Hey There, Stranger

• 18 Replies

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 11:38:21 AM »
Not a whole load of love for David Gates and Bread out there

'd happily drag him (if he's still alive) out of his mansion and hold a gun to his head

but I appreciate the very kind comments for my song  :)

My only problem (and please don't take this personally), is that your vocal tone and delivery do not suit the song. IMHO it needs a gentler more mellow vocal which would bring out the underlying beauty of the song.
maybe keep the LVox un-pushed in the chorus, just from memory, he didn't used to let rip...did he?
@montydog @cowparsleyman thanks for the feedback guys, the thing is more inspired by Bread than a full pastiche, he didn't let rip but it's really something I enjoy so I did it! Tried to bring back the quiet at the end somewhat but could have perhaps done a little more...

took me back to the 1970s and for some strange reason The Carpenters rather than Bread.
@diademgrove masters of the soft rock cannon as well those kids! Thanks for the comparison :)

...the problem nowadays is if your not spitting it out in a tuneless fashion ( Stormzy comes to mind) it's never gonna get played on today's radio.. ???
@shadowfax is there a place I can take a class in this tuneless spitting? I'm sure I could master it with enough time :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 11:45:26 AM »
@tboswell - Shame really, Gates was a superb Songwriter and could capture feeling better than many, 'Guitar Man' captured the mysticism of being a guitarist, and I wanted to be that man, it kept me motivated when I was a teenager, practising every day while my mates were out playing footy.

I just think they picked the wrong Band name 'Bread' immediately reminded me of that mouldy loaf in the bread bin, not very rock'n'roll.

Great Work, It's not a genre I'd attempt as it's such a hard act to follow, utter respect man.

Rich

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 12:06:56 PM »
@cowparsleyman
'Guitar Man' captured the mysticism of being a guitarist, and I wanted to be that man, it kept me motivated when I was a teenager, practising every day while my mates were out playing footy.
Yeah, "Guitar Man" is something else isn't it. Full to sadness and longing, the guitar player as a wandering spirit fading away but lingering. Really stuck with me when I was young, the magic and the pathos he summons up.

For those who don't know it:

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 01:15:46 AM »
Brilliant... just brilliant
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)