quite a while getting the mics placed just right, (mic'ing up a Grand can be quite fiddly)

Anyway, not much help really, let me know what you manage to sort out...Which Uni is it? and what are you reading?

Best of luck with your results...

Another way is to get the musicians that are in the rehearsal room to practice your  album, unlikely but worth a punt, or join a society that might make this possible.

Yea I have a MIDI keyboard but honestly I absolutely hate using VST's. I'm at UEA reading Psychology and plan to get into forensic Psychology through it. I really would rather not record in the music rooms anyway as I don't like the pianos they have in there, but it is a good place to practice. Recording is the tricky bit as I can only do it at home where there are people about. I wish I didn't have so much caution when it comes to playing at home, but I just can't perform to my full capacity when I know othee people can hear it, and not through their choice.