Audio Interfaces

• 6 Replies

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:58:40 AM »
Hiya!
So, when June comes I get, finally, a big paycheck, and I was planning to upgrade my recording devices. Finally, a few people might say, but my table mic has done its job it was assigned to do :p

I have been looking at Focusrite Scarlet and Steinberg as USB audio interfaces, and I was looking for some up and downs with both of them if you have tried them. They both have top reviews on the site I looked them up, but reviews can lie. Would also love to hear what software you're using them with and if there is any difference in how they are working with different software/DAW's. I am using Logic Pro X, but I also have access to FL Studio 20.

I am also planning to upgrade my mic, with a floor mic with a stand to get some more flexibility in how I can sit or stand, and I have it more close to me when singing, so if any of you have any recommendation on which mic I should be looking at, I would appreciate that :)

Cheers
Andreas 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:48:36 AM by Younger Hills »

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:11:31 PM »
Hi Andreas

I have been using the Focusrite 6i6 (1st gen) for years now. It is very reliable and easy to use, sounds great. I have never had any issues with it. The 2nd gen which they sell now will have lower latency but the one I have is fast enough - I have never had any issues with latency. One of the things I like about it is two headphone jacks with separate volume controls. There are loads of more expensive audio interfaces that have only one. The advantage of two for me is that I use a closed back headphone for vocals and acoustic guitar tracking, and an open back headphone for general electric guitar/keyboard/midi drum tracking and initial mixing. Two jacks are also great if you have another person singing -they get the closed back and I have the open back.

It will work with any DAW - I have used it with Sonar and Studio One - Logic Pro X or FL Studio will both be fine.

There are probably more mics than active members of this forum. I would get a sturdy stand, a reflection filter, and make sure you have a duvet or other sound absorbent behind you as a start. I have an Aston Origin and I love it - works with my vocals well, and also on acoustic guitar. Worth looking at Aston's site. Previously I had a Rode NT3 - it lasted me 15 years.

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 01:28:13 PM »
Thank you @Bill Saunders  :) It is Scarlett I am most familiar with, and I have heard good things about it from the internet, friends and some youtube videos.

The mic I have been looking at till now is the SE Electronics X1 S | Studio Bundle, cause I liked the acoustic screen around the mic.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 07:44:59 AM »
@Younger Hills

I completely agree with @Bill Saunders recommendations - in your situation I would definitely go with a Scarlett

Your only dilemma will be which one to go for based on current (and future) needs

For large diaphragm condenser mics in your range I think the SE, Aston or Rode brands will give you what you want
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 11:14:12 AM »
Thanks, @Boydie!

What my research on the Scarlett has found, is that I think that will cover most of my needs. At the moment I think the 2i2 will cover it, with the small space I got, and that I mostly just use my acoustic or a piano, and then if I like it, I can upgrade it in the future when I get some more space to make a real home-studio :)

Cheers! 

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 02:13:57 AM »
I recommend the Scarlett as well. I use the 2i2 at the moment. If you’re after a quick and easy beginner’s pack for recording, the Scarlett Studio package is a great buy. When I bought it it was around £200. It comes with a condenser mic, the audio interface and a version of Cubase LE. It was everything I needed to get started and I never looked back.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 06:40:59 PM »
Now I ordered the Scarlett 2i2 studio bundle + SE Electronics X1 S :) Was looking at buying it from thomannmusic in Germany as they were cheapest, but due to the stupid amount of custom fee, I had to use a Norwegian retailer and it ended up cheaper than Thomann + customs :p

Next thing on my list is a new electric acoustic guitar. And having used Epiphone/Les Paul/Gibson all my life almost with a Taylor somewhere in between, I have now been looking at Dean and Luna, as I simply just love the design and the sound they make. So, if anyone has tried these two guitar types, I am happy to hear your thoughts on them :)

Cheers!