Songwriter Forum > Recording

Studio speakers

<< < (2/3) > >>

Boydie:
The only thing I would add to the excellent responses so far is just be mindful of how close you place the speakers to the wall - there is usually a sweet spot of how near the back of the speaker should be to the wall

I also a big fan of using good headphones

There are also methods to get a real world speaker emulation - eg VRM Box and Waves NX - so the best of both worlds

Skub:
Thank you @Boydie and @shadowfax,as ever this little corner of the webz is always informative and helpful.   8)

cowparsleyman:
@Boydie - have you any experience of using such a simulation system such as NX?

Boydie:
@cowparsleyman

Not the NX but most definitely the VRM box

I am devastated that this is discontinued, and doesn’t work on USB 3, so it is only a matter of time until I need to retire it - but it is just soooooooooo good for evaluating mixes as it can simulate a lot of different listening environments

The key to using it is not to expect the simulations to be “accurate” for the areas (eg a certain speaker in a pro studio, hifi system in a bedroom, tv speakers in a living room etc. but the different flavours definitely do give a good feel for how a mix will translate to different systems

cowparsleyman:
@Boydie - I rememebr there was thread about this some while ago, and on the back of that I downloaded the free BeyerDynamic plugin that does the same, which I rarely use since my workflow is pretty established now, interesting anyway. I might look at NX one day, just out of curiosity.

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version