konalavadome

Windows 10 anyone?

• 13 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« on: May 23, 2019, 11:41:44 AM »
Hi, I'm considering moving to W10, my current puter is 8 years old and getting a bit twitchy, anyone have anything to say about 10? good or bad? I'm a bit worried about the updates which apparently are forced on your puter whether you want them or not..

cheers, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 11:54:43 AM »
Hi Kev, I’ve been running a W10 Hewlett Packard PC for three years and it is by a country mile the best, the most stable machine I’ve ever had. Hope that doesn’t jinx it! I leave automatic updates on and I have never had any problems. I also use the in built Windows Defender as my Anti Virus and it is very unobtrusive.

In the past I have bought purpose built music PCs from the likes of Inta Audio and Scan, but my current W10 one is an off the shelf all in one from John Lewis - it’s dead quiet too.

Highly recommended. @shadowfax

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 01:05:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bill, I appreciate the info..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:06:56 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 02:31:56 PM »
Yo Kev.

Although I use a Mac for music,we also have a Dell with W10. I think all the early problems have been ironed out by now and it's as stable as anything out there. I always back up regularly as everything can go wrong.
The hard drive failed a few months ago,but that's nothing to do with the OS.
Overall,I wouldn't have any concerns.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »
I have been using W10 for nearly two years, I think. I confess to being annoyed by the forced updates, but you can change your settings to "metered service" which makes Windows think you're on limited bandwidth, so it won't do all the updates except when you give it permission or when you log in at a different location.

I also subscribe to a newsletter that reviews all the updates and tells me when they're safe to install. Plus it tells me how to keep the updates from installing automatically. It takes some fussing, though, so you have to be willing to figure out and follow instructions, which isn't always as straightforward as I'd like.

The newsletter is called "Ask Woody Plus". I don't know if there's a non-premium version. You can probably find out more, if you want, at askwoody.com.

Anyway, in real life I seldom do anything about trying to delay or prevent updates (except for setting my computer up as "metered service", which I did once and that stays except when I'm away from home). And I haven't had much for problems. Maybe no problems. It's hard to be sure, when something goes wrong, what caused it in the first place.

That may or may not be helpful....  :P

Vicki

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 04:11:58 PM »
The only problem I had with Win10 is that the interface is different and sometimes feels counterintuitive, but if you’re used to Win8 it’s not a huge leap. Just remember there’s no My Computer anymore and it’s called This PC for no reason haha. You can fiddle the settings and turn automatic updates off and you can alter the GUI so it appears more like Windows 7 and minimises the app side of things. I’ve only just started using it since moving in to my own place because my old computer was just not cutting it anymore. I’ve not had any performance issues.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 06:38:24 PM »
Thanks guys..all very helpful info..very grateful
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 06:59:06 PM »
Whato Win10 safe as houses, but i would strongly encourage you to take every update it suggests.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 07:02:50 PM »
Yeah thanks @cowparsleyman just worried about the update thing because on the Steinberg site some peeps have said the updates interfered with their setup and they had to configure stuff again...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 07:18:45 PM »
I didn't know you could defer automatic updates. They drive me mad, as every time I seem to want to do something quickly I have the spinning wheel of death to look at and that damned 'please wait a moment' message. 'A moment' in Windows 10 can be 15 mins long and the computer is not useable.

Why am I so miffed about this? Well a couple of weeks ago I took a holiday to Greece with the missus. I thought she'd printed our boarding passes. She thought I had. So we ended up having to print them last minute in a hurry as the taxi was arriving, much grumpiness on both sides! I turn on the PC. Guess what 'Please wait a moment' was there again! Taxi ended up waiting 10 minutes outside. More pay out! Wife didn't speak to me all the way to the airport.

So yeah, just love Windows 10. Mind there might be a song there I suppose!  ;) Cheers all, rant over!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 07:52:49 PM »
There are 390,000 new threats every day...

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »
There are 390,000 new threats every day...

Hey CPM, I didn't say my wife was THAT bad. But you are on the right lines! ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 08:09:53 PM »
One day I’ll introduce you to cowparsleywife....

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 09:06:45 AM »
The answer is simple, don't go on holiday.... :P