• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:16:14 PM »
Is it the composition?
The chord changes?
The lyrics?
The melody?

All of the above?

I imagine that last one will be the answer for most of you.
However, there are too many great songs that only have one or two of those things, to think that it's anything other than an undefinable something.
I mean, Hank Williams wrote DOZENS of inarguably great songs, with nothing but simple chords, simple lyrics, and simple melodies. I mean, G-A-D, so many times.

And, on the other end, Brian Wilson, with a song like "God Only Knows", which is so complex in its construction.

Or Bob Dylan, with his frequently inscrutable lyrics.

So, knowing that there is no formula that one can learn, how does one write an inarguably great song?

Not looking for answers, of course. Just thoughts. Conversation.
If anybody cares to ponder, that is.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 07:35:48 PM »
I think it is much more intangible than you suggest.
Great songs seem to be capturing a new idea, a fascinating personality or a magic moment of musicality.
I think the great songs are written by people who have internalised the skills you talk of and then use them to express something that touch us all.

Have a listen to what Wilco have to say on the matter
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w24AFOLph64

The best songs will never get sung
The best life never leaves your lungs

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 08:36:02 PM »
This is a question which cannot be answered in any realistic fashion.

There is no magic formula for a 'good' song. For a start,how does one define what is a good song?

Is it sales,that's certainly good for the writer/performer.

Is it longevity?

There are way too many variables and too many eras to be subjective,that's even before you get to the thorny issue of personal taste.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 09:41:58 PM »
Agree with Davy. How can you compare some intricately conceived and arranged song by Brian Wilson with for example Teenage Kicks by The Undertones. I'm sure that they hadn't been over analysing their song too much. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate song craft and careful thought, planning and arrangements. It's just so subjective. I'm sure if you asked folk on here to name a great song, some would agree and others would disagree. Hey, it's a bit like SOTM innit  ;D

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 12:35:12 AM »
I think it is much more intangible than you suggest.
Great songs seem to be capturing a new idea, a fascinating personality or a magic moment of musicality.
I think the great songs are written by people who have internalised the skills you talk of and then use them to express something that touch us all.

Have a listen to what Wilco have to say on the matter
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w24AFOLph64

The best songs will never get sung
The best life never leaves your lungs

I 100% agree on the intangible aspect of it all. I was curious as to just spark some discussion on it all. Especially from folks who are looking to capture that lightning.

And, BTW, I used to play at the club that Jeff Tweedy's wife owned -- Lounge Ax. A fantastic place. Huge Wilco (and Uncle Tupelo) fan, myself!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 05:46:00 AM »
What do you mean by Great?

I can only speak for me, some so gs are very very popular but my ears unlistenable.

Some of my favourite/greatest songs have been right here on this forum...

Liberated by Paul Rankin
Underfelt by Niel c and nooms
I can change by @Jambrains
Lazy weekend by @MartynRich

If someone has a huge marketing engine behind means the great song gets lots of listeners but intrinsically a great song is just that and hugely personal...it’s usually an earworm...

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
I reckon there are three pillars of greatness - lyrics, melody and "feeling". If you get one of the three you have a "decent song"; two, a song that many will like; and all three, a great song.

I am usually attracted to songs for one of the above, but then find that at least one or both of the others are present too...

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 05:48:00 AM »
This doesn't answer your question. . . but here is how you know a song is "great." 

You hear it for the first time in years, and you can literally close your eyes and smell, taste, and feel the past just like when you used to listen to it endlessly. 

I strongly suspect "greatness" (like beauty) is in the ear of the beholder. 

I also strongly suspect that instead of talking about "great songs," we are usually talking about our own "favorite songs." 

Our perceptions change regarding songs.  I remember when I'd never heard of "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen.  Still don't like his version.  Heard, but didn't really like Jeff Buckley's version.  Then, Alexandra Burke, K.D. Lang, and several others recorded it and (in my own list of favorites) it now ranks near the top.  Song hasn't appreciably become "greater."  Just done in a way I like better. 

So, I guess my position is that there isn't an answer I'd be able to find.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 10:32:17 PM »
Alchemy!

The secret is just as elusive!

macker71165

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 11:12:48 PM »
As a kid i used too get m in a  hypnotic state over bass guitar lines  i mean
We used too have old  record player with a lid on it and i would forever
Be putting my head on it too capture the bass guitar  which i went on too play in
Bands in the 80s 90s till i hung it up in 2005  same with songs i always prefer melody than lyrics..but when you get a magic were the words have a rythm with the melody and its heaven too me
But yes too me melody is king !!!!