Placing A Christmas Song

• 5 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: June 13, 2019, 01:30:06 PM »
Hi folks, I have to say there's a distinct lack of drinks in this 'Bar'!

Never mind...point of posting, well last autumn I wrote a Christmas love song which has gone down very well with most listeners who've commented, although the song never appeared on this forum.

Its style is quite unlike my current stuff, not 'quirky' at all, but at the same time maybe has more commercial appeal. I would like to try and place it with a publisher with a view to a younger and hopefully popular artist recording it as a Christmas single. Maybe this is the time to pitch. I have tried emailing a few publishers, but never even get a reply.

Has anyone on here had any success placing a song, or at least know in theory how it is done? I've read about Taxi and the likes, but not convinced of their success rate from reviews. I am sure it helps if you have industry connections, but sadly I draw a blank there.

Most of the time I am just happy creating songs every few weeks as a hobby, with no particular strategy for getting a wider audience. But I think it would be good to get something enjoying a bit of success for once, and this is the song I want to try it with.

The song is here, by the way - and is called 'Two Hearts In The Snow'.

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/two-hearts-in-the-snow

Any tips gladly welcomed, plus I am sure would be appreciated by other members on here too. :)

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 02:44:02 AM »
I signed up for Taxi a few years ago and tried it for a year.
Not impressed! It's like $300 a year plus $5 bucks a song submission.

Songtradr seems much better - I've got a couple songs published there on compilation albums and made all of $8.88 ! It costs only 5 bucks a month and they give you enough "credits" to submit to as many opps as you want. I've been shortlisted a few times and got selected for final cut a couple as well.  They don't have a lot of opps but christmas comes up every few months so that might be a place to try.

I'll have a listen to your song later - good luck with it!

Paul

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 08:07:21 AM »
I am afraid I don't know the answer to your question - but I listened to your song. I hope you don't mind me being honest - what is wrong with the piano sound? It sounds like notes go way out of key. Like a the mod wheel is being pulled and dragging notes out. Is it just me? At about 0.13, just before "a shroud of snow..." again at 0.24...

Sorry Michael, it put me off!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 10:27:42 AM »
Hi @Paulski , I've now looked at a few reviews of SongTradr and it seems to be legit. I've read that it is popular with smaller video producers, for example,  who need music for things like social media these days, but don't have a large budget. I will give it a go!  ;) Thanks for that.

Hi Bill, @Bill Saunders , thanks for your frank view of the piano effect. It is a tape delay effect, as I was trying to get a bit of an old fashioned vinyl record sound. Seemed like a good idea at the time!  ;D But seeing as you are not the first person to find it distracting I have now removed that effect and put a cleaner piano sound there instead. Useful feedback, thanks.

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:08:14 PM »
Hi @MichaelA

We are on Songtradr and have done quite well, we have several blanket licenses, and recently had a track bought by Toyota for and ad, we haven't made a fortune but it is the best place we have found for getting tracks placed, as @Paulski said, it costs $4.99 per month, but that includes distribution to Spotify, iTunes etc. You do have to put in a bit of time to make the most of it, you need to check the deals every day to see if there are any you can submit to

Cheers, Mikey

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 10:02:54 PM »
Thanks @Mikey , you've convinced me to give SongTradr a go. That's great news about your Toyota placement, global brand and all, fantastic!

Cheers for the reply and advice  ;D