konalavadome

Is it necessary to have a few Plugins that do the same thing?

• 8 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: October 12, 2019, 10:24:00 PM »
I often wondered about this, Is it justified or necessary to have an selection of plugins that do the same thing? It's all too easy to be sucked into the 'one off' sales and 24hr never-to-be-repeated offer for this channel strip or that Reverb.

Tell me what you think? do you have 10 Reverbs, or 6 channel strips? more Mastering EQ's or compressors than you'll ever use...

Are there some you tried but never use because you tried them but  don't like the way they sound, but are happy to have tried them.

Are there some you can't make head nor tail of, and they have more knobs than you know what to to do with? and you don't have a clue what some of them mean?

Are there some that you definately like but know they are so niche that you can only use them in certain situations.

Are there some that you use and love but you don't know why they sound so good, but always use it, your goto xxxx or yyyy plugin.

Just interested that's all...

Rich

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 06:20:13 PM »
Hi Rich,
I have just signed up to the Steven Slate erverything bundle, 14 bucks a month.

But, Yeh, as I scan facebook I often wonder, why do some many companies offer the same types of plugins. How many reverbs, delays etc do you really need.
I guess my answer is, find one you like and run with it. As I am subscribed to the slate stuff now I am really digging deep on how to use it, and I reckon getting better results, mix wise. Also As a lot of them are old skool knobs, they make you mix using your ears and learn problem freqs etc, the acedamy that comes with it has taught me a lot too,

One thing I have learnt, each individual has ther own style and sound so I dont care if anyone thinks I am doing it right or wrong, as long as you get good results.

Happy days Rich

Cheers
Andy

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 08:29:48 AM »
For what it’s worth (I've been asked a few times what plugins I use), I have a few of each and I’m very happy to have them all, very often one doesn’t do it for me and another does, and very often I use more than one of the same category, especially with dynamics, 2 or 3 compressors at the same time, or routed to 3 different aux busses at different amounts.

I used to be an advocate for Waves, on the plus side they do sound exceptionally good for certain things, unfortunately some are cpu hungry (mostly to power the graphics), it's also been fashionable to 'dis' their stuff.

I now use mostly plugin alliance products, they are of a really high quality and not that cpu hungry,  but I would recommend trying before buying as there are some that are very subtle (one needs to know why they are, and then it's clear..) or do the same as others in their range. the bx_digital v3 is pretty handy, the ACME XLA3 compressor is a killer on drums, and the Townhouse buss comp has replaced previously my goto Waves SSL master buss comp (which is very very good indeed as well), recently I discovered the Noveltech Vocal enhancer, for quick LVox it sure is good, although must be used sparingly.

The best from waves in my experience is the L3 maximiser, use it on the master buss and boy it really makes a difference, also renaissance bass is highly recommended, as well as the CLA2 for Vox.

I also take an occasional punt in plugin boutique soundspot are rather surprisingly good for the discounted price, I can thorough recommend Velo2 limiter and Ravage distortion, they were on offer under a tenner.

For FX I use the Soundtoys suite, I use something from it on every track, EchoBoy, Microshift, Decaptitator, LittlePlate....aaaahhh just love what they can do.

I use a few Verb's Eventide blackhole for monstrous huge ones, and Eventide TVerb is really useful to do things that are difficult with other verbs,  Lexicon MPX Native for Drums (along with the superb Waves Abbey Road Chambers & Plates)..plus a few more...

So much of what I do has only a whiff of any of the above, less is more, you wouldn't notice it really but as a whole it makes a huge difference.

Of course you might not like any of these.

I noticed that the major players are moving to the subscription model, but this doesn't suit my approach.

One more thing (as Columbo would say) some plugins are free and sound FANTASTIC, like the Klanghelm compressors, those SoundSpot ones are also phenomenal for 8.95. keep an eye out for deals, there are very good discounts in EveryPugin.com (for Waves products) PluginAlliance.com and PluginBoutique.com, never pay full wallop for a plugin..

Hope this helps

Rich

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 11:40:26 AM by cowparsleyman »

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »
Hi Rich

You have a lot of plugs, I am trying to thin mine out, a lot of the sound the same anyway IMHO, but i did spend most of the 80's and 90's in clubs so I supspect my hearing isnt top notch anyway. Also couple that along with being 50 now, its all wearing a bit.

I have been trying to settle out for my favs and really get to know them, I like the Schepps omni channel, thats a good alrounder.

The slate has a distressor emu, that great on drums and guitars etc.

