4Below - Son of a gun

• 15 Replies

Andyb

« on: June 10, 2019, 03:54:56 PM »
Here's my new track folks - I'm going to be honest I don't think it's the best song I have ever written but it was a bit of fun and has a cool outro
lyrically there are a fair few swear words in it so if that's not your thing then best avoided. Again all done with my bass as usual.
Lyrics are in the video

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 10:09:03 PM »
I really really like this one!  The fuzzy, clipped bass playing is top notch... it's a bit more indie to my ears than some of your stuff, and I like that a lot!  Fans of Muse or QOTSA or Royal Blood would like this I think.  The "Hey" samples are great too and I love the way the rhythm kind of falters under the parts where you say "Son of a gun is my battlecry".  Super step up in tempo towards the end too.  I would question your judgment that it might not be your best song... I think it is right up there.
It's all too beautiful.

Dogmax

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 10:42:48 PM »
It this all your own work if so really great but hey man i'm a bit disappointed, i had imagery of a great band on stage also i guess that with your video (didn't read your intro) your video for me does nothing for your song throw up some live bands that this song connects too mute them and add your song, cool rock man really great  8)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 10:51:51 PM »
I listened to this while at work today, so I didn't watch the video, but I really liked it a lot. Excellent bass. Love your voice. Lyrics sounded great, except son of a gun seemed a little tame compared to some of the other words. But that's a totally minor knit picky thing. It's a great song.

Andyb

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »
I really really like this one!  The fuzzy, clipped bass playing is top notch... it's a bit more indie to my ears than some of your stuff, and I like that a lot!  Fans of Muse or QOTSA or Royal Blood would like this I think.  The "Hey" samples are great too and I love the way the rhythm kind of falters under the parts where you say "Son of a gun is my battlecry".  Super step up in tempo towards the end too.  I would question your judgment that it might not be your best song... I think it is right up there.
Thanks for the kind words man... the song is growing on me lol

Andyb

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 08:32:28 AM »
It this all your own work if so really great but hey man i'm a bit disappointed, i had imagery of a great band on stage also i guess that with your video (didn't read your intro) your video for me does nothing for your song throw up some live bands that this song connects too mute them and add your song, cool rock man really great  8)
Yep it's all my own work, it's pretty much a bass and a laptop - I can call in a band on the rare occasion I actually get the opportunity to play live due to lack of outlets for original music in my home town - Don't let the video distract you its just some stock footage and the lyrics added in movie maker it's just a way of getting my tracks on to youtube. Ive used slow mo vid of the band playing in some of my other tracks but I try and make them all a bit different. I would love to have the time, money and skills to create some official videos though I always have an idea for every song in my head

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »
Yes. Really like the video
The drums, arrangement, musicianship, it's all there
A lot to like.
Well done.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 07:27:02 PM »
@Andyb - Nice work Andy, i'm more than intruiged with why you do everything on the bass?  Great vocals, and timing, I agree with @redrhodie - The lyrics could be less conventional.

I just have this vision of you doing everything on you bass, it's kind of mesmorising, anyway good song and well delivered.

Andyb

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 08:13:50 PM »
@Andyb - Nice work Andy, i'm more than intruiged with why you do everything on the bass?  Great vocals, and timing, I agree with @redrhodie - The lyrics could be less conventional.

I just have this vision of you doing everything on you bass, it's kind of mesmorising, anyway good song and well delivered.

I guess I do it on bass mainly as that's my first instrument and also after my last band disbanded I didn't want to stop writing that big rock band style of music. I wanted to do something a bit different than be another solo songwriter with acoustic guitar. As long as I can keep pushing the sounds and "shapes" I can get from my bass amp and pedals then I'll keep doing it. I run 3 amps (sometimes 4) live all producing different tones and switch between them to create dynamics. I'm still very much learning how to do.it live though, original music gigs in my neck of the woods are few and far between sadly. As far as the lyrics go if I'm being brutally honest they were chucked on a page in a matter of minutes they just seemed to fit the music rythmically speaking not exactly poetry lol

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 09:52:53 PM »
@Andyb - interesting man, wonder how the acoustic would sound with the processing that you give the bass...maybe some contrast there...

The lyrics belied that andy...

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 02:10:18 PM »
I really love the song, I really love the production and it's something I would listen to again and again except that I really don't like your spoken accent coming through. It's not the actual accent I don't like (sounds like I'm from a place not far from you) - it's just that I don't think it suits this type of music. Just a personal thing though; I realise there are other mega-popular bands it has worked for.

Andyb

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 06:37:36 PM »
I really love the song, I really love the production and it's something I would listen to again and again except that I really don't like your spoken accent coming through. It's not the actual accent I don't like (sounds like I'm from a place not far from you) - it's just that I don't think it suits this type of music. Just a personal thing though; I realise there are other mega-popular bands it has worked for.

Totally respect your honesty but my accent is my accent I wouldn't want to affect some neutral fake accent ... I've spent years in cover band's trying to get away from that. I come from a wee town on the north west of Scotland a long way from anywhere interesting lol and in the past people have ripped me for not singing in my spoken accent in fact someone went as far to say on one of my recent tracks I sound American !
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:39:49 PM by Andyb »

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 07:41:10 PM »
Very slick, to be expected - love the sound you make as always, can't believe you do all that with the bass.. I love hearing your accent peep through actually, of course coming from someone who can only sing in her own accent, that might not be surprising..

Thumbs up from me @Andyb 

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 08:20:22 AM »
I'm with Karen, Yeah I love that accent...

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 10:15:00 AM »
Very convincing stuff, rocks but in a nice edgy way. Got a Queens of the Stone Age vibe about it. Production is really nice, super crisp.
Felt in the middle 8 section you could have properly gone down to a half beat and that would have been really effective, but it only suggests it a bit.
Outro is ace, and came at just the right time, not giving us time to tire of what was there before.
Stella work! :)