Oh Delilah (why did you have to go)

• 18 Replies

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« on: May 30, 2019, 03:28:21 PM »
Hi Songwriters,

Keith, Dave and I just finished this, and would love to hear any thoughts you might have.

Thanks,
Lynn

Listen to and Hull Soul Collective  Oh Delilah (Why Did You Have To Go ) by faraway my lovely on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-468459034/and-hull-soul-collective-oh-delilah-why-did-you-have-to-go

Oh Delilah (why did you have to go)

You fell through loose loopholes
Only to hide away from the destiny that called
In the soft blue wistful, sullen light
That gathered up
The dusty smell of hell

Oh Delilah, why did you have to go
Endless summer
Oh, I guess I'll never know

Ignoring all the whispers
We ran under the starry night
The sky was turning black
Church bells were ringing
We never heard the word of God
No we never wanted that

Oh Delilah, why did you have to go
Endless summer
Oh, I guess I'll never know

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »
I didn't expect it to but it took me back to my shoegazing daze in the early 90s and things like Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine.
Love the freewheeling vibe of it and the conversations in the guitars in the middle.

Really catchy hook on it and loads of fascinating detail in the arrangement I really enjoyed. Just felt the vocals were too upfront and it was hard to hear what was going on behind well. I would remix and knock the vocals back a bit and let some of the rest of the details come through a little more.

Really cool stuff :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 05:27:26 PM »
Yo Lynn

It's awesome that you resolutely persue your own path. This stands alone genre free and utterly glorious.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 09:08:40 AM »
this is fab!! brought to mind 60's psychedelia..loved it 8) 8) :) :) great style you guys have 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 10:50:32 AM »
Really clever slow moving musical soundscape that creates amazing dark moodiness and atmosphere. Then the pretty vocal on the chorus, well if you were a singer faced with that backing track, how would you think to come up with that! Really inventive and the chemistry of those two elements coming together make this a truly mind blowing song!

Once it had ended that chorus was stuck in my head big time!

So very different, I really enjoyed this!  ;D

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »
@redrhodie - Not really my thing, but it is well done, any I'm sure would sell truck loads if you released it, I was captivated by the placement of those open hi-hats...and the really cool lead gtr sound.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »
I had really similar thoughts to TBoswell... MBV / Lush / Ride type shoegazey vibe (which is fine company), and I also thought it sounded like a remix of a fuller version.  I loved it but thought it missed some more prominent crunchy mega-distorted rhythm guitar (but then again, maybe that is just me trying to turn you into My Bloody Valentine).  The lyrics and vocals are superb... you're really good at singing dark dark stuff so it feels much lighter, almost playful - and that's a fab contrast.  The 'dusty smell of hell' never appealed more.  Cool sound on the guitar for the 'solo' too.
It's all too beautiful.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 04:56:13 AM »
@tboswell , I agree my vocals are too up front. I need to listen to those bands again. They aren't someone I listen to. Thanks for the thoughts.

Thanks so much, @Skub  ! Appreciate that. We don't try to be our own genre. This was supposed be the blues.

Thanks Kev. I'm always glad when you like one, because you're honest when you don't. Thanks.

@MichaelA , that's actually how we wrote this one. Keith wrote the music and melody, and I wrote the words to fit. The way he had me approach it was to hum to his melody, which seemed impossible at first. But then it clicked, and the words fell like apples from a cherry tree.

@cowparsleyman . Really? Have we become "commercial"? Not sure I like that, but thanks.

Thanks @PaulyX . Dusty smell of hell was dusty smell of fall at first. I'm glad you liked that because I just thought hell sounded better, and made things more interesting. Funny how one word can do that.

Really appreciate the input, everyone. Thanks!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 10:28:17 PM »
Thanks for all the positive comments. I'm not sure how my mojo returned but it did with a vengeance on this song. here's a few answers to the points raised

@tboswell the music is in the background so it doesn't obscure the words. I'm sure Lynn will disagree but I think the balance is right.

@MichaelA we have a chemistry that works. No matter how weird I get Lynn comes up with something magical.

@cowparsleyman I really shouldn't say this but the open hi-hats was an accident of programming. I know enough though to leave well alone when it sounds cool.

@PaulyX if the rhythm guitars were mega-distorted the contrast between the melody and backing track with the words wouldn't work as well as it does.

Thanks again for the positive comments, much appreciated.

Keith

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 01:24:06 PM »
I feel under qualified to comment, but I will. Not heard anything like this before - it's not anything I can imagine coming up with because unlike you, I am pretty conventional and have to stick to structures I understand. I'd love 5% of your unrestrained creativity. 

It's very well played, sung, recorded and produced!

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 03:38:28 PM »
I feel under qualified to comment, but I will. Not heard anything like this before - it's not anything I can imagine coming up with because unlike you, I am pretty conventional and have to stick to structures I understand. I'd love 5% of your unrestrained creativity. 

It's very well played, sung, recorded and produced!

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for this. I really needed to see that right now. Being unconventional isn't always easy, and sometimes it's hard to not be liked by everyone, especially those in power. I'm dealing with this in other areas of my creative life today, as a matter of fact. So I really appreciate that you can see something worthwhile in what we've done here. You've snapped me out of it, and made me feel better.

Cheers,
Lynn

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 10:24:52 AM »
This is thankfully quite out of the box.
You're a strange bird, in a positive way, of course.

I like the music. In parts it's like soundscape.
It seems playful and ambitious at the same time.
Your posts are always a must-hear for me.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 10:30:22 PM »
Always interesting, always original @redrhodie and I just love your voice! Oh Delilah is a great and appealing hook. LOVED it... but then I usually do so no surprise :)!

K

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 01:29:18 PM »
Thanks @Rightly . I'm glad you liked it. Our stuff isn't always easy, and I appreciate that you look forward to them.

@MonnoDB you have one of my favorite voices, so I'm glad you like mine. I'll be getting your album.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 07:59:51 AM »
Hi Lynne. After a few listens I've become quite fond of this song. The chorus in particular is a real earworm and I've found myself humming it over. I'm also getting the shoegazing vibe and although shoegazing is not my thing (I just don't get all the fuss over MBV) I can also detect faint traces of Spiritualised, Flaming Lips and maybe even Sonic Youth. Which makes the song much more appealing to my taste. Would be good to know who you view as your influences. I'm curious?