Agnes Battersby

• 27 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: May 22, 2019, 01:59:35 PM »
Here's a narrative song I have just finished after spending time day-dreaming about some old school friends + some gender related issues that seem to have grown in prevalence in recent years, usually for the good. The story/lyrics became the most interesting bit for me, but as its timeline spans many years then I think I may have overdone the length a bit. Let me know please.

Secondly I have tried a slightly different vocal technique featuring dual voices an octave apart in the feature sections, apart from the end when I have reverted to my usual style of harmonising. Maybe it worked, who knows!  ;)

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/agnes-battersby

LYRICS:

Agnes Battersby

If you remember
Our dictionary, no word ‘transgender’
It was not yet invented
Folk were firmly oriented
But you inspired me
With thoughts that would hot wire me
Androgynous illusion
For the rest of us - confusion

In awe you were that girl

And I would always dream of you
Agnes Battersby from our school
Enigmatic, so cool
That was you
I always wanted to be you
Agnes Battersby from our school
Who no one would dare ridicule
That was true

(Still I do
Want to be just like you
Wah-hoo)

A whole life later
I become investigator
And I stalk you out on Facebook
Your aura cannot be mistook
You gladly greet me
A relief, then plan to meet me
I feel my head go spinning
It’s real, I might be winning
But are you still that girl?

RPT CHORUS

In the fake authentic South American coffee bar
Your statuesque frame fills the door
And you stride over, hug me, maybe take it too far
Kiss my lips till my lips become sore
Then you say it
I look different
But maybe in a good way
And I say it
I am different
Cos of you
I turned out this way
Cos of you
I’m this person today

RPT CHORUS

Now I do
Feel exactly like you
Here’s a clue
Meet Sue
Wah hoo
I’m Sue
Wah hoo
I’m Sue
Wah hoo
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 03:48:18 PM »
Love this, Michael. I was expecting it to be funny, but it's sweet and beautiful. Great singing. I'm listening as I write, and I don't think it's too long. I'm at the middle 8, and it keeps it fresh throughout. Great one. Definitely not too long.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 05:46:51 PM »
A great modern sound and a well written synopsis

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 09:44:15 PM »
Thought this was really good Michael. It's a very cleverly put together song which is as catchy as anything. You always tell a fascinating story with your lyrics. Your own unmistakable vocal style which I think makes your music particularly unique and I like what you've done harmony wise. Together with those twangy guitars makes it an absolute cracker  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 10:54:51 PM »
Very original combination of sounds.  The dual octave vocals work a treat... I'd bank that technique for future use... I've tried it sometimes too but yours sound a lot more natural.  Lyrically what a great theme... very clever, nice twist in the tail - it has that Jarvis Cocker-esque, urban, slightly kinky feel to it.  Splendid indie pop.
It's all too beautiful.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 09:31:51 PM »
Thanks for these comments folks!

@redrhodie cheers! I don't think anyone has called my music 'sweet and beautiful' before, so I will take that!  ;D Amazing!!!

@Skub , ta, yeah relatively modern I guess, thank you kind sir. But while I am on, how come all your songs on Soundcloud have hundreds of listens and I struggle to get just a few. Apart from you being a creative genius, ha ha! What's your secret?!  ;D

Thanks John, very kind of you @pompeyjazz. As deserving winner of the Spring Quest you are obviously a discerning listener!  ;D

cheers @PaulyX , I'm a fan of old Jarvis, so don't mind that comparison at all + thanks for the affirmation re the dual octave vox, which I enjoyed doing!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 12:53:14 PM »
Really fascinating stuff, reminds me of listening to Prefab Sprout. I could imagine Paddy McAloon writing to something like this.

And is the Sue at the end a Boy Named Sue thing? Little Johnny Cash reference?

Musically really works. Vocals work is super, especially the octave vocals in the chorus.

Great listen and thought provoking.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 08:02:45 PM »
Thanks @tboswell , I really like Prefab Sprout though I doubt I will ever reach the creative  heights of their leader, Paddy M. Your comment made me search to see what he is up to today, and he is still going relatively strong, although not particularly healthy these days. But still writing every day, he says, which is amazing.

Yes, there is indeed a bit of a throwback to the Johnny Cash song. I thought it showed how attitudes had changed these past decades. There was a guy being teased about his name and being more macho as a result. Here we have a guy who WANTS to be Sue!  ;D

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 11:18:37 PM »
Amazing song.
I think you were very lucky to have her in the school.
An unlikely inspiration, stranger than fiction.
All the folks from my school were slow burners if anything at all, oh including myself.

Well done.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 12:21:10 PM »
Thanks for this @Rightly. Well the fictitious 'Agnes' in the song is a dreamt up combination of a couple of different real-life girls I knew and worshipped so many years ago!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 01:43:11 PM »
Hi Micheal,

A great pop sound track, this track and your vocal reminds of Pulp or baby face. I saw them on TFI Friday.

I am glad I gave it a full listen as wasn't sure to start from but clever lyrics and a pop sound helped to get me engaged.

Nice track dude,.

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 11:57:42 PM »
Have to say, I'm fascinated by the rhythmic placement and phrasing of the vocals. Nearly exclusively polyrhythmic and offbeat. That is an awesome touch, and it works beautifully.

As for the story and the general lyricism of the song, have to give you top marks for that too. It's engaging, and interesting. The first verse especially, a fantastic opening gambit.

Very britpop, and awesome. I'd love to hear what it would sound like with a really nice grand piano highlighting the chords on it.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 08:20:56 AM »
Yeah, very offbeat and accentuated by the tremolo anti-rhythm in the Chorus, along with those triplet Agnes Battersby lyric - made me mind swirl.

Not too convinced about the Mid 8, that seems too long, could have been sung by a Human League kind of female vocalist, the split octaves Vox works very well.

Really nice work Michael. Top Top work.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
Great song Michael. The lyrics are absolutely brilliant. Wasn't sure where the story was going until the twist and then everything fell into place. Production and delivery in that unique style are to your usual high standards. Like Cowparsleyman I was also not convinced by the M8. It's just not needed. Try another version without it. Will be worth it

Cheers Micky

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 10:26:36 PM »
Hey @MichaelA - this is indeed a sweet song.. It's more serious than your recent material while still retaining that humorous and quirky turn of phrase. Sorry I know I overuse "quirky" with you but I mean it as a compliment... I remember back when you talked about your "sound" well I think it's firmly this. I just LOVE it... Lyrics are superb.. great story, great instrumentation...

I could have saved myself and you all the wordiness - one word really would do it: Wahoo!