konalavadome

SuperFunk 77

• 26 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 04:17:48 PM »
Many thanks to all those that took the time to listen and comment...The inspiration for this was partly seeing Bernard Edwards play 'Good Times' on the TV and also SuperMax's lead Singer...see below...

@macker71165 - Thanks man, sometimes that super tight guitar takes a lot of concentration, appreciate that you noticed.

@Cawproductions - Cheers for the listen and the critique, yeah I played it, took quite a few takes to get it that tight, but really it played itself, once the groove was there. I couldn't decide on the sound of the un processed bass sound. I would really recommend that the guitar and bass are played all the way through an not looped (you get so many 'human' touches, string slides, out of timeness etc., with a minimum of backing tracks to keep one's focus.)

I wanted a lofi unsizzly LVox, I had this idea in my mind that this kind of thing was always a bit blurred on my oldest sisters transistor radio. I will take another look at the prod on the track...That vocal take was a riot actually, I've never done anything like that before so I didn't know how to approach it, so I closed mic'd it with hardly any volume, smiling all the time...part of the reason for the lyrics was that I felt such a fool singing like that.

@Rightly - Thats very kind.

@Bankie - Thanks Man, glad it did it for you...Those funk bands of the '70's wouldn't be seen dead with a dented purple sparkle Yamaha rbx350 (with a n XLR screwed in the front)! so I'm glad I could fake a precision bass. Phew!

@Paulski - Cheers Man - I bet you still have a pair flares that fit....

@Movin Flavour - Well well, Seem to have hit the vibe, glad you dig man.

@redrhodie - I wouldn't go as far as that, awesome! well they were actually a guide vocal, but made me laugh so much I decided to keep 'em, and the image of me trying to dance at a funky disco just made me hoot, I never went to a roller disco, I probably would have ended up in hospital...It was a real laugh, lots of boogying around under the cans, ironically making myself look like a fool.

@PaulyX - I was really pleased with your comment about the vocal delivery, as I did take care in trying to get this right, even though it was a tongue-in-cheek effort...There's a song called 'World of Today' sung by a band called Super Max, I always thought lead singer was as black as your hat, but it turns out he's a blond haired Austrian, so I thought, Yip, maybe I can get away with it too. (btw...that's part of the reason it's called SuperFunk...a nod to him..Hans or Kurt or whatever his name is)

@Skub - Pleased you liked it, and my fingerboard antics...

@shadowfax - Appreciate you took the time, even though it ain't your thang man.

@tboswell - Thanks, Which guitar bit are you referring to? Amplitude is pretty good for most sounds, especially Fender and Mesa Boogie...

better go and put the bumper back on...next one in my Genre Jumping suite is Trance...Wish me luck folk...duff dufff dufff

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 05:05:07 PM by cowparsleyman »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 12:22:46 PM »
Thanks again for all those that listened and commented, inspired by @Jambrains and his recent Album and a few others here....

I just wanted to let you know that SuperFunk77 is now available as a 7" Single, (one that has 2 labels glued to it, remember those?, I want to keep the nostalgia going) , my first.

Apparently it's available on Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, Deezer and a load of others that I've never even heard of.

I'll be releasing 'Genre Jumping' as an album, when I've stopped jumping. Until then I'll be releasing the odd single.

Wish me luck...

(and apologies if it seemed I 'bombed' the thread..maybe I should have posted this somewhere else in the forum... Admins ...Please feel free to move it elsewhere)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:24:37 PM by cowparsleyman »

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 03:41:26 PM »
Hi,

This is so not my thing at all and I normally avoid it like the plague but I can hear that this has the required credentials to qualify as groooooovy. Vocals very Sly Stone influenced in a clever way (how much coke did you have to snort to get that effect?).

Great playing and production with some clever winks to the past.

M

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 05:35:39 PM »
@montydog - Oh Monty you old Dog you...so good of you to listen and review something you try to avoid,  was it Michael Gove guesting on lead vocals? Maybe..

