A Little Bit Of Magic

• 20 Replies

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« on: May 16, 2019, 11:38:40 AM »
Hi all,

Put this together recently, trying to dial back the quantisation and do something with a bit more feel, inspired by Van Morrison a bit and that Caledonia Soul he spoke about.

Hope it makes for a mellow yet impassioned listen...

Tom.

--------------

A LITTLE BIT OF MAGIC
(T J Boswell)

First light
You might
Scarcely believe the way it felt last night
T'was enchanting alright

Romanced
Entranced
But could it all be just a crazy dream?
Sure was something

Yeah, there’s a little bit of magic
In the night
There’s a little bit of magic
You can’t fight
And every time you come to me
There will be
Just a little bit of magic

This time
They’ll find
Your hardened heart ain’t taken in so quick
It’s all a simple trick

Sweet words
Soft light
S’all misdirection
You done broke the spell
Your eyes are open

But there’s a little bit of magic
In the night
There’s a little bit of magic
You can’t fight
And every time you come to me
There will be
Just a little bit of magic

℗ T J Boswell 2019

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 12:29:41 PM »
@tboswell
Hey Tom!
This is a really good song, can hear the contours of Van Morrison on this one :)
The lyrics are clever and simple but still tells a great story. The music is fantastic, and I love the guitar and what sounds like a saxophone (Or is it a trumpet maybe), gives a jazzy/bluesy feel to the song.
And you have a really good voice with a bluesy feel to it that matches the song really good :)
Well done on this one!

Cheers
Andreas

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 03:30:34 PM »
Hi Tom.
This is very nice and great production too.

Your vocal is very cool, fits the vibe and sits well amongst the instrumentation.

Not my complete Genre but you gotta recoganise a great song.

Thumbs up here dude. and head nodding along. thats a good sign.
Andy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 08:57:12 PM »
Ah,Ivan Morrison,now there's a chap who does it his way and suffers fools not one bit. He's a local boy to us Norn Iron folk and we love the grumpy old git. :D

Van's talent was always in the arrangement of his songs and I believe you've captured that feel,Tom. The horns and keys play so well together,it all sounds effortless,but I'm pretty sure it wasn't!

Beyond any realistic criticism from me,just great music. Well done you.  8)

Andyb

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:01:32 AM »
Not my preferred genre but a real nice song, very well put together

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »
Yeah it's a thumbs up from me. Your vocals and the brass elevate the song to reach its potential. It would be great to hear live with a band in full swing pushing it out. As it is, the production whilst decent feels a tad restrained. You could really go to town on this one.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 08:16:40 PM »
Oh yes. This is good. I really like this one. Love the lyrics too.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 09:27:38 PM »
This is SOUL Tom. I absolutely loved this one. Loved how you created that retro vibe. Wonderful brass licks and sensational vocals. I think that someone said a while ago that your songs are SOTM winners every month and I'll second that !

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »
First class Tom. Vocals especially good here capturing that Van the Man soulful feel brilliantly. I like his stuff but don't listen to much of anything these days. This makes me want to go and dig some out so that's something ain't it?

The gently bouncy bass gives a nice rhythm to it and the horns touches are nice.....yeah maybe a tad restrained as it gets to the final bit (Micky Plankton) but nice restrained parts they are! Don't know how you knocked that up but DO know how tricky it is to get the dynamics.....and you went for a kind of restrained ending anyway so no matter.....wonder now if this was conscious decision or dictated by the horns...

Guitars sound real nice.

Mellow yet impassioned about says it. Very nice listen.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 01:58:21 PM »
first class soulful vocals, great arrangement and backing brass.
Love this to bits (as I do Van M)
Oh yeah and it's great songwriting on display as well.
Take a bow talented sir!  ;D
Paul

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 10:30:20 PM »
Thanks all for kind the comments!

@pompeyjazz
This is SOUL Tom. I absolutely loved this one.
I'm in danger of writing a soul album at the moment, loving this genre at the moment.
You've been cracking out some amazingly soulful vocals of late.

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra
.....yeah maybe a tad restrained as it gets to the final bit (Micky Plankton) but nice restrained parts they are! Don't know how you knocked that up but DO know how tricky it is to get the dynamics.....and you went for a kind of restrained ending anyway so no matter.....wonder now if this was conscious decision or dictated by the horns...
I'm using something called Vintage Horns that has great sounds but is a little limited in the control over them, so yes some of it is limited to the horns themselves. I love arranging horns almost as much as I do arranging strings :)

@mickyplankton
It would be great to hear live with a band in full swing pushing it out. As it is, the production whilst decent feels a tad restrained. You could really go to town on this one.
I never do anything live anymore but this one would be a pleasure to do. I kind of wanted to hold back the production a bit on this one. Promise and get the kitchen sink out for the next one :)

@Paulski
first class soulful vocals, great arrangement and backing brass.
Love this to bits (as I do Van M)
Oh yeah and it's great songwriting on display as well.
Take a bow talented sir!  ;D
Paul
Shucks! Thanks Paul, always exciting to get the blessing of a master  :D

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »
Yep, this is superb.  Very well crafted, sounds very authentic... and I felt it was a really good exercise in restraint - you keep it simple production-wise all the way through, with not too much going on, but every detail is interesting so it doesn't drag.  That's an art in itself... very finely balanced.  A lot better than Van if you ask me!  I could imagine this having mass appeal.
It's all too beautiful.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 11:24:33 PM »
Gotta say that I really enjoyed listening to that. Well done mate! Sounds fab!😄🎶👊🏻🎶

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 08:18:12 AM »
Whato @tboswell - A magical companion to my walk along the river to work, balanced production nothing to do there, tidy arrangement.

You might consider 2 female BVox lines in the Choruses to add contrast, nothing fancy, you might even blag it with your singing plus some Melodyne formant upward shifting...normally works OK if the song is busy.

Not really into Van but, your song is as good as him.

Nice work

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 03:04:16 PM »
I liked the instrumentation as it is - I wouldn't want it filled out more because at the moment, it's the type of music you'd settle down with your most loved and chill out with. Any more put in and it would start to feel a little too commercial.

Loved everything, especially the little guitar riff which breaks up the flow and keeps it interesting. The chord progression towards the end is also brilliant - love this kind of thing. The only thing I would have done differently is bring the vocals down slightly; yes, I know vocals are super-important to this song, but I thought it was too loud in the mix.

Fantastic song - everything else I haven't mentioned (and others have) is spot-on. Well done.