Vocals for me are as follow, Slates pre amps and console emu, 76 style comp, EQ usually ssl or neve style then smooth out with a la2a style comp, (401 on the Slate)

But still use the Cubase pro stock plugs as some of them are quite cool.

Been watchin Chris lord Alge mix drums, hes taught me a whole new approach, much better sound than I was getting before.

Also my Mac pro finally died so now have a spanking new i9 setup specced up for audio so I can hammer the cpu to an inch of its life.

Good times

I guess as long as you get a nice mix, it doesnt matter how you get there.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 08:34:38 PM »
I've gone and bought far too many plugins in the past but have finally landed on the Softube tube tech classic channel on every track, the Klanghelm MJUC compressor which replaces the tube tech compressor which I switch off, ( it's 3 compressors in one ) Waves J37 for delay, Exponential audio R4 for verb, Waves Sibilance for deessing and that's it!!! haven't even loaded the other plugs onto my new puter yet and don't intend to...great to keep it simple :) mastering is done with Ozone 8.... 8)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 08:05:44 AM »
For me the analogy is “you gotta kiss a lot of frogs until you find a Prince”

I have a gazillion plugins from most of the key brands and I seem to split my workflow in to 2 distinct approaches

1 - My “Go To” Plug-ins
These are the ones that I tend to use on most mixes - I know them inside out and how to get exactly the sound I want really quickly. This covered most bases: Fabfilter Pro-Q, Waves SSL channel strip, a range of around 3 different compressors, the Waves SSL bus compressor, and then around different 6 EQs and 2 different delays all set up and ready to go in my project template. This covers almost every scenario for mixing

I then have my preferred mastering plugins (Ozone EQ, exciter, multiband compression, stereo widening, Tape simulation, final mastering EQ and limiter)

I don’t use all of the above all of the time as every mix is different - but if I had a setup with just these plugins (around 15) I would be very happy and could produce consistent  professional results

If I try another plugin that I think could become one of my “base” plugins it will usually be included as a trial and then “natural selection” will determine whether it replaces one of my usual ones and becomes a new “go to”

2 - Experiment
Mixing an producing still has to be FUN and inspiring - so on most mixes I will search for one or two “out there” effects to add a little spice to a mix. They will usually either be really subtle or used as a key feature of the track - eg quirky modulation or extreme filtering

I find this approach allows me to work efficiently and get predictable/consistently good results but I still leave lots of room for experimentation and inspiration
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 12:18:33 PM »
@Boydie - Again, very interesting, I totally agree with your Frog analogy.

Yeah I do have my goto plugs, that as you imply, earn their keep, I've only heard good things about Fab Filters products. One thing I didn't mention that LVox are made a shed load easier since I bought a real valve pre last year...it wasn't megabucks but it does sprinkle some fairy dust over it, that the regular pre doesn't seem to have. (being a valve, it just started to hum like hell last week!)

AS to your point 2 - Again Spot on man...I've recently bought some more experimental plugs that perhaps I didn't need, but each month Plugin Alliance sends me a money off voucher, so I feel obliged to try out something, at first listen, some are on the brink on unusable, but that's just what I need sometimes, to fire me up with ideas...products such as unfiltered audio Dent, Fault etc. really weird, but will bring something mostly to EDM songs and the more radical end of the spectrum potentially Glitch, Trap, Speedcore etc...and it might suit for the more lateral thinking members here such as Crystal Suzy and Rightly

What tape emulation do you use?

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 09:13:51 PM »
HI guys.

I suppose if you careat your own type of music and the style is very similar, a bit like ours then you can go for a template setup but if you mix a lot of other peeps music then you will run into lots of genres. I can see that you would need to approach them a little differently with different plug in choices.

Most of ours is guitar style indie Rock so I kind of know where the path so to speak.
Recently I mixed some live sets taken from the back of my mates bands mixer from a gig. Loads of bleed, room tone etc...totally different approach need for that, they sounded live but a lot better when done.

Anyway I need to get out more.

Cheers

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 12:50:32 PM »
@Cawproductions - Yeah your'e right it would be a shed load easier if I dug a narrower furrow, templates would be cool (I do have a few setup for the more tedious tasks like routing individual outs from the kit, and some VST's that have bonkers amounts of outs, like Independence)

Must have been interesting mixing a live set, never did that, only been on the other end often not being able to hear myself, then that merry dance begins where the drummer plays louder, the bassist turns up his amp, then the sound engineer keeps gesturing to the band to turn down, then nobody can hear anything...aaaaargh...vocalists start singing off beam, to be fair most engineers I've worked with were pretty good.

Respect to you man, for taking on that slippery eel.