Never had a drug in my life except music and love of course...the voice was just me trying to sound like that, which i suspect JK does.

What is your bag, so i can it to my genre list..

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 04:14:39 PM »
I love this. Your production is stellar as always. That bass sound is great. This has made me want to learn bass guitar!

I am listening in my head phones currently and it sounds to me like the lead vocals could come up in the mix. Because the verses are quite smooth and understated with the vocal delivery I am struggling to understand the lyrics. The same is true with the chorus, that falsetto tracking would really pop if everything was louder.

The Nile Rodgers-esque electric guitars are infectious .
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 08:47:56 AM »
@jacksimmons - Thanks Jack, you young boogie meister...Good luck learning the bass, my only tip for playing bass is really concentrate on keeping spot on time, if you ever play live ensure you and the drummer breath as one, oh yes ...another tip would be to have a couple of drumming lessons, and ask your teacher how close you are to hitting the beat...

About the LVox, @cawproductions also mentioned this, I wanted it to be a bit growly and lo-fi in the mix, with regards the level of the BVox is also a little low, partly because I really wanted a female vocalist to sing those, and I didn't want to overly expose my timbre of my voice, they would have come up a couple of dB if a female would have sung it. The other reason was that finding the level for the George Benson vocal/Gtr section was a little tricky and I keyed them to the BVox/Bass/Drums, overall I was happy enough, but I agree they could have come up more.

The lyrics are disposable, believe me jack, they were designed for how they sound rather than the meaning, I was making fun of my dancing/singing abilities.

Thanks too for the compliment re: the production.

I might do a remix of it later in the year.

Rich

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 01:25:59 AM »
Oh funk yeah!!!
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

Girlinside

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 09:11:44 AM »
Oh yeah man dig that groove - my hips love this can’t add add anything that anything that hasn’t been said before but really really love it so professional great feel about it will add it to my play list x

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 05:22:34 PM »
Meant to comment ages ago but…..

Bet you look a real treat dancing to this in your genre jumpsuit.

Stunning bass...really special, then that electric piano...YEAH!...then of course...that Chic guitar....lovely...all the ingredients. Love the horns and the backing vox too!

Great moving groove and it all sounds so GOOD!

Got a bit of everything here...whistles..George Benson skat....yeah and Sly Stone. Sly is cool!!

Supercool superfunk Mr Cowparsleyman. Very impressed with the sound of this one.

Not to be avoided!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2019, 08:29:57 AM »
Genre jumping indeed! :-) Bass is great but the rest is fab as well. Not a genre I'm very familiar with but to these ears it sounds like the real deal. And the infamous cow bell as well, not very often you hear them these days! :-) Solid work man!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 08:41:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for taking the time to listen, always grateful fot that...

@dinnerwithgreedo - I said Yeah! all the Ladies in the house say Yeah!

@Girlinside - Glad your hips like it, maybe your pips and tips love it too, baby  get on down in the Golden Fleece ...

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - thanks Your Highness, too kind, glad you dig, I've been looking for somewhere I could use the Benson skat, found it at last...

@jambrains - Cheers Man, (love your stuff btw, always did - best wishes for the Album) - maybe its a Cowparsley bell? I put that bit in near the end without the bass as I remember that was th the ink in the late 70's that made folk strut their special funky stuff, David Hammond was a brilliant ancer and I could only watch as he tumbled and twirled his way to local dance fame...His sister ended up as a backing vocalist in our band, she was real cool... full afro and bright red lisptick, such a pearl and a great singer.

This track and On the Slow Glide are now out as Singles in all the usual places, haven't sold any yet, don't really expect to, as Spotify have 20,000 new songs per day!

If I sell 1 I'll be very happy and buy 1 pint of milk with it.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 01:37:48 AM »
I'm glad this one resurfaced. :) I thought I'd commented when it first came out, but I obviously didn't. :-[ Anyway, I totally love it and you must have had a lot of fun putting it together...good times indeed :) It's got a little bit of everything in there...love the little scat around 3:09.
Great bass driving it along. Great job and very well produced Rich :)