konalavadome

Michigan

• 8 Replies

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« on: June 18, 2019, 08:17:09 PM »
Finally, I'm back with a new song that I'm proud to present to you. Currently, I'm working on my debut EP #Confessions, with a couple of talented songwriters that have been helping me out a lot. This one on the other side is all on me, and maybe a little "not-kinda-what-i-usually-write". But the more I play this song, the more I love it, and I can't wait to play it live. Still not sure if it will be included on the EP, or if I will release it as a separate single instead.

The lyrics came fast to me, but I wasn't sure what it was all about until the chorus came. A good friend of mine I used to write with said: "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story". Well, you can say everything is true, but it is my feelings, combined with dreams and hopes.

A short back story on the lyrics would be as following; I met a girl at college that was an exchange student from the USA, then we had a short relationship for 5 months, and then we left to our own city. Me in Norway, and she in the USA (Michigan). 7 months ago we connected over the internet again and hit it off, and last week I almost told her that I loved her, and I panicked completely. It resulted in this song, which is about finding yourself and leaving something that is comfortable for you. Well, the text may not make sense to anybody else than me. But it came from the heart and my heart doesn't always make sense :p

I packed my bags, setting out on a new adventure
I’m leaving town, heading south across the border
I don’t wanna go back to the same old town again
I don’t wanna go back to the same old boring life

And I-i-i-i-I’m calling you from Michigan
And I-i-i-i-I’m not coming home again
There’s a girl, there’s a girl, waiting for me over there
And i-i-i-i-I I found my home another place
In Michigan

I’ll see you around when I get home someday
I’ll be at the place where you and me used to hide away
Back when we were kids, do you remember when
We were playing in the yard, we were so young back then

And I-i-i-i-I Calling you from Michigan
In Michigan

We were just kids way back then
The sun was burning I still remember when
We snuck out late hiding in the bushes at summertime
We almost got caught, still remember those eyes

And I-i-i-i-I Calling you from Michigan
In Michigan
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 07:05:30 PM by Younger Hills »

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 07:06:35 PM »
<edit> New version is up on Soundcloud :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 10:18:02 PM »
Very nice chorus mate. I liked the stripped back restrained feel too, but I think I’d make it shorter if you don’t want to add more of a build. Or if you want to keep it at 5 mins, add some more elements in the later verses (I can certainly imagine this ‘exploding’ around the third verse... bigger drums and guitars etc).  The lyrics worked for me... ‘calling you from Michigan’ somehow evokes a lot... instantly makes me imagine the long distance relationship; I don’t know much about the US states but I have an image of it being a wide open quite lonely place, so that added to the atmosphere for me.
It's all too beautiful.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 10:41:07 PM »
Interesting and quirky :)
Like Paul 1, I liked the chorus.  ;D ;D
TBH I couldn't really discern a melody in in the verses.
Probably because there's not a lot of chord structure in the backing there.
Lyrics are intriguing - yeah Michigan does that - who would'a thought?  ;D ;D
Paul 2

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 04:04:42 PM »
@PaulyX @Paulski Thank you Paul 1 and 2 :)

The 3rd verse is more like a bridge, but it can be both really, just that I change the chord progression up a little. Tried playing it just now, and added more hard strums on the last two lines in the 3rd verse + the chorus, before I went back to the calm acoustic feeling on the last chorus again, so I will try and record it again and see how it will sound. And I will see if I can get the drums bigger on that part as well.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 10:47:55 PM »
Hi mate, I loved hearing the back story on this and great job writing from the heart. (& good luck with this situation!😉👍🏻) as for the song...it has potential...i do feel imho that it needs a bit more tic 😊. I like the chorus but would suggest writing a better melody for your verses as i really couldnt discern one. I also struggled with the style and timing of the drums. Might just be me, or that they're so sparce, but I'd check the quantise on them just to be sure. What do your songwriter friends think?

Also thought it was a minute too long.

Sorry mate. Just trying to help. Gotta say what I felt. Thanks for posting it.😁🎶👊🏻🎶

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 08:22:57 AM »
Hi..lots of potential, evocative lyrics, needs a bit more dynamics to keep it interesting at this length... :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 09:32:11 AM »
It does sound heartfelt
And it's dfficult to follow the melody in the lyrics 
I've mixed feelings about it to be honest   
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Girlinside

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 09:43:25 AM »
Very personal to you - quite difficult to follow but tantalising bit long for a song but it’s rawness is probably its quality - very heartfelt- never gonna be a pop song but that’s not the point it works for you