Songwriter Forum > Feedback on Finished songs

Dad (Father's Day song)

(1/4) > >>

Paulski:
Well, it's a posthumous fathers day song - hope it's not too sad!

https://soundcloud.com/paulcanuck/dad

Dad

Time is to blame for us papering over the past
But a song is a way we can make those old memories last
I've written a ballad or two
Nothing too sad or too blue
But I'm ready to write this for you,
Dad

Sometimes the mirror plays games with the image I see
Blurring the lines on the face looking back at me
For a wonderful moment in time
I'm a boy looking into your eyes
Too bad that it's all in my mind
Dad

Too bad
So sad
Dad

Six little faces watching
Six little faces wondering
Six little faces learning
What to do
From you

I remember the day you were taken away from my life
I just lay there in bed with my hands on my head, and cried
It's too bad you can't be here to see
What became of your family tree
But I think you'd be proud, like me
Dad

Too bad
So sad
But I'm glad
We had you
Dad

Andreas:
This was beautiful and heartbreaking to both read and listen to. A beautiful piano melody that captures every emotion of the song and the lyrics is fabulous. You had some really good and creative rhyming that worked perfectly.

Beautiful @Paulski! :)

Dogmax:
That was a wonderful song to listen to Paul and you end it just the right way, no repeat verse or lines just press play again which i will.

Strange but from what i'm reading i think Elton John should hear this, never saw the movie but i think your song Paul connects to all in many ways   8)

Skub:
Yo Paul.

Sometimes song need to wait a time before they are written. With those we love,emotions are raw when they die and we are unable to do justice to the person or the memory. It took me around 16 years to record a tribute to a good friend and it was 50 years after my Mum died before I was able to articulate in any meaningful way.

The reason,I blatter on is because this comes across with your delivery of this sweet song to your father. You waited until the time was right and then the song was ready.

Much enjoyed and done with style.

A minor niggle forya,is the bass coming in at 41 seconds clashes with the vocal and distracts. Losing the first two note on the bass would give greater impact to 'Dad'.

Bill Saunders:
Heart wrenching, but positive and uplifting too, despite being sad. And absolutely beautiful. I love the simplicity, and yet it is memorable too. And the recording is really classy. Dare I say, a fitting tribute.

It's such a difficult subject to do without sounding twee - I know this having attempted a couple of songs over the years on the same subject.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version